Garmin 295 key sequence?

My search techniques are clearly not up to snuff, as I cannot find this information even though I know it came up in this forum a month or two ago.

What is the key sequence to un-freeze a locked up Garmin 295 without removing the battery pack?

Thanks and apologies for asking again–Kevin

My search techniques are clearly not up to snuff, as I cannot find this information even though I know it came up in this forum a month or two ago.

What is the key sequence to un-freeze a locked up Garmin 295 without removing the battery pack?

Hi Kevin,
I would never want to sound like I’m biased toward the COPA forum software :slight_smile: but just as an example, I searched for the words “garmin”, “295” and “freeze” on the http://www.cirruspilots.orgCOPA public forum, and the following thread (and only the following thread) came up, under the title of Garmin GPSMAP 295 freeze fix. Hopefully it’s what you were remembering.
Just talked to garmin about the periodic 295 crashes, also reported here by others. The fix I was given had nothing to do with vent holes and did not require that the unit be sent back to them.
The guy said, with the unit unit off, press and hold the Quit and Route buttons and then press the On button. He said that I’d probably lose any user waypoints and routes and that WAAS would be disabled but that that this procedure would fix the problem. A future downloadable upgrade would provide a permanent fix and re-enable WAAS.
Haven’t tried it yet, as I want to see if I can save my routes for restoration.
Gordon

Steve

Yep - that was my post. An update:
That key sequence was given to me as a fix for the crashing problem. Since doing it, I have not had the GPS crash, but it did lose all satellites a couple times not too long after this procedure. Been stable for the last few weeks, but I’ve only put about 10 hours on it since the reset.
As far as recovering from the crash, I know of no key sequence that gets you out of that condition. The only way I found was removing a battery, which is a real pain at night when it is in its yoke mount.
Gordon

Hi Kevin,

I would never want to sound like I’m biased toward the COPA forum software :slight_smile: but just as an example, I searched for the words “garmin”, “295” and “freeze” on the http://www.cirruspilots.orgCOPA public forum, and the following thread (and only the following thread) came up, under the title of Garmin GPSMAP 295 freeze fix. Hopefully it’s what you were remembering.

*Just talked to garmin about the periodic 295 crashes, also reported here by others. The fix I was given had nothing to do with vent holes and did not require that the unit be sent back to them.

The guy said, with the unit unit off, press and hold the Quit and Route buttons and then press the On button. He said that I’d probably lose any user waypoints and routes and that WAAS would be disabled but that that this procedure would fix the problem. A future downloadable upgrade would provide a permanent fix and re-enable WAAS.

Haven’t tried it yet, as I want to see if I can save my routes for restoration.

Gordon

Steve

I have had my 295 for over a year and have never installed any updates? If I install now will I have to worry about the freezing fix??

I would not do the upgrade. Wait until the next version. I did the upgrade, got lots of crashes, and just did a “fix” given to me by Garmin (basically a complete reset). So far so good after the reset, but I want to have at least another 10 hours or so on it before I consider the fix valid. If I feel it is stable I’ll post it here.