Flight Controls check

I do hope Cirrus will slow down and do a better Quality Control. Cirrus can save money by having less things to fix. Quality Control must be100%.

Here is something that I just received today, I think it is important enough for all you lucky guys/gals that have a real airplane to be aware. This happen in a SR20: While preparing for a takeoff the pilot checked the flight controls and found the elevator down authority could not be achieved using normal control pressure. He taxied back (smart guy) and had the repair shop check it out. The A&P found the elevator control was binding in the pitch trim cartridge assembly. It was caused by foreign object intrusion ( a single cotter pin tailing ( the end that was cut and flew away ) entered through the cutout opening for the pitch trim cartridge ) into the pitch trim cartridge. When checking the flight controls do take each to the stops, how it feels when you hit the stop is also part of the check, if it feels different there is a problem.

I donÂ’t think we are starting a trend of problems but we all can help by doing a very good pre-flight and post-flight. We do thank Cirrus for doing a great job in the Cirrus family of fine aircraftÂ’s but take your time and do it correct the first time. After you do a great pre-flight go and have a great Cirrus day.
:slight_smile:

Woor

Well like I have said.QC aint the best especially when they got to haul ass.I have seen many things that I didnt agree with as of qc checks.Remember you have overworked,underemployed pumping these things out as fast as possible.If this happend on a test flight for pre-delivery the company would have told us to keep quiet about it just like the flap gusset that broke off on the SR-20 about 7 months ago.That was a test flight.There are a few things on the bird I never liked.Or trust.BTW Myron- Good flying and I am glad you got down ok ! Always pre-flight and triple check ! -j

I wouldn’t say 15 planes for the month of July is Hauling A… What the heck is going on up there. That was one of the worst production months yet??

I wouldn’t say 15 planes for the month of July is Hauling A… What the heck is going on up there. That was one of the worst production months yet??

The production numbers on the CD website have not been updated for over a week. Most of the CD staff was at Oshkosh. I’d bet the website production figures jump up by 5-7 planes in the next day or two when they get around to updating it, and actual July deliveries will be +/-20 planes.

Haulin a- … we lost a couple shifts lately as some have quit and such.

The production numbers on the CD website have not been updated for over a week. Most of the CD staff was at Oshkosh. I’d bet the website production figures jump up by 5-7 planes in the next day or two when they get around to updating it, and actual July deliveries will be +/-20 planes.

Jeff,

Have you been given an anticipated delivery date yet? The last word I got from CD was to expect delivery of contract #111 about the middle of October, which is two weeks after the original contract date of Sept. 28th.

Appreciatate the feedback,

Greg

I would settle for less speed and more
quality control.

quality control.

This is the same organization that screwed the SR20 position holders to make more money by making SR22s instead. The faster they turn them out the door the more money they make. They are willing to take quality control hits with a customer base that thinks they can do no wrong.

Art, you’re starting to sound as cranky as me! :wink:

But I agree that there’s a danger in being too accommodating as a customer. That’s why the “partnership” attitude of many Cirrus customers has always bothered me a bit.

Joe

quality control.

This is the same organization that screwed the SR20 position holders to make more money by making SR22s instead. The faster they turn them out the door the more money they make. They are willing to take quality control hits with a customer base that thinks they can do no wrong.

Another view:

This is the company that saved itself and its stakeholders by ensuring that it stayed alive to continue building airplanes; thus delaying (instead of canceling) many orders.

It’s a company that is learning - and repeatedly demonstrates its willingness to learn.

Do I think they can do no wrong? No – they’ve made mistakes, and they’ll certainly make more. Do I think that they’re doing things like deliberately taking “quality control hits with a customer base that thinks they can do no wrong” - no. Maybe I’m naive (although years of being in business dealing with many of these issues ought to have knocked that out of me); but I’ve met the people, and my gut feeling is that they really are just trying to do the best job they can. Most of the individual employees are as dedicated to the notion of re-inventing GA as are the brothers Klapmeier.

Having said that… YES, QC needs to improve; dramatically and soon. What a shame it would be to have designed a great airplane, achieve certification, production, customer loyalty, liquidity/profitability, and all the rest – only to get mired in the muck that will inevitably follow QC-related issues. I’m also sure that this sentiment is echoed daily in the internal meetings at CD in Duluth.

IMHO…

Mike.

I agree with Mike to a point. I’m in business for myself. I know I much rather do things once and correctly than have to back track and do things over again. THAT is not productive.

Many of the Cirrus related issues discussed here are not their QC, ARNAV, Garmin, engine, etc. But there are issues which they are directly in control of: airframe, it’s assembly, etc. And that’s what they need to improve upon. My 2 cents.

Another view:

This is the company that saved itself and its stakeholders by ensuring that it stayed alive to continue building airplanes; thus delaying (instead of canceling) many orders.

It’s a company that is learning - and repeatedly demonstrates its willingness to learn.

Do I think they can do no wrong? No – they’ve made mistakes, and they’ll certainly make more. Do I think that they’re doing things like deliberately taking “quality control hits with a customer base that thinks they can do no wrong” - no. Maybe I’m naive (although years of being in business dealing with many of these issues ought to have knocked that out of me); but I’ve met the people, and my gut feeling is that they really are just trying to do the best job they can. Most of the individual employees are as dedicated to the notion of re-inventing GA as are the brothers Klapmeier.

Having said that… YES, QC needs to improve; dramatically and soon. What a shame it would be to have designed a great airplane, achieve certification, production, customer loyalty, liquidity/profitability, and all the rest – only to get mired in the muck that will inevitably follow QC-related issues. I’m also sure that this sentiment is echoed daily in the internal meetings at CD in Duluth.

IMHO…

Mike.

At the risk of sounding like an apologist for these issues (I’m waiting to see what actions Cirrus is taking before passing judgement), it is worth looking at just how much more screwed up the other players in this market are.

Cessna has had a whole string of ADs on the new 172s. The choicest one was where they “forgot” to put a bunch of rivets in the door frame, which is a critical structural element. It worked out to the better part of 100 hours of labor per plane, because they had to pull the skin off of the airplane to fix it. There was also an AD involving the routing of the fuel line, as a poor ferry pilot noticed that his fuel was going away at a rate much higher than it should have (while out over the North Atlantic) and managed to just make it back to Newfoundland when the engine quit. Lots of other ones as well.

I’m a partner in a late model Baron (of which Raytheon produces 50 per year) and have received roughly 10 ADs in the 17 months we’ve owned it. Several have been control-related (mis-routed or binding cables, etc.)

So far there have been no ADs (other than the TCM one for the bad crankshafts which involved two airplanes, I think, one of which ended up in a field in Illinois and helped trigger the AD) which is way better than almost anybody out there. This is not to say that we should quietly accept QC problems, but as always, a little bit of perspective is helpful.

Jeff,

Have you been given an anticipated delivery date yet? The last word I got from CD was to expect delivery of contract #111 about the middle of October, which is two weeks after the original contract date of Sept. 28th.

Greg

We just received our delivery notice for SR22 #102 for Sept 26th. Allison said that was 1 week later than originally planned for. This date came from the production manager. BTW, is there a post for a delivery checklist and how long are people typically staying in Duluth to deal with squawks, training and such?

Chris

Jeff,

Greg

Greg,

I am tking delivery of my SR22, s/n 0080, contract 085, on August 23!

Jeff

Chris, Take a look through the posts over the last 6-8 weeks. I believe there have been some opinions expressed that will answer some of your questions regarding timeliness of delivery. For my part, our projected delivery date is only a couple of weeks later than the original contract date. I believe CD has done pretty well living up to commitments made a year ago. On the other hand, I know there are a lot of SR20 position holders that didn’t fare so well in the SR22 production switchover. Given the circumstances, it appears CD has done the right thing with the SR22 production vs. SR20 production. Of course I am waiting on a -22, so I don’t have a lot to be upset about.

Thanks,

Greg

Jeff,

Greg

We just received our delivery notice for SR22 #102 for Sept 26th. Allison said that was 1 week later than originally planned for. This date came from the production manager. BTW, is there a post for a delivery checklist and how long are people typically staying in Duluth to deal with squawks, training and such?

Chris

Jeff,

Greg

Greg,

Jeff

Dave and I take delv of #84 on 8/22/01 there by making jeff by the first beer.

Serial # 0091, Contract #0095 is slated for delivery on September 7th.

George

SR22 #95

Jeff,

Greg

Greg,

Jeff

Looking forward to it! (>8 hours of course!)

Jeff

N916LJ

Jeff,

Greg

Greg,

Jeff

I Pick up SR22 s/n 0081 contract 086, on August 24th. Arriving August 22nd. I look forward to meeting Jeff and Ed at Grandma’s Wednesday evening. I like the idea of Jeff buying the first beer.

John R.