Everyone happy with Lightspeeds?

I need to get another set or two of headsets. I assume that most existing SR20 owners got the Lightspeed 25s that seem more or less standard equipment with the plane. My question pls: everyone happy with them? I have used an older Pilot ANC headset, the 17-76, and like its fit and feel. Anyone in a position to compare-and-contrast Lightspeeds and Pilot? Do those of you with Lightspeeds endorse them? Thanks jim fallows

I need to get another set or two of headsets. I assume that most existing SR20 owners got the Lightspeed 25s that seem more or less standard equipment with the plane. My question pls: everyone happy with them? I have used an older Pilot ANC headset, the 17-76, and like its fit and feel. Anyone in a position to compare-and-contrast Lightspeeds and Pilot? Do those of you with Lightspeeds endorse them? Thanks jim fallows
Hi Jim I have both a light speed and a Pilot 1716 headset.In my humble opinion I think they are both good headsets. I prefer the lightspeed for the following reasons: 1. lightspeed as a auutomatic shutoff 2 alittle better noise canceling 3. If you wear a cap with the "button on top, with the lightspeed the head cusion is split so the button does not put pressure on your head. I do like the pilot headset for the fact its battery is in the headset. Just discovered this forum 2 weeks ago and really enjoy. myself and two other pilots have #710 Have a good day.

As one who spends a lot of time in noisy airplanes, I think Lightspeeds are the greatest. I Used them before I got N163CD because they had a special for CFII’s that was hard to turn down. The fact that they fit over the ear rather than clamping on is a big plus if you have to wear a headset for more than a couple of hours. I fly T-34s a lot and the noise canceling is terrific. In my SR20, the noise canceling is even better. I spoke with Lightspeed before I ordered a set for my 2-blade SR20 (still don’t see why anyone orders the 3-blade) to see how they had set up the ANR. Turns out that they shot between the 2 and 3 blade. They did a great job. Hit the the button and it is quiet right away. It makes a huge difference on a long trip; I feel much more rested than I did with my old non-ANR big name headset.

Bill Graham

We bought two Lighspeed 15’s for our Piper Archer and are very pleased. Lightspeed told us at the time that the 15 was satisfactory for a single-engine. These battery units retail for about $300. One unit’s noise cancelling feature failed on one earpiece within the warranty period. I’m awaiting repair. The other unit had a mike that required tightening from the inside of the earpiece every few months – somewhat of a pain. Seems to be OK now. Lightspeed guided me through the problem over the phone. Other than that, they are great – very confortable and quiet. Batteries last a long time, although I’m sure the units powered by the aircraft are more convenient. We will keep these two units for passengers and buy two new headsets from Cirrus.

Hi Jim,

My ears have othing but praise for the Lightspeeds after 170+ hours. Changed batteries once.

CU some time out there in the SF area?

HK

Hi Jim I have both a light speed and a Pilot 1716 headset.In my humble opinion I think they are both good headsets. I prefer the lightspeed for the following reasons: 1. lightspeed as a auutomatic shutoff 2 alittle better noise canceling 3. If you wear a cap with the "button on top, with the lightspeed the head cusion is split so the button does not put pressure on your head. I do like the pilot headset for the fact its battery is in the headset. Just discovered this forum 2 weeks ago and really enjoy. myself and two other pilots have #710 Have a good day.

I noticed the reference to automatic shutoff on the lightspeed which implies you need to use a battery box. I currently fly with Pilot 17-79 Noise Canceling with the panel mount in my Commander 114. Great headset but the only problem is on a long trip the end over-the-ear piece of my sunglasses gets pushed into my head and without putting a small piece of foam over them it gets painful after 3 hours. I also have installed the Oregon Aero Ear Seals but still have the problem. Now back to the panel mount I have. I just plug into a power socket and no more batteries. I thought the Cirrus was wired for Noise Cancelling headsets? To me that means plugging in a panel mount unit. Am I wrong in this assumption and that I will have to have a power jack wired in after I get my Cirrus? Please advise.

David Bulman

I thought the Cirrus was wired for Noise Cancelling headsets? To me that means plugging in a panel mount unit. Am I wrong in this assumption and that I will have to have a power jack wired in after I get my Cirrus? Please advise.

David, the noise-canceling jacks at each seat are for the Telex headsets only. You will have to modify the jack and/or wiring for any other panel mounts. Lightspeed, to my knowledge, does not offer a “ship’s power” option at this time; you must use the battery pack with those (and plug into the "regular jacks).

Mick/NC

I thought the Cirrus was wired for Noise Cancelling headsets? To me that means plugging in a panel mount unit. Am I wrong in this assumption and that I will have to have a power jack wired in after I get my Cirrus? Please advise.

David Bulman
Check out Walt’s posting of Feb 18, 2000.

He had the jacks set up for the Lightspeed

headsets. I don’t know what Cirrus charged him for the adjustment. Walt?

David, the noise-canceling jacks at each seat are for the Telex headsets only. You will have to modify the jack and/or wiring for any other panel mounts. Lightspeed, to my knowledge, does not offer a “ship’s power” option at this time; you must use the battery pack with those (and plug into the "regular jacks).

Mick/NC

I’m a bit confused. If Cirrus provides the Lightspeeds (as noted in a previous post, why do they wire the aircraft for Telex?

Pete

I’m a bit confused. If Cirrus provides the Lightspeeds (as noted in a previous post?

Sorry, I’m responsible for this confusion. Cirrus doesn’t provide Lightspeeds, or any other headset, with the plane. But the demo planes I’d seen, and the owners’ too, all seemed to have Lightspeed headsets – and I knew that Lightspeed was said to have tuned one version for the Cirrus’s sound level. It was this informal product alliance I was asking about. jim fallows

Actually, Cirrus does supply the Lightspeeds - they bill you for them right on the same invoice as the aircraft’s. I believe CD was charging something less than $500, a fair and reasonable amount. I’m thrilled with mine.

I’m a bit confused. If Cirrus provides the Lightspeeds (as noted in a previous post?

Sorry, I’m responsible for this confusion. Cirrus doesn’t provide Lightspeeds, or any other headset, with the plane. But the demo planes I’d seen, and the owners’ too, all seemed to have Lightspeed headsets – and I knew that Lightspeed was said to have tuned one version for the Cirrus’s sound level. It was this informal product alliance I was asking about. jim fallows

Actually, Cirrus does supply the Lightspeeds - they bill you for them right on the same invoice as the aircraft’s. I believe CD was charging something less than $500, a fair and reasonable amount. I’m thrilled with mine.

Thanks for your thoughts, fellows (JF & Joe). I guess I’m still confused as to why Cirrus wires for Telex, but sells Lightspeeds that are incompatioble with that wiring. It’s not a big deal. Just wondering since I will be visiting Duluth in a few weeks and will be making some decisions.

Pete

Thanks for your thoughts, fellows (JF & Joe). I guess I’m still confused as to why Cirrus wires for Telex, but sells Lightspeeds that are incompatioble with that wiring. It’s not a big deal. Just wondering since I will be visiting Duluth in a few weeks and will be making some decisions.

Pete

I bought a Lightspeed 25 at EAA in 1999, within 10 months of minimal use the microphone wouldn’t work during a trip in the Bahamas. I called lightspeed and gave me authorization to send them back and within 2 weeks they had them repaired. KUDOS to the great service and attitude at Lightspeed. Cirrus picked another great company to do business with. Rick

Pete

IT is strange and I think we aould all like to know:Why is Cirrus pushing Lightspeed headsets when there intercom jacks are wired for Telex units?

Brian