Wings Not Removable?

post was split from click herethis thread

I have been told that Cirrus wings are not removable without destroying the airframe. Is this myth or fact? I would like to refute this if it is a myth. It is from a composite hater aluminum lover…
Also, was told that once the chute is deployed the aircraft is totalled because the wings cannot be removed?

In reply to:

I have been told that Cirrus wings are not removable without destroying the airframe. Is this myth or fact? I would like to refute this if it is a myth. It is from a composite hater aluminum lover…
Also, was told that once the chute is deployed the aircraft is totalled because the wings cannot be removed?

Myth x 2. But people who make these silly statements aren’t likely to be change their position. Facts will only confuse them more.

It is true that an airplane whose chute has been deployed is not airworthy, pending inspection. There will certainly be some repair - could be minimal, or the airplane could in fact be beyond repair.

Of the four deployments that have occurred to date, I believe two flew again, and the other two will. But the chute does not guarantee a good outcome - for the occupants or the airframe. There are too many variables. Like a car’s airbag, it represents the best alternative when the situation is dire, and that’s about it.

The wings come off as one unit, very cleanly. But they are often left on after a deployment, because it’s so easy to hoist the entire airplane by helicopter crane using the parachute’s risers, which are already attached to optimum locations on the airframe.

FWIW…

• Mike.

In reply to:

post was split from this thread

Myth. Here’s a fuselage sans wing and the wing sans fuselage. The wing was removed due to damage encountered on the ground and is being repaired/replaced and the aircraft returned to flying condition.
1-119068-SR22nowing.doc (292 KB)

This question about wings makes me wonder about something that occurred at my home airport (College Park, Maryland) last year. An S-22 apparently had frozen brakes on landing, and skidded off the runway, clipping the outer third of it’s wing on a post. Anyway, the plane looked fine to me, except for damage to the outer third (or less) of the wing. A few weeks later, I noticed all the avionics and interior had been stripped from the plane and it was declared totalled (except for the stripped items, and engine, I assume).

I’ve always wondered why that plane was totalled, particularly when I’ve read how many (all?) of the planes landing under chute are made flyable again. Could it be that a strong main spar transferred most of the energy of the impact into the fuselage structure…doing irreparable damage there? Does anyone know what ultimately happened to the plane in that incident?

Dave,

The NTSB report on the January 22, 2004 incident at College Park is here.

I’m puzzled by your statement that the aircraft was totaled, since according to the FAA a new registration for this same aircraft was issued in November 2004 (see this link).

Cheers,
Roger

I’m puzzled by your statement that the aircraft was totaled, since according to the FAA a new registration for this same aircraft was issued in November 2004<<

I think I clearly got the wrong story on that plane. As mentioned, when I saw it, they had stripped all the avionics, even interior seats out of the plane. Then someone told me it was “totalled”…which I thought was surprising when I heard it. It just didn’t appear to have been damaged beyond repair. It may be they had to open up the floor to inspect for spar damage (hence the seats taken out), and perhaps removed avionics to protect them for transport, from theft, etc. Whatever the case, it sounds like it is still around…and perhaps back to airworthy status

In reply to:

I think I clearly got the wrong story on that plane. As mentioned, when I saw it, they had stripped all the avionics, even interior seats out of the plane. Then someone told me it was “totalled”…which I thought was surprising when I heard it. It just didn’t appear to have been damaged beyond repair. It may be they had to open up the floor to inspect for spar damage (hence the seats taken out), and perhaps removed avionics to protect them for transport, from theft, etc. Whatever the case, it sounds like it is still around…and perhaps back to airworthy status

Dave,

That does indeed sound like a more likely (and much happier) outcome of the “wing-ding” last January.

Cheers,
Roger

In reply to:

I’m puzzled by your statement that the aircraft was totaled, since according to the FAA a new registration for this same aircraft was issued in November 2004<<

havent heard of this with cirrus yet but i have heard of the danger of underinsuring hull value. in other words, if you underinsure thinking you could make up the difference you need to really understand your policy. in certain circumstances the insurer can “total” the aircraft and take ownership to sell for parts or whatever if that amount is higher than insured value.

The link is here for this same plane for sale on controller.com.
The text is:
CIRRUS SR22, 2002, 712 TT, Dual 430s, Sandel EHSI, WX500, S-tec 55 with altitude pre-select, Avidyne Flightmax MFD, damage to outer wing and factory new wing installed, new annual, excellent condition, For Sale - $229,000

.in certain circumstances the insurer can “total” the aircraft and take ownership to sell for parts or whatever if that amount is higher than insured value. <<

Can you elborate more on how this works? E.g., if I have a plane worth 80k, after crashing worth, say, 20k, and was insured for 60k. Assuming someone could make it like new for 65k in parts,labor, I might say to the insurance company, give me 60 grand toward repair, whereupon they’ll say the plane is totalled and we now own it for 60 grand…after which they recoup 20k salvage value. So I get 60 grand from the insurance company, but they take my wrecked plane worth 20k. Is that what could happen?

Warren,

Wow! A new wing and all the rest, and cheaper than a new SR20. Sounds like a heck of a deal.

It’s a pleasure to see this airplane back in the air.

Cheers,
Roger