Garmin GPSMAP 295 freeze fix

Just talked to Garmin about the periodic 295 crashes, also reported here by others. The fix I was given had nothing to do with vent holes and did not require that the unit be sent back to them.

The guy said, with the unit unit off, press and hold the Quit and Route buttons and then press the On button. He said that I’d probably lose any user waypoints and routes and that WAAS would be disabled but that that this procedure would fix the problem. A future downloadable upgrade would provide a permanent fix and re-enable WAAS.

Haven’t tried it yet, as I want to see if I can save my routes for restoration.

Gordon

I think what the tech’s describing is a “master reset” which will, indeed, cause you to lose all your data and settings.

If WAAS is the problem I’m skeptical that a reset is really necessary since you can disable WAAS from the main menu without having to do one.

I get the feeling that Garmin is groping for answers to this one.

Joe

Just talked to Garmin about the periodic 295 crashes, also reported here by others. The fix I was given had nothing to do with vent holes and did not require that the unit be sent back to them.

The guy said, with the unit unit off, press and hold the Quit and Route buttons and then press the On button. He said that I’d probably lose any user waypoints and routes and that WAAS would be disabled but that that this procedure would fix the problem. A future downloadable upgrade would provide a permanent fix and re-enable WAAS.

Gordon

Regarding disabling WAAS, that’s the first thing I did a couple months ago when the problem started occurring, but the problem still remained.

The Garmin guy said that the procedure he gave me was NOT a “master reset” but rather a lesser form of three-finger salute. He sounded really confident that the procedure would fix the problem. Time will tell.

Gordon

I think what the tech’s describing is a “master reset” which will, indeed, cause you to lose all your data and settings.

If WAAS is the problem I’m skeptical that a reset is really necessary since you can disable WAAS from the main menu without having to do one.

Joe

Gordon

Could be, but I wonder what’s “lesser” about it, if it erases your data like a master does.

BTW, if the “lesser” reset takes three fingers, a “master” must really be a chore!

Joe

Regarding disabling WAAS, that’s the first thing I did a couple months ago when the problem started occurring, but the problem still remained.

The Garmin guy said that the procedure he gave me was NOT a “master reset” but rather a lesser form of three-finger salute. He sounded really confident that the procedure would fix the problem. Time will tell.

Gordon

Joe

Gordon