Have you purchased a position?

If you have any concerns, just call 'em up an talk them out. I was very concernend about the 20’s decreasing useful load and they helped me maket he decision to the 22. Since I hadn’t heard anything about it’s flight characteristics, I spoke with Gary, & I felt he was 100% honest.

Marty, would you mind sharing what you have learned about the SR22’s flight characteristics? Thanks…

Marty, would you mind sharing what you have learned about the SR22’s flight characteristics? Thanks…

Sure: I asked how does it fly compared to the '2-? The answers: roll response is very similar. The longer wing dampens the roll response very little. The effect of the bigger wing on smoothness (lowering the wihng loading) is counteracted by the additional weight allowing the end wing loading and smootnhenss to be similar.

The climb is like, “a bat out of …” The acceleration is remarkable.

Overall the plane affords the pilot more flight options thant he '20. Lower the speed to SR20 speeds and with a conmmensurate fuel burn, you get the option of a terrific range or payload, or a comination thereof. The climb (even lowering it to a more sober 1,000 fpm gets you to altitude quicker so you can take advantage of the slightly increased speed. In other words you spend a greater percentage of your flight at cruise so the effect of the greater speed is magnified.

Conclusion from the CD pilot, If I could afford the 22, I’d buy it, but the '20 is still a great plane and if I couldn’t afford it I’d be happy with that." I clearly got the ipression that the '22 was a lot of fun to fly.

That was condensed from about a 10 minute conversation, and to say that the pilot was excited about the '22 would be very fair.

FWIW, I am not hooked by the speed arguments, especiallly when you need to turbocharge to get there. Is $65K worth it a 15 minute savings on most flights? Nah. Turbos, only get you a great boost on about 1/2 the flights. If the higher winds are 50 - 100+ kts in your face, I’d rather go 30 kts slower and only face 20 -25 kt winds. the net speed is better down low where the turbo doesn’t help much.

I also am not sure how oftem most pilots offload fuel in SE aircraft for the sake of load. I like the avgas as extra safety margin, but i do believe the larger engine and faster plane does increas the options.

My big issue is useful load w/full fuel (some call it payload) adn the '22 clearly has more than 150 lbs greater payload even if the '22 comes in the 10 - 20 lbs more than expected.

Have any of you read the 'Pilot" magazine article about the ferry flight to Europe? Great artcle! Clyde if you could post it, many US readers would love it.

One qquestion/comment: The writer/pilot reported the airspeed fell to around 110 kts (from ??) in a heavy raind. why is this? Is it that the airfoil is ‘dirtied’ fromt he water and no longer provides the lift so the pilot has to increase the angle of atttack which increased drag and lowers airspeed?

As long as I can find the money, I’m hooked on the '22.