Insurance 2006-SR22

Hello everyone one. I’m new in the community. I have recently gotten my private few weeks ago and I’m pursuing IRA, Commercial etc… I’m also looking to buy a Cirrus SR22 and would like to know if someone knows a good and affordable insurance company for me with so little hours. I know there is so many other post about insurance but non are recently. I really would appreciate anyone help. Take care everyone!

Other than Avemco which sells directly to pilots, all other insurers in this market work through brokers.

I suggest you call Ryan Konrath of Wings Insurance. His number is 952-942-8800

4 Likes

Two of the most common with great knowledge about Cirrus are Wings Insurance and Travers & Associates.

2 Likes

I use Ryan and wings and I highly recommend him. Great operation. Got me insured as a Student certificate holder in a 2017 sr22. And my rate went down this year, not up.

2 Likes

@Jackson_Gonzaga I use and highly recommend BWI Insurance. They beat all the other quotes I got as a first time Cirrus owner with low hours at the time, and are still more affordable to this day with great coverage. Their service and speed is great. Give Matt White a call, he’s the owner @BWIFLY. His direct number is (951) 963-9566 and email is Matt.White@bwifly.com.

2 Likes

Thank you everyone. I got some quotes.

I went exactly the same path, transitioned from a C172 half way in my ppl training and finished my training in a 06 SR22 five years ago, not many insurance accept low time PPL at that time indeed, but London aviation is one of them with a fair price, between 4~5k for me, they only work through agents instead of talking to owners directly though. I am more than happy to go with them for a few years, later when you have your IR or CPL, choices will be more, like IAG, avemco and etc, and annual premium goes down to 3~4k now.

How was your experience with the transition and maintenance cost? My insurance quote was 12K so I might be considering a SR-20 to build up some hours + ratings to get a cheaper quote. I also hear maintenance cost it’s way higher than an SR-20 . I would appreciate if you could share your experience.

I don’t have much experience on SR20, I can only talk about the SR22TN in California like mine. Transition from a 172 to SR22 is not blink of eye after all, due to the higher power and speed, the SR22 is heavier and more slippery at landing (excellent for cross wind through, easier to handle than a C172 in my opinion), so it will for sure throw you off for the first few hours and the first 20-50 landings, power off spot landing is very different due to faster sink rate, lots of rudder when taking off and etc, then everything goes normal once you get used to it.

As for maintenance, nothing is cheap in California, over the years, the annual typically cost 6-9k depends on how many things broke, hangar and property tax is always non-negotiable, and some “unexpected” fixes that I had included more of less

1. Broken starter, twice, replaced with energizer (best choice), 3.5k
  2. Crack on exhaust muffler, has to replace, 2.5k
  3. Flaps actuator broke, 4k
  4. Prop overhaul, 7k
  5. Broken mag and overhaul, 2k
  6. Turbo wheel overhaul, 4k
  7. Overhaul oxygen tank, 2.3k
  8. Gear drum crack, 1k
  9. Parachute line cutter, 2k
  10. Amsafe inflator, 1.5k
  11. 3 times main tires replacing, 1.8k
  12. 430W → IFD plus antenna fix, 19k
  13. stec 55x → DFC90, 15k
  14. GMA340 → PMA450B, 1.8k
  15. fuel drain leak, fuel gauge adjustments… 1k
  16. … (maybe more I don’t remember)

Oh, don’t forget about the parachute re-pack every 10 years, which is 15k ish, I think, all small things add up, so once you are a happy owner, make sure you leave enough cash in a side bank account that slowly bleeds off, and try not to look at it.

2 Likes

Awesome. Those are nice breakdown. Thank you so much. I’m in Arizona and I was(still) a bit afraid to go with the SR-20 but I believe until I get some hours on this airplane it would be worth upgrading to the sr22 at least so I can “learn” how is to own an airplane.

Thanks again for the help everyone.

1 Like

Hey Jackson, I own a 2006 SR22. Before that I owned a 2002 SR22. Currently, my 2006 is insured for a hull value of $400,000 with $1,000,000 smooth liability. My cost is $4,600 for insurance this year. I have 1800 hours, Instrument, and multi (but I got my multi 3 days ago so that isnt factored into that price). I also have 1,200hrs. time in type.

Just to give you an idea what you can plan to expect… 10 years ago I got my 2002 SR22 with 500 hours and 0 time in type at $155k and insurance was $2,400… Times have changed thats for sure

Wow! prices are completely different nowdays. The one I’m looking at right now is about 2002 SR22 for $210k. I spoke with the seller my self and he said if I paid the asking price he would get the CAPS repay. Although when I went through the agent she said “he no longer wants that offer”. what your thoughts for this airplane. Is it worth that amount?

I had mine for 5 years, put 800 hours on it and sold it for $185k (5 years ago) pretty sure the guy that owns it now paid over $210k…

I paid $275k for my 2006. I had it sold a few weeks ago for $430,000. I ended up backing out of the deal when it came time to sign the purchasing agreement. The new delivery I was working on didnt work out, and I just didnt want to pay such a premium for a “used” new one. Also, not sure I want to spend $900k and be in a cirrus. Going to be dry leasing a 414 for a while to see how I like it, may end up moving to that… OR… keeping my 2006 for the short hops and keep on dry leasing the nice 414 for my longer ones

I think you have the answers, but I’m in line too; low time pilot, sr22tn, Ryan at Wings brokered with London Ins, 12K a year. Working on IR and it should come down then. Goodluck…Avemco would not insure a hull over 250K in value, is what they told me.

Same thing. Another thing they mentioned is that even if I get my IRA on the next month or so. My insurance quote will remain the same for the full year cycle. Only then they would be able to lower my quote. That’s why I’m leaning more towards the SR-20 to build some time in the type and eventually when I’m just building hours I believe the 22 will be my way to go. At least for me it’s just a lot of money just for insurance. My quote for the SR20 came back close to the 3k which it’s almost 1/3 of the SR22

1 Like

Keep in mind that SR20 time doesn’t count towards time in type for SR22 purposes. Higher extra total flight time will help, and IFR, but just be aware of that difference in how insurance evaluates these planes.

3 Likes