Headsets (again)

We have pretty much beat this subject to death in the past, but I don’t remember any Forum comments on the Lightspeed SR20, the headset Lightspeed builds that is “tuned” for the SR20/22.

Lightspeed tells me it is “better” than a 20XL, but not quite as good as a 25XL and is priced between them @ $495; and is available only from Lightspeed and CD. Can anyone speak to the SR20 headsets vs the 20/25XL’s?

Mick-NC (don’t tell my wife about the extra $495; I’ll tell her it came with the plane – as I pass my old DC’s over to her!)

We have pretty much beat this subject to death in the past, but I don’t remember any Forum comments on the Lightspeed SR20, the headset Lightspeed builds that is “tuned” for the SR20/22.

Lightspeed tells me it is “better” than a 20XL, but not quite as good as a 25XL and is priced between them @ $495; and is available only from Lightspeed and CD. Can anyone speak to the SR20 headsets vs the 20/25XL’s?

Mick,

I was the proud owner of a 20XL and a 25XL when I bought the SR20 (airplane); at which time I decided to buy a set of four SR20 (headsets).

At that time, I spoke to a technician at Lightspeed, because I was trying to determine which headset would be better “tuned” to an SR20 with a 3-blade prop (vs. one with a two-blade prop).

He hinted strongly that the SR20 headset was merely a repackaging of the 25XL; with NO difference at all. He said that the hardware is absolutely identical, and he was “completely unaware of even the tiniest difference” in the way they were “tuned”.

With that said, I admit to the following:

• I could never really tell the difference between the 20XL and the 25XL to begin with;

• I can’t tell the difference between the 25XL and the SR20 now;

• I’m not sorry I got the set of SR20 headsets, because it’s cool;

• I put a lot of effort into making them run off ship’s power, which I’m not sure was worth it (but I enjoy using them that way).

• For sale: 1 25XL in mint condition, box, instructions and all, bought at Oshkosh last year, for $400.

Hope this helps,

Mike.

Mick-NC (don’t tell my wife about the extra $495; I’ll tell her it came with the plane – as I pass my old DC’s over to her!)
I have a SR20 headset and I love it. There was too much “squeeze” for my wife, but I talked to Lightspeed and they made her a SR20 with softer pads and a more flexable head strap, It works very well, no more headache!!!

Mick,

I tried all three of Lightspeed’s standard models at Sun-N-Fun at Lightspeed’s booth in their ‘egg’.

I found a discernable, but not overwhelming difference between the 20XL and the 25XL. In

other words, I don’t think my ears would have

been measurably more tired at the end of the

day with the 20XL. Lightspeed does advertise a

higher noise attenuation for the 25XL.

Greg

It must be great to have a blond wife. :~)

Pete

Well, today just for fun I went flying with the lightspeed 25’s. I own the Bose X now and use the 25’s for the back pass. Here is a brief detail of what it was like going back to my lightspeeds, THEY SUCK! Spend the extra $400.00 and save yourself $525.00. There is no equal to the Bose. On a diffrent note "for sale new Lightspeed 25xl’s great if you do not want the Bose X email me first $400.00 takes them…Ed

Mike,

How did you get the Lightspeeds to run off ships power? By the way, are the “tuned” SR20 Lightspeeds “tuned” to the SR22 by default, or does Lightspeed have an SR22 version? Any input would be much appreciated, as Cirrus called me today asking if I want any Lightspeeds when I pick up my SR22 on June 6.

Dan

Mick,

I was the proud owner of a 20XL and a 25XL when I bought the SR20 (airplane); at which time I decided to buy a set of four SR20 (headsets).

At that time, I spoke to a technician at Lightspeed, because I was trying to determine which headset would be better “tuned” to an SR20 with a 3-blade prop (vs. one with a two-blade prop).

He hinted strongly that the SR20 headset was merely a repackaging of the 25XL; with NO difference at all. He said that the hardware is absolutely identical, and he was “completely unaware of even the tiniest difference” in the way they were “tuned”.

With that said, I admit to the following:

• I could never really tell the difference between the 20XL and the 25XL to begin with;
  • I can’t tell the difference between the 25XL and the SR20 now;
  • I’m not sorry I got the set of SR20 headsets, because it’s cool;
  • I put a lot of effort into making them run off ship’s power, which I’m not sure was worth it (but I enjoy using them that way).
  • For sale: 1 25XL in mint condition, box, instructions and all, bought at Oshkosh last year, for $400.

Hope this helps,

Mike.

Mike,

How did you get the Lightspeeds to run off ships power? By the way, are the “tuned” SR20 Lightspeeds “tuned” to the SR22 by default, or does Lightspeed have an SR22 version? Any input would be much appreciated, as Cirrus called me today asking if I want any Lightspeeds when I pick up my SR22 on June 6.

Dan

Dan,

There is some question as to whether the SR20 headset is really “tuned” at all, as opposed to being just a re-labeled 25XL headset. I’m not aware of an SR22 version. I do like the SR20 headset, though; it works well for me.

For info on running the headset off ship’s power, see click here Headset power, and Poor Man’s CVR - Mike #156 - N84MR & #465 (Wed Jan 24 21:25:47 2001). Pictures are now available on the http://n84mr.cjb.net N84MR site under “Accessory Photos”.

• Mike.

Mike,

Dan

Dan, You’ll be sorry you asked Mike the first question! As to the second, there is no “SR22” version. Lightspeed will tell you they are “tuned” for either plane. Mick-NC