four Passengers

Can I take 3 regular passengers and a 1 year old in a SR22 legally? I would still be in Weight and Balance.

In reply to:

Can I take 3 regular passengers and a 1 year old in a SR22 legally? I would still be in Weight and Balance.

hi

Couple of quick suggestions — Post on Member Forum for max impact.

• Always do a search of your question first and review the previous posts. For example, if you search under weight and balance, you’ll see an active spreadsheet which allows you to plug in different weights and locations of your passengers and luggage. Your POH is really where you should find this data…but the spreadsheet will give you a good reference for weight and balance questions. You do “scare me” when you ask can you take three adults and a baby …I mean three adults can mean 450 lbs to 900 lbs…so pls be careful !

From the POH:

Maximum Occupancy
Occupancy of this airplane is limited to four persons (the pilot and
three passengers).

A child under two can be seated on a lap without a seat belt; however, the above limit would seem to preclude the operation in question.

Scott,

I think he meant he did the W & B and was fine. Question was can he legally carry 5 “souls” if one is one year old.

I remember something about it being OK to carry an infant (under 2?) on a passenger’s lap - does this apply here?

There is a product called a turbulance belt. It is attached to the adult and to the little person. I do not know if it is legal in our planes. But the thred on this from last year. it seems to be that it is not legal. four place is 4 place. Don

[
I don’t know the legal answer to your question (whether a four place airplane may legally carry five persons, if one is under 2 years old and held in a lap)…seems to me it ought to be legal…but perhaps just as important, you should check your insurance contract. There may be a provision there that requires the plane be flown in conformity with the POH (ie, four persons max), or that every person wear a separate seatbelt, or otherwise restricts you to four persons.

But maybe not…I have a friend, who many, many years ago (ie, 42 years) went on family vacations in their cessna 172. They packed a family of six in that plane! Two adults and a baby in lap in the front, three small children on the bench seat in the back, sharing the seatbelts! They were within W&B and she swears LEGAL!

In reply to:

A child under two can be seated on a lap without a seat belt; however, the above limit would seem to preclude the operation in question.

As far as kids as SIC, there’s always this little guy (from Cirrus’ brochure and web page)…

In reply to:

there’s always this little guy (from Cirrus’ brochure and web page)…

Note how the photo was artfully arranged to avoid showing the fit of the shoulder harness! [;)]

In reply to:

As far as kids as SIC, there’s always this little guy (from Cirrus’ brochure and web page)…

It is legal. And possible! Here’s one of my rug rats…

Here’s the pic - my son at about 18 month’s. Do a search here on COPA for “kids seats” or “booster seats” or some mix of those terms, to learn about compliance with the FAR’s…

It says in the POH 4 people which means 4 people. I have figured out how to do it and have all 5 in seat belts and have all 5 with headsets (4 ANR Bose and 1 Bose with Batteries). I found a very skinny car seat so 3 could fit in the back and then tie the car seat with teather straps through the back seat and hook it to the tie downs in the baggage compartment. Yes, I can also be in weight and balance, but is against the POH. I have a 10,6,4 year old that total weight is 180 ibs. This will work but not very much longer at the rate they are growing! So I guess at the end of the day, you have to decide if you want to take the risk or not and hope for no ramp checks!

Forgot the pictures.

In reply to:

So I guess at the end of the day, you have to decide if you want to take the risk or not and hope for no ramp checks!

Joe,

I’m no expert at any of this stuff, but I wouldn’t do it - sure, I’d be concerned about a ramp check, but a bigger concern to me would be that my insurance might be deemed invalid while flying in blatant violation of the POH. I could be wrong, though.

• Mike.

Airplane or not, what is the brand of the car seat. I need a thin one just to get three in the back of my car.

Charlie

I actually checked with the insurance and they said no problem?! But remember I paid 16k this first year since I was a student when I bought the plane! Maybe with 400 hours and my instrument at my renewal (with 375 in my SR22) my insurance will go down a little?! I do wonder though if something happened, if they would go backwards on the 5th person and use it as an excuse not to pay. I have even thought about going to the local FSDO on this, but probably would be a waste of time. In the meantime, I will sit around and wait for the Eclipse Jet or the Epic Turbo prop so I can have an extra seat for my 3rd little boy!

In reply to:

I actually checked with the insurance and they said no problem?! … I do wonder though if something happened, if they would go backwards on the 5th person and use it as an excuse not to pay.

Joe,

There’s only one solution to that one: Get it in writing.

In reply to:

I have even thought about going to the local FSDO on this, but probably would be a waste of time.

I doubt that the FSDO would be of any help on the insurance front. But if you could get them to give you some sort of waiver of the POH requirement, based on the way you seat your passengers, etc… THEN wave the waiver at the insurance company… perhaps you’d get somewhere.

My pessimism receptor is twitching though… I suspect that your chances of getting the waiver from the FSDO are pretty small.

• Mike.

You can get it at http://www.adaptivemall.com/safetycarseats.html. It’s damn expensive though! It’s basically a handicap carseat and comes in even smaller sizes than mine. Hope this helps