Gas caps

My gas cap was lost in KFPR. I tried to purchase one from the local dealer until I found out it would be 205.00. Checked all the post but I found nothing. Then I did a little research and found a company in Florida, Bat inc who sold me the whole assembly with shipping for 160 shipping included. They said they will carry caps only in the future for $ 120. If anyone needs one call 941-355-0005. Their part # is CAP2L.

Alex,

Good information! Thanks.

But from what Vin tells me, he probably stole the cap for 1501C! Just kidding. Maybe we should start to lock the caps?

Is this the type of info that should go in the COPApedia?

In reply to:

Is this the type of info that should go in the COPApedia?

Martin, I added a COPApedia page ‘Fuel Filler Caps’ with the info, and a little more.

However, I am going to bring some issues up on the pedia forum.

In reply to:

Martin, I added a COPApedia page ‘Fuel Filler Caps’ with the info, and a little more.

In reply to:

You are da man! Thanks.

Line boy “lost” my port wing fuel filler cap during a lunch break at a Young Eagles flight rally - I taxied back to hangar pretty angry with him and ordered a replacement gas cap through BAT Inc. They were great - quick one day turnaround time. Part is the SAME gas cap that goes onto Cirrus Design SR class airplanes - not a thing different, except the paperwork and serial number engraving. Be advised that the part is technically NOT FAA certified to an end consumer. Cirrus “approves” the part for use on their airplanes under their general type certificate. Cost was $120.00 vs $250.00 from a Cirrus certified center. I was wrestling with the fact of flying the plane with a “non” approved FAA part without an STC or a “field approval” by the FAA but then the airport called and said they found my original gas cap. So…I am going to keep the NEW cap as a spare just in case some idiot (or more likely ME) forgets to put the cap on the plane and I’ll deal with the legal issues when the time comes!

Carrying a spare gas cap is probably not the craziest idea in the world. I am sure it can come in handy

don

This seems to be the most recent thread on gas caps. One of mine is binding internally. The binding is not affected by the adjustment nut. It’s getting worse and may fail at some point.

Is there a repair service?

I can buy a spare Newton cap from BAT here in florida, but it will either have no lock or a different key and, of course, I may introduce a part not consistent with the airworthiness certificate.

I suppose I could just buy a new one from Cirrus and find some way to change out the lock cylinder.

Ideas?

They need to be lubricated. It is in the maintenance manual section on lubrication.

Ok – I feel dumb. How a guy that has been around machinery his entire life can have a mechanical thing in hand, note that is binding, not not think of lubrication is a mystery. Works fine with a bit of lube.

(In my defense, the A&P I was working with did not think of lubrication either. He is similarly embarrassed.)

Thanks for keeping my mind working.

FYI. I carry a spare gas cap. I have had the line guys drop my gas cap many times over the years. I think it was $300, but no potential AOG due to gas cap.

Cheers,

Ed

One of my gas caps is leaking… looks like from the center latch, not the outside seals…leaves a blue streak on top of the wing…

is this an adjustment, repair, or replacement?

btw, I did find this source:

7630 Matoaka Rd.

Sarasota, FL 34243 USA

Phone: (941) 355-0005

Email: sales@batinc.net

Probably repair. They sell a kit to OH the caps. Includes all the o rings. From experience I would guess the center shaft o ring is leaking.

Easy to do.

If your gas cap is 12+ years old, it is probably the o-rings that need to be replaced.

Aircraft Spruce has the replacement o-ring kit for $12. Takes a few minutes to do.

You will need a mechanic or his oversight (and sign off).

Thanks Paul… I’ll get two…

Newton Aero 300, right?

$12.90 each…

also there is an purchase option to Add Manufacturer C of C ($15.00)

I need that?

btw, aircraft spruce sells aero 300 gas caps… locking & non-locking…From $73.75 to $86.75

https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/appages/aero_05-21999.php

Yes that is the one I used for my SR22 G2. According to the parts catalog, it should be the one up to serial 2437 on SR22 planes.

I have never needed that paperwork. Perhaps if your plane is commercially operated…

I’ve never lost a gas cap. Nice to know about that option. I remember that some have paid $300+ and express shipping to get one.

neither have I…

but onetime years ago at a KS fuel stop I failed to properly push down a gas cap tab… after takeoff I noticed the missing gas cap & blue fuel spouted up like Old Faithful… quite a distraction as I flew the pattern to return…

I found the missing cap on the runway at the point where I raised the nose…upon rotation the cap was sucked out by wing suction…

Now I am more careful, & also check the tabs before takeoff…

lesson learned from a stupid pilot trick

A post was split to a new topic: Seeking replacement keys for 2006 Cirrus SR22-G2 Newton gas cap