Everyone happy with Lightspeeds?

I need to get another set or two of headsets. I assume that most existing SR20 owners got the Lightspeed 25s that seem more or less standard equipment with the plane. My question pls: everyone happy with them? I have used an older Pilot ANC headset, the 17-76, and like its fit and feel. Anyone in a position to compare-and-contrast Lightspeeds and Pilot? Do those of you with Lightspeeds endorse them? Thanks jim fallows

I need to get another set or two of headsets. I assume that most existing SR20 owners got the Lightspeed 25s that seem more or less standard equipment with the plane. My question pls: everyone happy with them? I have used an older Pilot ANC headset, the 17-76, and like its fit and feel. Anyone in a position to compare-and-contrast Lightspeeds and Pilot? Do those of you with Lightspeeds endorse them? Thanks jim fallows

I’ve been very happy with our 20XLs, which I think you tried briefly CCR–>SBA and PAO–>CCR. How did they feel to you?

My previous headset was a DC 13.4, in the best “David Clamp” tradition. Rock solid, worked well, but my ears felt cramped in them. I added the Oregon Aero replacement ear seals and that improved them markedly.

On the trip back from Duluth I traded off between a Lightspeed 20XL and a Bose X. The X was incredibly light and the audio quality was excellent (as was the noise reduction.) However, my big ears are a liability in them–after three or four hours my ears started to hurt a bit.

The XLs feel as though they have much higher clamping force when you first put them on, but after awhile I stopped noticing it (and it didn’t hurt my head like the DCs.) The ear seals are very deep, giving my ears plenty of space. All in all, very nice (and less than half of the cost of the Xs.) On the down side, they’re heavier and CDs don’t sound nearly as nice in them.

If you don’t mind paying $1K for a headset (and those are aviation dollars, which we all know are less than grocery dollars) and you don’t have big ears, the Bose X headset is the winner. But if you’re pulling soda cans out of dumpsters after paying for your SR20, the 20XLs are still excellent headsets that you won’t regret.

Do those of you with Lightspeeds endorse them?

I have a Lightspeed 25, and I’ve put about 60 hours on it, mostly one hour at a time (I’m a student pilot). They are very quiet, and others tell me that the microphone is very clear. I had to change out the batteries around 40 hours, as advertised. Had a problem with the ANR shutting off spontaneously, Lightspeed fixed it promptly, at no charge, no hassle. No problems since.

However, I don’t find them too comfortable for longer periods, more than two hours. It feels like the clamping pressure is too high. Perhaps my noggin is the wrong size or shape. I’m considering switching to the Bose X.

-Mike

I’ve been very happy with our 20XLs, which I think you tried briefly CCR–>SBA and PAO–>CCR. How did they feel to you?<

Kevin, yes they were nice and felt good. I was curious to hear about people’s reaction on longer use and exposure, and am very glad to hear that yours has been positive. Thanks Jim F.