Easier starting...

… at least, on a Lycoming engine, equipped with a Lasar ignition system. Interesting writeup in two parts at

http://www.avweb.com/articles/lasar1/

http://www.avweb.com/articles/lasar2/

STC for TCM engines expected this year or next (part 1 says next, but it may have been published in 2000).

The articles make a powerful argument, enough to make me want one when it’s available; which should be a lot earlier than FADEC.

• M.

Finding these took a little digging, so to save you the time, here are two places that talk about this on Unison’s site. Go to

http://www.unisonindustries.com/frame.asp?p=media_special.html

1. Select Media Center, Press Releases, then go to "03/23/2000 Unison’s LASAR ® Electronic Ignition Now Available for Lycoming IO-540 Engines ";

2. Select Products & Markets, General Aviation Digital Electronic Control.

Here’s a quote from (1):

“Requests for a wider availability of the LASAR® system have steadily increased since the first LASAR® system was introduced to the general aviation marketplace four years ago,” said Bradley D. Mottier, Senior Vice President of Unison Industries. “We will continue to meet that demand by aggressively pursuing certification of the LASAR system for the most popular Textron Lycoming and TCM piston engines.”

LASAR is the first and only FAA-PMA Approved microprocessor-based electronic engine control system for General Aviation (GA) piston aircraft. LASAR combines traditional GA piston engine ignition technology with microprocessor based electronic controls to improve engine starting, rate of climb, and engine idle, and reduce fuel consumption at cruise altitudes and engine settings. Unlike traditional full authority digital engine controls (FADECs), LASAR provides redundant magneto based ignition as a backup in the event of aircraft electrical power interruption.

• M.

PS - No, I don’t work for them; but it does sound intriguing!

Great articles, thanks for the tip. Since I fly a TB20 with a big Lycoming I’m a prime candidate for a set.

One question, though. I know the system will revert to normal mag operation if the LASAR electronice, etc., fail, but is it legal to fly that way, e.g., for a ferry flight home?

Thanks.

Joe

… at least, on a Lycoming engine, equipped with a Lasar ignition system. Interesting writeup in two parts at

http://www.avweb.com/articles/lasar1/

http://www.avweb.com/articles/lasar2/

STC for TCM engines expected this year or next (part 1 says next, but it may have been published in 2000).

The articles make a powerful argument, enough to make me want one when it’s available; which should be a lot earlier than FADEC.

• M.

Dave Higdom has FINIALY finished his Part 2 article on the LASAR system that he installed on his 1961 Comanche 180.

It’s on AVweb (www.avweb.com) now.

The question is: Will FADEC make LASAR obsolete?

John Mininger

Quakertown

Dave Higdom has FINIALY finished his Part 2 article on the LASAR system that he installed on his 1961 Comanche 180.

It’s on AVweb (www.avweb.com) now.

The question is: Will FADEC make LASAR obsolete?

John Mininger

Quakertown

I don’t have any good information to add, but I wonder:

What’s the definition of obsolete?

If it works now, and FADEC isn’t available now, why wait, assuming you don’t take a big hit on weight? It’s all a matter of opportunity cost.

Plenty of planes out there running KX 155’s and Loran, as opposed to GNS 430’s. I’m sure their pilots are happy enough.

Tom

One question, though. I know the system will revert to normal mag operation if the LASAR electronice, etc., fail, but is it legal to fly that way, e.g., for a ferry flight home?

Thanks.

Joe

Joe,

I don’t know the answer, but I’m sure it will appear here soon! I emailed Unison Industries to ask about availability on our SR2x engines, and promptly got the reply below from Harry Fenton, who is the Manager of Customer Services for Unison. I’ve posted it here with Harry’s permission. He also indicated that he would access this board and respond directly to any questions.

• Mike.

Mike,

Unfortunately, the LASAR system is not approved for the TCM IO-360ES engine at this point. LASAR would definitely be a good match for your engine and airframe combination, so Unison is continuing to push TCM for a development project.

Your comments about the hard starting are interesting. I don’t have a lot of experience with the SR20 yet, so any operational comments are useful. Is the hard starting issue a fleetwide problem or sporadic from plane to plane?

Unison does make a product called SlickSTART that would be ideal for your application. The SlickSTART is a magneto booster that provides significant starting benefits. The good news is that this product is STC approved for your engine and airframe combination.

If you have any further questions, please feel free to contact me directly.

Best regards,

Harry Fenton

Manager of Customer Services

Unison Industries

Hi Mike,

Thanks for forwarding this info from Unison. I wonder, however, whether changing the ignition system in this manner will affect the cold starts at all? Seems like the problem is one of mixture (see Clyde’s post before, this also echos what I heard in Duluth) – that the engine simply does not receive enough fuel during the priming procedure. While the LASAR system does provide some benefits, I’m not sure it will help the specific cold starting problem we’re seeing on the SR2x?

I would think possibly taking another look at the fuel pump design might provide more benefits. Seems that, since the “prime” position of the switch is a momentary-contact (i.e. doesn’t stick in the “prime” position), that TCM/Cirrus was maybe going overboard if it’s true that they were worrying that it might make the engine too rich and cause an engine failure.

Steve

P.S. I like your idea of the toilet/wheel pant protector!

Joe,

I don’t know the answer, but I’m sure it will appear here soon! I emailed Unison Industries to ask about availability on our SR2x engines, and promptly got the reply below from Harry Fenton, who is the Manager of Customer Services for Unison. I’ve posted it here with Harry’s permission. He also indicated that he would access this board and respond directly to any questions.

• Mike.

Mike,

Unfortunately, the LASAR system is not approved for the TCM IO-360ES engine at this point. LASAR would definitely be a good match for your engine and airframe combination, so Unison is continuing to push TCM for a development project.

Your comments about the hard starting are interesting. I don’t have a lot of experience with the SR20 yet, so any operational comments are useful. Is the hard starting issue a fleetwide problem or sporadic from plane to plane?

Unison does make a product called SlickSTART that would be ideal for your application. The SlickSTART is a magneto booster that provides significant starting benefits. The good news is that this product is STC approved for your engine and airframe combination.

If you have any further questions, please feel free to contact me directly.

Best regards,

Harry Fenton

Manager of Customer Services

Unison Industries

While the LASAR system does provide some benefits, I’m not sure it will help the specific cold starting problem we’re seeing on the SR2x?

Steve,

Good point - I don’t know. Maybe it’s the case that a “hotter” spark - delivered with just the right timing, and on both spark plugs simultaneously, would help. I can’t imagine it hurting. But, if there simply isn’t enough fuel, then no amount of spark will help.

Let’s see what Unison has to say. (Anyone from TCM on the frequency? We’d love to get this licked!)

Mike.

While the LASAR system does provide some benefits, I’m not sure it will help the specific cold starting problem we’re seeing on the SR2x?

Steve,

Good point - I don’t know. Maybe it’s the case that a “hotter” spark - delivered with just the right timing, and on both spark plugs simultaneously, would help. I can’t imagine it hurting. But, if there simply isn’t enough fuel, then no amount of spark will help.

Let’s see what Unison has to say. (Anyone from TCM on the frequency? We’d love to get this licked!)

Mike.

On TCM’s website under the listing for service bulletins is number SIL00-11 dated 12/12/2000 that states:

PURPOSE: To Notify Owners, Operators and FBO’s of the availability P/N 655742 Cylinder Induction Port Drain Connector, Replacing Drain Connector P/N 632068, To Enhance Cold Weather Engine Starting Characteristics.

Does anyone have knowledge if this will help our cold start problems?

BTW, I installed a Tanis heater 2 weeks ago. The plane started immediately yesterday with an outside temp of 5F and 10 seconds of prime.

Stuart