Higher time PIREPS -- Walt et al.

I imagine several SR20’s have some decent hrs on them by now, and I was interested in hearing a little bit about how they are" wearing." Afterall, whether we like it or not, we all hear talk about the life of composites vs trusty aluminium. No matter how many studies I pull out of my trusty flightcase, invariably someone else simply points to the 20yr old bird and says “well, there’s my proof… And besides, didn’t you hear about the compositie glider that exploded when lightning hit it…!!!” I just smile and say, “I think he was smuggling nitroglycerin”

But seriously,

How is the airframe doing? How about the inside of cowl? The interior? How are the landing gear holding up, bearings, etc… How’s that engine? How about the single-lever…etc? Are you getting any comments during the annuals about issues of wear or stress?

Maybe no one’s posting because everything is perfect! :slight_smile:

Dean

PS - And why did the glider explode anyway :)?

I imagine several SR20’s have some decent hrs on them by now, and I was interested in hearing a little bit about how they are" wearing."

Ours has something like 450 hours on it now - it’s been through (I think) two sets of brake pads, and is about to get a couple of new maingear tyres.

The governor cable had to be replaced, but I suspect it was stiff from new. There are numerous stone chips in the paint (especially the nosewheel spat) owing to the large number of gravel strips and badly swept tarmac areas we have to operate from.

The interior is fine, except for scratches in the grey paint on the fiberglass interior panels - I believe the newer ones are either all plastic, or have a plastic overlay on the fiberglass which eliminates this problem.

IT still smells new (leather) and the engine is clean.

PS - And why did the glider explode anyway :)?

It had no static dissipating mesh in the glass, and the lightning strike passed along the metal aileron control rod from one side of the plane to the other, the heat from this exploded the wing. Both occupants parachuted to safety.