Wing Tip Extensions

Does anyone have any information regarding the availability of the wing tip extensions, currently used on the SR22, as a possible option for future application to the SR20. If not, who at the factory do you recommend I contact for additional information?

Does anyone have any information regarding the availability of the wing tip extensions, currently used on the SR22, as a possible option for future application to the SR20. If not, who at the factory do you recommend I contact for additional information?

I suspect that this would require a full recertification of the flight characteristics, which is going to be a serious disincentive. I suppose somebody outside the company could do it as an STC, but it still comes back to the basic question: what problem are you trying to solve? I imagine that it would improve low-speed performance and shorten takeoff and ground rolls, but at nontrivial expense in cruise. I imagine that the wing design they settled on was a compromise (like all things in aerodynamics) that gave them the flight profile they thought would hit a sweet spot in the market. I don’t think it will ever be cut out to be an STOL plane…

Richard, Per a recent conversation with Cirrus [I don’t remember the rep’s name] the SR22 “wing tip extensions” are are indeed structural components, not just add-ons, so Dave Katz’s comments are exactly on point re re-certification requirements.

Gary Phillips

I don’t think it will ever be cut out to be an STOL plane…

This is an interesting subject to ponder. When I saw the SR22 at AOPA in Long Beach, I noticed there were two small strakes, one on each side of the fuselage just forward of the wing root. Back at the Cirrus booth I asked one of the Cirrus representatives about their purpose (forget who the gentleman was, but he was quite helpful and informative on this and other subjects). He replied that at near-stall angles of attack the strakes provide just enough lift to reduce stall speed below the 60 kt certification limit. After the conversation I smiled and remarked to my wife “Dang, I think maybe they’re on to something here…”

The 260se/stol which I fly of course has canards with moveable control surfaces interconnected to the elevators. By providing lift at the heaviest part of the plane and greatly enhanced pitch authority at slow speeds, they reduce the stall speed by ~14 kt compared to the stock 182 with a negligible cruise speed penalty. It is interesting to speculate what a canard could accomplish on an already terrific design like the SR20/22. If a stall speed reduction of 10-15 kt could be achieved on this plane as well, it would indeed be a STOL machine (how about approaches at 55-60 kt?).

For our application (Home base = 2800ft.single runway with a persistant x-wind) tkoff and lndg. at gross could be an adventure at night. We’re not looking for stol as much as just a little safety cushion. I’m willing to give up a few knots for the peace of mind. A the time of our “test flight” it was said the wing of the “22” was made from a “20 wing” with extensions added on for added lift… Just lookin for a “20” with a “22” wing.

Richard

I suspect that this would require a full recertification of the flight characteristics, which is going to be a serious disincentive. I suppose somebody outside the company could do it as an STC, but it still comes back to the basic question: what problem are you trying to solve? I imagine that it would improve low-speed performance and shorten takeoff and ground rolls, but at nontrivial expense in cruise. I imagine that the wing design they settled on was a compromise (like all things in aerodynamics) that gave them the flight profile they thought would hit a sweet spot in the market. I don’t think it will ever be cut out to be an STOL plane…

Ruchard,

I second Kevin Moore’s comments about the beneficial safety effects of the canard as used on the 260se/stol, and perhaps available on other aircraft such as the Cirrus products as well. I’ve flown in the 260se/stol, and was amazed at how great it was to cross the threshhold, level at 50 kts (stall is 35kts), and then have a choice as to landing on the first, second or last 1/3rd of a 2,800’ runway. The canard avoids the problem of hanging on the prop, yet does not penalize top speed. The stol benefits should never be pooh-poohed.

Pete

For our application (Home base = 2800ft.single runway with a persistant x-wind) tkoff and lndg. at gross could be an adventure at night. We’re not looking for stol as much as just a little safety cushion. I’m willing to give up a few knots for the peace of mind. A the time of our “test flight” it was said the wing of the “22” was made from a “20 wing” with extensions added on for added lift… Just lookin for a “20” with a “22” wing.

Richard