Have you purchased a position?

I am about to purchase a position in an SR20. I want to be sure that I do it right - and that I don’t forget anything (legal, logistical, etc.) which would leave me kicking myself later.

If you’ve already been down this road, and have any advise or experience to share, please contact me.

Thanks.

I am about to purchase a position in an SR20. I want to be sure that I do it right - and that I don’t forget anything (legal, logistical, etc.) which would leave me kicking myself later.

If you’ve already been down this road, and have any advise or experience to share, please contact me.

Thanks.

Just call Sherri Reynolds, ask for and follow instructions and you will have all your uneasiness proven unnecessary. You will be guided, given valid, accurate information, not sold on anything, and find a commpany and people who are squeaky clean, exercise integrity and place you in truly good hands. I hold two positions, one on each plane, and constantly receive every assistance from Duluth. go for it.

What Tom said is very true.

Everyone at CD is very responsive, extremely friendly and seem to have a ton of integrety. (Now that I’ve overdosed on hyperbole.)

Anyway, I’ve called at various times over the past 3 1/2 years and spoken form everyone form the receptionist to Ian Bently and Gary Black (chief pilot). They have always been great. Allison and Sherrie are the tops!.

If you have any concerns, just call 'em up an talk them out. I was very concernend about the 20’s decreasing useful load and they helped me maket he decision to the 22. Since I hadn’t heard anything about it’s flight characteristics, I spoke with Gary, & I felt he was 100% honest. If anyone else at CD had not been totally honest in my dealings, I probably would not have trusted him either and walked from the 20 contract.

Sorry if this sounds like an add for the company. I’m not trying to. I believe they’ve made some mistakes, but I think they all try very hard and all have more integrety than I’m used to seeing.

Marty

Thanks.

I’ll echo Tom’s and Marty’s comments. Since purchasing a position two years ago I have called numerous times with questions. CD has always been very helpful and honest, even when they had doubtless answered the same or similar questions scores of times already.

Good folks.

Kevin Moore #249

When I was trading up to an earlier position (from 576 to 373) I asked about the new autopilot and transponder and was assured by Cirrus that they would be inclluded in #373. That was not true, and cost me about $8000 when all was said and done. As it turns out, they had misunderstood my question (they thought I meant the Trimble-to- Garmin upgrade) even though I think I was very clear when I asked it and, since the Cirrus person I spoke with seemed a bit uncertain (she had to check with others for advice a couple of times), I simplified the question by asking: “Do I understand correctly that what you’re saying is the #373 aircraft will be identical to the #576 aircraft?” and she said “Yes.”

Anyway, since the upgrade was worth about $8000 (based on Cirrus price inceases) I paid that much more than I should have for the earlier contract thinking I would get it. I asked Cirrus to reimburse me for half ($4000) and they refused.

Joe Mazza

(Former position holder. Current TB20 owner.)

Thanks.

Just call Sherri Reynolds, ask for and follow instructions and you will have all your uneasiness proven unnecessary. You will be guided, given valid, accurate information, not sold on anything, and find a commpany and people who are squeaky clean, exercise integrity and place you in truly good hands. I hold two positions, one on each plane, and constantly receive every assistance from Duluth. go for it.

Anyway, since the upgrade was worth about $8000 (based on Cirrus price inceases) I paid that much more than I should have for the earlier contract thinking I would get it. I asked Cirrus to reimburse me for half ($4000) and they refused.

Ow, that does suck. On the other hand, I can see why they refused–the contracts, strictly speaking, are non-transferable and have a cancellation penalty, so the fact that they actively support a fairly vigorous market in position trading is already a stretch. I think you’ll find most aircraft vendors far less accommodating.

Maybe its all in how you asked the question.

When I was trading up to an earlier position (from 576 to 373) I asked about the new autopilot and transponder and was assured by Cirrus that they would be inclluded in #373.

A true statement, the new autopilot and transponder will be installed in all SR20’s by the time #373 comes off the line.

That was not true, and cost me about $8000 when all was said and done. As it turns out, they had misunderstood my question (they thought I meant the Trimble-to- Garmin upgrade) even though I think I was very clear when I asked it and, since the Cirrus person I spoke with seemed a bit uncertain (she had to check with others for advice a couple of times), I simplified the question by asking: “Do I understand correctly that what you’re saying is the #373 aircraft will be identical to the #576 aircraft?” and she said “Yes.”

Again this is also a correct statement. Perhaps you should have asked whether the new autopilot and transponder would be included with no additional cost.

I really didn’t expect them to reimburse me, but I felt I ought to give them the opportunity to put it right if they were so inclined.

Joe

Ow, that does suck. On the other hand, I can see why they refused–the contracts, strictly speaking, are non-transferable and have a cancellation penalty, so the fact that they actively support a fairly vigorous market in position trading is already a stretch. I think you’ll find most aircraft vendors far less accommodating.

In what way does CD support the “vigorous” position trading market? How does this work?

In what way does CD support the “vigorous” position trading market? How does this work?

They will transfer the contracts and indemnify the previous position holder, from what I understand. Somebody who’s actually done it can supply more detail.

They will transfer the contracts and indemnify the previous position holder, from what I understand. Somebody who’s actually done it can supply more detail.

they will supply the paper work and help you through it if needed. there is a $500.00 fee for cirrus…ed

I didn’t experience a transfer fee.

Is this new?

they will supply the paper work and help you through it if needed. there is a $500.00 fee for cirrus…ed

is the fee a requirement of transfer, or is it to provide the paperwork/legal documentation to support the transfer. my recollection is that the contract was transferable with CD’s agreement.

I didn’t experience a transfer fee.

Is this new?

Yup!

is the fee a requirement of transfer, or is it to provide the paperwork/legal documentation to support the transfer. my recollection is that the contract was transferable with CD’s agreement.

I’ve purchased a position. There is just one simple form to be filled out, with both parties’ signatures. Any other agreements, paperwork, exchange of money, is just between the buyer and seller.

I believe the $500 fee is an just an administrative fee to Cirrus for the transfer in their records.

When the subject of the $500 fee came up, after we had agreed on a price, the seller graciously agreed to pay half of it.

I’ve purchased a position. There is just one simple form to be filled out, with both parties’ signatures. Any other agreements, paperwork, exchange of money, is just between the buyer and seller.

I believe the $500 fee is an just an administrative fee to Cirrus for the transfer in their records.

interesting. looked at the specific language in my contract, and there is no disclosure of a fee requiremennt for the transfer. simply says that the purchaser must obtain the consent of cd in writing, and that such consent would not be unreasonably witheld.

it seems to me that requiring a fee outside of a contractual arrangement which deals extensively with $ issues in all other areas is, well, unreasonable!

if i were you, i’d ask for my money back!

When the subject of the $500 fee came up, after we had agreed on a price, the seller graciously agreed to pay half of it.

Well, sir, you have made the same assumption I did (and which I even “confirmed” with Allison at Cirrus). And you are wrong, just as I was.

The fact is, according to Cirrus, #373 WILL NOT have the new transponder or autopilot, regardless of how long it takes to build it. As I understand it, Cirrus is committed to buy a certain number of the older units. (It’s even likely they’re already in Duluth waiting to be installed!)

Like you, I assumed the new gear would be installed in all SR20’s by the time mine was built and, as a matter of fact, the question I originally asked was precisely the one you suggest: "Will there be an

upgrade charge to get the new autopilot and transponder?" This is where the misunderstanding occurred. After she checked with someone else at Cirrus, Allison said there was “No avionics upgrade charge for #373.” I asked specifically if that meant #373 and #576 would be identical, and she said “Yes.”

What neither she or I knew was that the person she had consulted about the “avionics upgrade charge” thought she was referring to the Trimble-to-Garmin

upgrade – not the new transponder and autopilot. There was indeed no charge to get the Garmin equipment for #373 (though some very early positions holders DID have to pay for the Garmin upgrade) – but the new transponder and autopilot not only weren’t included, they weren’t even AVAILABLE from Cirrus as an option – at ANY price.

See? This is isn’t as simple as it seems, is it?

Joe

Maybe its all in how you asked the question.

When I was trading up to an earlier position (from 576 to 373) I asked about the new autopilot and transponder and was assured by Cirrus that they would be inclluded in #373.

A true statement, the new autopilot and transponder will be installed in all SR20’s by the time #373 comes off the line.

That was not true, and cost me about $8000 when all was said and done. As it turns out, they had misunderstood my question (they thought I meant the Trimble-to- Garmin upgrade) even though I think I was very clear when I asked it and, since the Cirrus person I spoke with seemed a bit uncertain (she had to check with others for advice a couple of times), I simplified the question by asking: “Do I understand correctly that what you’re saying is the #373 aircraft will be identical to the #576 aircraft?” and she said “Yes.”

Again this is also a correct statement. Perhaps you should have asked whether the new autopilot and transponder would be included with no additional cost.

Well, sir, you have made the same assumption I did (and which I even “confirmed” with Allison at Cirrus). And you are wrong, just as I was.

My sources at Cirrus tell me that once the new transponder and autopilot are added to the certification paperwork of the SR20, all subsequent aircraft coming off the line will have the new equipment installed, with a price upgrade for the newer equipment. I am also told this is a matter of months, not years away. The future will answer once and for all which of these stories is correct (if either of them are).

If this is true, then Cirrus gave me bum information twice. Once when they said there was no upgrade charge, and again when they said #373 would be produced per the original contract (with the older autopilot and transponder). Either way, they cost me $8000 (or whatever the upgrade charge turns out to be).

BTW, it’s best not to put too much faith in “sources at Cirrus.” As has been aptly demonstrated in my case, they will not stand by what they tell you verbally, only by what’s down on paper.

Joe

My sources at Cirrus tell me that once the new transponder and autopilot are added to the certification paperwork of the SR20, all subsequent aircraft coming off the line will have the new equipment installed, with a price upgrade for the newer equipment. I am also told this is a matter of months, not years away. The future will answer once and for all which of these stories is correct (if either of them are).

If this is true, then Cirrus gave me bum information twice. Once when they said there was no upgrade charge, and again when they said #373 would be produced per the original contract (with the older autopilot and transponder). Either way, they cost me $8000 (or whatever the upgrade charge turns out to be).

BTW, it’s best not to put too much faith in “sources at Cirrus.” As has been aptly demonstrated in my case, they will not stand by what they tell you verbally, only by what’s down on paper.

Joe

As both a business guy, and a consumer who is very close to buying a position, it should be obvious that oral discussions about a product that involces tens of thousands of dollars are just that, oral discussions. The only thing that counts is a written contract. This is not to defend (or offend) anyone; merely to state the obvious. Good luck to all. CD has a fine aircraft. Pete.