How is the SR22 wing attached to the fusalodge

Could anyone tell me how the wings are attached to the SR22? Are they bolted on or are they bonded on in some way. My question relates to a situation that the aircraft incurs wing damage that cannot be repaired and thus a new wing is needed.

Thanks in advance.

Frank

In reply to:

Could anyone tell me how the wings are attached to the SR22? Are they bolted on or are they bonded on in some way. My question relates to a situation that the aircraft incurs wing damage that cannot be repaired and thus a new wing is needed.
Thanks in advance.Frank

Frank: I’m no expert, but I am pretty sure that structurally, they are bolted to the fuselage. The fairings, non-structural parts, are bonded or glued.

But your main concern is, “Are the wings repairable?” The answer is an unqualified yes. Several SR2Xs have sustained damage to the wings (off airport landings, runway signs, etc.) and been repaired and returned to service.

Frank:

The Cirrus wing is a single structure incorporating both wings. This photo is of the first Cirrus to have the parachute deployed by an owner. You can see the slot where the spar carries through to the far side of the aircraft. The photo was taken at the Cirrrus factory a year ago. They apparently removed the wing for repairs and transportation, although I don’t believe there was a lot of wing damage. This is more of a production than in an aircraft where each wing can be simply unbolted, but it’s obviously doable…'cause they did it.

The aircraft is now repaired and flying.

Regards,

Tim

In reply to:

The answer is an unqualified yes. Several SR2Xs have sustained damage to the wings (off airport landings, runway signs, etc.)…

As well as a big A$$ed bird strike. [:)]

Tim,

Thanks for the great photo! I had heard that this could not be done. A picture is worth a 1000 words.

Frank

One of the Lancair sales pitches used regards how difficult the Cirrus wing is to remove and how it will cause major expense with the slightest mishap that requires moving the plane. I suspect it is a “truth” that is greatly exaggerated i.e. the CIrrus wing may be more difficult to remove but, as you show, it can be done…

Not only that, but many wing repairs DO NOT require removing the wing. Composite repair can be done with the wing still on the plane.

Paul,
I am interested in the truth on this topic because I need to know one way or the other. Difficult does not bother me. As long as it can be done I need to provide people with the correct information.

BTW, I am a sales rep for Lancair and this forum has been very helpful!

In reply to:

Not only that, but many wing repairs DO NOT require removing the wing. Composite repair can be done with the wing still on the plane.

The bigger issue with the one piece wing and relatively complex removal come to play when recovering a downed airplane. However, as the picture verifies, it can and has been done.

But really, how easy it is to recover the downed airplane is not high on my list of priorities. It falls way below overall safety, speed, comfort, range, useful load, cost, ease of ingress and egress, avionics, baggage capacity, convenience of service centers, visibility,color, thickness of the carpet, size of the tires, location of the factory, and my horoscope.

In reply to:

The bigger issue with the one piece wing and relatively complex removal come to play when recovering a downed airplane. However, as the picture verifies, it can and has been done.
But really, how easy it is to recover the downed airplane is not high on my list of priorities. It falls way below overall safety, speed, comfort, range, useful load, cost, ease of ingress and egress, avionics, baggage capacity, convenience of service centers, visibility,color, thickness of the carpet, size of the tires, location of the factory, and my horoscope.

Marty, as I loose my mind, hearing and hair I hope that I can keep a sense of humor equal to yours. Come visit soon.

In reply to:

But really, how easy it is to recover the downed airplane is not high on my list of priorities.

Actually, aircraft recovery costs could affect hull insurance costs for all of us, in the long term.

However, Cirrus planes have an advantage. If the parachute has been deployed, the risers can be used as a lifting harness for a crane or a helicopter without damaging the plane any further.

-Mike

How does it work with the Lancair wing?

In reply to:

How does it work with the Lancair wing?

As a precursor to this post, I want to identify myself as a non pilot airplane buff who will read about anyting I can get my hands on. While on the Lancair Columbia 350 website, I downloaded and read the 350 maintenance manual. In it, there is a requirement at the 3000 hour inspection to replace a series of 30 wing attachment bolts. I am going to make a non-educated guesstimate that this attachment would be intrigal somehow with the wing spar for strength. My guess is Cirrus would have something similar.

By the way, the correct spelling describing the main body of an airplanis is FUSELAGE

In reply to:

Marty, as I loose my mind, hearing and hair I hope that I can keep a sense of humor equal to yours. Come visit soon.

I am way ahead of you. I am two for three, and well down the path for number three. I actually get to Portland almost monthly. I will have to arrange for a side trip.

mike,

doesnt that beg the question: to reduce cost of recovering aircraft, why not deploy chute and use harness?

another thought of aircraft recovery: is anyone aware of an approved means to “safety” the chute prior to recovery?