Sr 20

Greetings All! I’m currently in the market for an airplane. I’ve narrowed down my search to either a used SR 20 or Diamond Da 40. I’ve been doing a lot of reading about them, and I’ve been checked out in the Da 40. I’ve also downloaded both of thier POH’s. The Da 40 is a very nice aircraft, but a little snug up front for me. I’m 6’2" and have 52" shoulders. I would like to know more about the sr 20.

1. I’ve read on Phil Green’s web page (I know he is a memeber here, and I would like more of his opinion) that they tend to be hanger queens. That they go down for avionics issues often and they can sit for a while. Is this still the case, or have most of the bugs been worked out?
  2. Does anyone have a sample spreadsheet with total expenses listed out? I’m more worried about the cost of maintenance after the warrenty is up.
  3. I will join COPA, when I get back to the states and can actually fly a sr20. I’m a cheap butt and don’t feel like shelling out cash right now! Does anyone own a sr 20 close to Fayetteville, NC?
  4. I’ve read a lot about them on AOPA, but there are many haters there. But are the numbers pretty accurate in the POH? Also, the POH I’ve down loaded doesn’t have an example weight to do W&B calculations. I know it varies based on equipment, but what is a normal weight? The POH, lists out 2500 and 3000lbs for it’s performance numbers… Just wonder where I would actually fall in these numbers.

Thank you very much for you time,

John P

In reply to:

Greetings All! I’m currently in the market for an airplane. I’ve narrowed down my search to either a used SR 20 or Diamond Da 40. I’ve been doing a lot of reading about them, and I’ve been checked out in the Da 40. I’ve also downloaded both of thier POH’s. The Da 40 is a very nice aircraft, but a little snug up front for me. I’m 6’2" and have 52" shoulders. I would like to know more about the sr 20.

1. I’ve read on Phil Green’s web page (I know he is a memeber here, and I would like more of his opinion) that they tend to be hanger queens. That they go down for avionics issues often and they can sit for a while. Is this still the case, or have most of the bugs been worked out?
  2. Does anyone have a sample spreadsheet with total expenses listed out? I’m more worried about the cost of maintenance after the warrenty is up.
  3. I will join COPA, when I get back to the states and can actually fly a sr20. I’m a cheap butt and don’t feel like shelling out cash right now! Does anyone own a sr 20 close to Fayetteville, NC?
  4. I’ve read a lot about them on AOPA, but there are many haters there. But are the numbers pretty accurate in the POH? Also, the POH I’ve down loaded doesn’t have an example weight to do W&B calculations. I know it varies based on equipment, but what is a normal weight? The POH, lists out 2500 and 3000lbs for it’s performance numbers… Just wonder where I would actually fall in these numbers.
    John P

John, welcome to COPA.

As you have already indicated, the Cirrus success has created a lot of misinformation in the blogosphere. There are over 4000 airplanes flying, so there are lots of people like you who have done their due dilligence and decided that things are better than the critics claim. Not to say there are no problems, because there are avionics issues, there are occasional “lemon” aircraft, and there are vocal critics.

Avionics: lots of progress here over the nine years since the SR20 was certified. Phil Greenspun is an oft-quoted source since his blog shows up in web searches. However, my experience with the COPA membership convinces me that his opinions, while valid for his experience, do not represent the broader set of experiences.

Expenses: several of these have been posted on the members side of the COPA forum. Join and search for them.

Joining COPA: the return from your investment, even if you decide to abandon a Cirrus in favor of another airplane, will be worth it based on comments from several posters who were in circumstances like you.

AOPA forums: since I’ve spent a fair bit of time rebutting misinformation posted there, that forum is slowly shifting to an appreciative tone from a hysterical one. Yes, the POH numbers are accurate for most airplanes. Just be careful to compare different configurations of new and used airplanes, since the POH may only refer to a more recent model. For instance, my 2001 SR22 has an empty weight of 2283 pounds and then I get to fill it with aviation gear and then people!

Have fun doing your research. Then have a great Cirrus day!

Cheers
Rick

In reply to:

John P

Do you need a WB spreadsheet?

Aldawn,
That would be great if you have one.

Thanks,

John

I do not know how to attach in COPA. Please send your email

Al

John, Send me your email. I’ll send a PDF file of a six and a half year spreadsheet on the expenses of owning a SR20. We bought it used with 450 hours on it.

Tom

My home email is dodonnel@stx.rr.com

Tom,
You can email me at john.pitus@us.army.mil. That would be great thank you.

John

Tom I would be very interested in that as well. I have a '06 sr/20 and love it! blaw8theshop@aol.com

John-

I have a 20. flown it 250 in six months and absolutley LOVE the airplane. I’ve owned everything on the planet. By far this is my most favorite airplane. Diamonds are nice airplanes. They fly a little easiler than cirrus but are much smaller cabin wize. 20’s are also holding their value better. Performance is something that you have to understand going in. It’s a great airplane. 2140/3000lbs.

I own a SR20-GTS: 1.5 years of ownership since new; single pilot/operator.

Max TO weight: 3000lbs

Empty weight: 2195lbs

Useful load: 805lbs

Biggest issue: AVIDYNE sucks! (except for MFD/PFD problems, including poor customer service, the airplane works flawlessly). Unfortunately, you cannot get anything but Avidyne in a SR20.

Other issues: right fuel tank leak (@ 75hrs), graphics keep peeling off (replaced 3 times in less than 1 year), right-side pilot seat replaced.

IF I could change my SR20 I would:

1. Increase the useful load (at least by 200 lbs)

2. Change to a Garmin Avionics package.

and maybe…

1. Have an Air-conditioner installed…MAYBE.

John,

I’ve put around 600 hours on my 2002 SR-20 since I bought it in 2004. With full fuel it will carry three “normal size” adults and maybe a little luggage or two adults and two children. In warm weather you have to carefully manage the climb rate, engine power, and CHT. The SR-20 doesn’t like to climb in the heat. Most of my flying is along the east coast between 4,000 and 8,000’. If you run the engine LOP you can expect somewhere in the 8 to 10 gph fuel consumption range depending on your cruise power setting. Running LOP I cruise at 138 kts TAS.

The cabin interior is very comfortable, relatively roomy, with good visibility. The side-sticks really open up the cockpit interior compared to conventional control configurations. The cabin heater actually works.

Mine is a simple IFR machine, with the standard six-pack configuration and one Garmin 430. It won’t fly a coupled approach and I have to make all turns on the airways manually. I hand-fly it a lot. The MFD is pretty to look at if you’re in the clouds and there’s nothing else to see. A basic question to ask yourself is do you want a glass cockpit or not.

I’ve flown the plane from Maine to Key West and Baltimore to Phoenix including many places in between. Just fly it within its design limits, stay out of the ice, keep up on maintenance, and it should be a reliable plane to fly.

John,

I’m relatively new to the Cirrus family and can say I am very pleased with the performance of my SR20. I have a 2003 full glass panel with Skywatch, Emax, Cmax, XM satellite and radio, Dual Garmin 430s, STEC 55X, and Avidyne MFD/PFD. I purchased N8148M in May with about 530 hours but didn’t get to fly it until I returned from Iraq in early July. Since then I’ve flown from Indiana to Myrtle Beach, Niagara Falls, Mackinac Island, Tennessee, Pennsylvania, and Kansas (several times) and have put on about 150 hours. I am approaching 600 hours total flying time since my private and have been working to knock out the Instrument Rating (hopefully within a couple of weeks). This plane / autopilot is outstanding for instrument flying compared to the ADF/dual VOR package I had on the mid-70s vintage 172.

My plane is 2162 empty with a 832 pound useful load - almost identical to the Cessna 172 I’'ve flown most of my hours with. I run rich of peak at 12.5 gallons per hour when I’m in a hurry and get about 150 knots, plus or minus a knot or two. When I feel cheap, (which is most of the time!). I run between 7-10 gph at 130 to 140 knots lean of peak (using Emax).

I have had a few maintenance issues to deal with but the MFD / PFD has performed wonderfully so far (knock on wood). Some of the unexpected maintenance squawks:

1. Replaced two CHT probes, and have another one that appears to be going. I’ve been told the newer probes are better ~$500 to replace both.

2. Small oil leak around the tachometer cable (~250) - replace o-ring.

3. Replaced the main tires ($500).

4. Field control module went (resulting in popping the essential breaker (~$300 with labor to replace)),

5. Garmin 430 internal memory battery replacement ($140).

The bottom line is in my experience so far - don’t expect a maintenance-free airplane. So far I’ve busted my budget by about $1,000 a month, t it does seem to be getting closer to what I expected / hoped for. Honestly though the plane is so much more fun to fly and faster than the 172 that I really don’t mind the extra expense.

I recently installed Cmax ($3200 with labor) and that was a hassle, ended up having a new card installed in the MFD to get the program to upload. I also had a quick-change oil valve installed. I’m now changing my own oil and saving at least $100 per change.

Of all the features on the airplane, I’m most impressed with Skywatch - I’m now aware of airplanes that I never ever would have seen before. It’s expensive but I’m glad I have it.

I too have flown the Diamond and considered purchasing one of them. I much prefer the Cirrus after having flown both. The Cirrus is roomier and the side stick in the Cirrus, makes map-chart viewing much easier.

Don’t tell my wife, but I plan to move up to a 22 in a couple of years, or as soon as I can come up with the down payment. I recently taxied a 2008 Perspective SR22 with the Garmin Synthetic Vision, TKS, the works and almost needed a drool cup. As soon I can find one that I can afford - I’m in it!

Loving Cirri in Indiana.

Richard

Hello,

Did you buy a Cirrus SR20 yet? My wife and I owned a 2006 SR20 but sold it…

If you buy an sr20, get the garmin perspective with EVS. its amazing.

As of this year, I will not be buying an airplane!! I get to do another all expense paid trip overseas… Maybe next year! But with the current prices, I’m leaning towards an older SR22. One issue that keeps me wondering about Cirrus is the BRS repacking/replacing. I wish we knew how much it was going to cost.

John,

Don’t know if you remember me from an earlier contact but I also retired and live in FAY. My partners and I went thru with the purchase of a 05, SR-20 fully loaded 325 hrs TT.

If I understand right you’re deploying again well once you return if your still interested in a partnership please feel free to contact me.

Cliff Roderiques

808-722-2007

Cliff,

I do remember you. How do you like your 20? Yeah, I’m headed out again… And it looks like I will be PCSing some time next year! So I will have to see about the whole Airplane ownership thing.

John

Hi Mr. Hunse-

I recognised your name and picture. I think I trained you in on your SR20 in Dallas. My name is Sean Johnson…if so it would be great to hear from you. my email is s.johnson2@lsc.edu

Hope to hear from you- Sean