Fixed Costs

I am planning to make a decision soon on placing a contract on an SR20 through my firm. If possible, I’d like some feedback on what our budget should be for the following fixed costs:

1. In our area (Northern Virginia), hanger space is rarely available, and if a hanger does open up (we want to base at HEF - Manassas), the cost is over $600 per month. How necessary is it to hanger the SR20, given its composite construction? I’m a little concerned based on some reports of warping of the instrument panel. Is anyone else out there keeping a Cirrus on the ramp in a hot summer (90 + degrees typical), cold winter environment (down to 0 degrees occasionally)?

2. What are the fixed costs on the Garman 430/420 updates (likely will go with B configuration)?

3. Has anyone had an annual yet, and if so, are there any unusual, associated costs? What have the costs been?

By the way, I did a demo flight in the Diamond Star 140. I loved the plane, but it has no practical storage space for luggage. So it looks like the Cirrus SR20 is back in contention if we don’t go for a used Dakota or similar plane.

Thanks in advance for any responses.

– Jim

1. In our area (Northern Virginia), hanger space is rarely available, and if a hanger does open up (we want to base at HEF - Manassas), the cost is over $600 per month. How necessary is it to hanger the SR20, given its composite construction? I’m a little concerned based on some reports of warping of the instrument panel. Is anyone else out there keeping a Cirrus on the ramp in a hot summer (90 + degrees typical), cold winter environment (down to 0 degrees occasionally)?

Jim,

My SR20 is tied down on the ramp at Gaithersburg. We’ll have to see, long term, how it works out, but so far so good. The glareshield warping problem should be taken care of (under warranty of course) by replacing the glareshield with a new type. I never had that problem anyway, as I always cover the plane when it’s parked so it doesn’t get too hot inside. Starting the plane last winter was difficult but there’s a Continental SB out that should make that easier this coming winter.

1. What are the fixed costs on the Garman 430/420 updates (likely will go with B configuration)?

Depends on the database coverage you want (Full USA vs. all of the Americas, etc.) and whether you’re willing to use the Skybound datawriter to ‘burn’ your own flash memory cards.

Costs can be found on http://www.jeppesen.comJeppesen’s web site.

I pay $350 per year for Full USA coverage on both units (using Skybound datawriter), but you can spend as much as $1025/year for worldwide coverage, not using the datawriter.

Steve

Hi Jim. Our SR20 arrive (hopefully) in September and we’ll be based at HEF. We recently decided to not hangar it, but tie down. We’re going to use the difference in monthly dollars and purchase a traffic avoidance system instead. See you there.

Derek

$600/month at HEF sounds high. I have had a hangar there for two years and renewed last winter for $350. Two friends have neighboring hangars at the same rate. Try T-Hangars of Virginia. Also, the ne hangars at JYO are going for around that rate but I understand those are full. You need to ask around to find hangars in this area.

Lou

a contract on an SR20 through my firm. If possible, I’d like some feedback on what our budget should be for the following fixed costs:

1. What are the fixed costs on the Garman 430/420 updates (likely will go with B configuration)?
  1. Has anyone had an annual yet, and if so, are there any unusual, associated costs? What have the costs been?

By the way, I did a demo flight in the Diamond Star 140. I loved the plane, but it has no practical storage space for luggage. So it looks like the Cirrus SR20 is back in contention if we don’t go for a used Dakota or similar plane.

Thanks in advance for any responses.

– Jim