FEEDBACK FROM DISCOVERY FLIGHT IN 2014 SR20

Thanks Tom & others,

Rest assured I don’t really dislike a lot about the SR except what I outlined in my intro flight. I have been renting planes for many years and now that I can afford one I realize pretty much nothing has changed in 10-20 years and that is what has really frustrated me. It’s not a question of how much money it’s a question on how to spend it and what to get from it. I feel I am back to 2004 again before the iPhone was introduced and we all dealt with “substandard” or “past generation” products, except I am taking about planes.

I don’t contest Cirrus is the best taxi you can buy today. Unfortunately for me, I am not a taxi driver, nor a professional one (and it seems insurance companies don’t like non-professional pilots driving the SR), I fly for fun. I want fun flying slow or fast. You can always blame the pilot for any accident. For example you can blame the gentleman who died last week crashing his Bonanza in Napa. I would not, I would blame Beachcraft for not having installed a BRS on his Bonanza. At least I cannot blame Cirrus for that, Cirrus made a great choice by making that mainstream. However it seems now obvious to me the Cirrus is best flown fast and by itself (A/P). I did not know that before I test flew it. I really wanted to buy one and then get a real 21-st century plane in 4 or 5 years (like the Panthera). Today I am questioning my thinking. I may still wait and try a SR22 before I decide. As I said I could cope with the current engine or the G1000, but this spring loaded side yoke is really hitting me. Also, in a few years I could be hit with a triple whammy trying to sell the SR: the AVGAS issue, the sudden obsolescence of the design/safety level/economy level when those European developments get finally certified plus the already fast depreciation SRs have experienced.

As far the options, instead of spending $150K on the GTS (larger screens, more electronics and software, carbon paint and what not) I would have LOVED if Cirrus had offered me a $150K…$250K option for, instead, a real stick like the TTX (even on the side), a directional front wheel, actual weight-saving carbon parts and RG (though I would have been OK without RG). That’s just what I meant when discussing the “options” subject.

I really have not taken any decision yet but there is really too much going against me.

By all means, fly a 22. Very different experience, performance-wise.

I think you need a Carbon Cub with some fancy glass. If you want to fly low and slow, why a retract?

Jeff,

I am a glider pilot at heart.

I fly a “glider” with two fans in the back. And can fly slow or fast. But joking apart, I think I found your (and maybe mine one day) perfect response to your needs.

Note that it can go fast in descending air, slowly in ascending air, it has RG, and its engine DOES NOT burn AVGAS. It has a REAL STICK, and I bet you the avionics are not big flat screen TVs!