FADEC Insight (Very long)

Walter Atkinson, one of the APS (a/k/a GAMI) guys posted these comments on the Lancair Pilots (LOPA) Forums . Walter generously gave me permission to re-post his comments here.

In reply to:

<Re: engine efficiency w/FADEC>

It would be good to remember that to this date, no one has produced an internal combustion engine that has any better BSFC than the TCM and Lycoming engines we are currently using. Not GM, not Honda, not Toyota, not anyone. We complain about how old the technology is in these engines, but so far, there’s not a single gasoline auto engine that is as efficient.

That’s a fact.

FADEC is a remarkable achievment, but IMO, it falls short of being a viable option in aviation. You will lose a LOT of capability with FADEC.

In reply to:

<When asked to elaborate, this was his response>

Before I answer, let me say that I am very impressed with Aerosance’s achievement. It was no small task. In many ways they have made some impressive advances.

That said, and having read the installation manual and studied the trouble-shooting guide (6" thick publication) my educated opinion is that I think it is simply unworkable in the field. I am concerned that there are going to be darned few places where one will be able to get service on the system as it is now configured. It’s a migrain of electrical connections and has multiple failure points which will probably make the system have dispatchability problems

From an operational perspective, it is my educated opinion that they have missed the mark of usefulness. It runs ROP at high powers, and LOP at low powers. It doesn’t take advantage of the natural efficiency of the engine at optimal cruise powers.

At 75% power, an IOF-550 WILL burn 19.2 gph. PERIOD. The pilot can do nothing about it. At 65% power it will be SLOW because FADEC WILL run LOP at 65% and below. That will be slow. And, the pilot can do nothing about it.

I ask the Lancair crowd these questions:

1. Did you by a Lancair to go slow?

2. Are you happy with the range a fuel burn of 19.2 gph will give you if you want to go fast?

These are not my opinions. They are the facts taken directly from the FADEC manual. I have no choice but to take the FADEC manual at its word.

Very, very soon there will be a much better option which allows the pilot to retain full control. PRISM. Under PRISM a Lancair will be able to cruise at very, very high power settings on less fuel than we are currently using. I am very familiar with the system and have been flying at above 90% power for a number of hours during testing. George Braly has his engine at approx. 1500 hours that has been run at above 85% it’s entire life. Not a single cylinder has been changed and nothing other than routine maintenence has been preformed. At 1000 hours a teardown was done and all measurements were within NEW limits. It was simply re-assembled and it continues on.

FADEC will burn 19.2 gph to get 75% or 225 HP. PRISM will allow the same IO-550 to operate at 95% power on the same 19.2 gph with lower CHT’s! That’s 286 HP. It’s being done. A PRISM operated engine will produce 75% power on 15 gph.

The beauty of this is that the flying public will have a choice as to which they’d rather have. 225 HP on 19.2 gph or 225 HP on 15 gph. Not to mention the ability to cruise at much higher powers than heretofore unmanageable. Can you imagine how fast a Lancair IVP will be while producing 286 HP? WOW! And all the while with lower CHTs.

I’ve seen it work.

Disclaimer: I do not work for GAMI and have no business affiliation with them in any way. I have been privy to their research from the early stages.

FADEC is a fine accomplishment of engineering prowess. In my oinion, they’ve missed the operational mark and I fear those operating the system will have significant maintenance problems–even with the above-average A&P.

In reply to:

(the comments in astericks are quotes posted by Walter)

You only have to forget just once to enrichen the engine on decent .

That’s an interesting concern. I run my IO-550 LOP in cruise the vast majority of the time. I NEVER richen the mixture in the descent. I do not touch the mixture from LOP cruise, through the let-down, approach, and landing until I’m at the hangar ready to shut down. I’ve never had an engine quit from this practice.

I think a Cirrus did that and wound up in a field at the end of a “practice” power off situation.

Something else had to be wrong.

I would think that dependability of FADEC would be good. Electronic ignition has proven itself in other engines and with what they are having to go through to get certification makes me comfortable with FADEC.

What makes you think it will be dependable? It’s cetiabnlynot electronically simple. There are something on the order of 29 sensors and 165 electrical connections living in a hostile, under-cowl environmen. Automotive ignition systems are not like aircraft ignition systems in their specific needs. Besides, if your electronic ignition in you Honda quits, you just pull over. Certification has nothing to do with whether or not the system will do what the pilot needs or wants.

If short range when going fast is OK with you and being very slow when high in a NA airplane is OK with you, then FADEC will make you happy. If you choose fast, it will be very rich and the maintenance problems associated with that will be an issue.

If your major issue is a fear of the Reb Knob and you are not interested in learning how to manage the Red Knob properly, then you will likely be happy with TCM’s version of FADEC.

It certainly will apply to a segment of the pilot population. I’m just not in that segment. Time will tell if my maintenance concerns are unfounded. For ten grand PLUS installation (which, so far as I know, has only been successfully accomplished in Fairhope, Alabama) I’ll let someone else try it.

In reply to:

• Maybe I need to look harder but I just don’t see or hear anyone else so down on FADEC. *

Please understand, I am not DOWN on FADEC. This thing was designed by a bunch of really smart folks and they’ve done some really good work–in some ways.

OTOH, I was compelled to do more than just believe the advertising hype. It was my responsibility to learn about it. To study it. In doing so, I learned some things that are not mentioned in the advertising hype. There are other, much more significant concerns on my part about the system which I discussed with them directly. They have not addressed those concerns. Time will tell as to whether or not my concerns are ill-founded. To my knowledge, there are only a handfull of FADEC controlled airplanes in private hands. I only know of one Bonanza, the first airplane certified for FADEC.

As I said, it’s not for me in it’s current configuration. Three years ago, I told Steve Smith that I thought that in it’s current configuration it was unworkable in the field. I have seen nothing change which would disswade me from that opinion. That saddens me.

I’m not DOWN on FADEC; I am reasonably educated about it and have studied it’s operating parameters rather than just read the TCM print media ads. That is the basis for my opinion.

In reply to:

As you are aware, there are two separate issues concerning engine longevity and TCM’s recent problems.

1. There are some issues which NO amount of pilot input will affect. Exhaust valve assembly practices come to mind.

2. There are, indeed, things a pilot can do to extend the life of his engine and reduce maintenance costs. The primary thing he can do is manage the mixture in such a way as to limit the internal cylinder pressures. That alone seems to be the most important thing a pilot needs to understand.

The bad news is that requires a modicum of understanding and as you experienced, a willingness to study just a teeny bit!

This concept is not compatible with the desire to have one “accelerator pedal” in an airplane.

In reply to:

Let me try to use a little less bandwidth and answer several of you with one message.

1. TCM injector tolerances are not very tight. In measuring ten sets of injectors at random, only 3 sets were found to have close enough FF tolerances to allow smooth LOP operation. That means that 70% of them are out of their own tolerance range.

Further, TCM has no ability to tweak nozzels like GAMI does. If they’re off, they can only send you a whole new set. Again, with a 30% chance that they will be adequate.

1. George Braly is one picky fellow. He is NOT going to release a Beta Version of PRISM. About six months ago, he had a revelation on how to reduce the entire system down to just a very few wires–thus reducing the failure modes and increasing the reliablity to something far better than any system we have ever seen. That improvement will be well worth the wait. The system is working. It is under certification testing now. Also, recently a new, more robust pressure tranducer design came available. The hold-up for some time was the FAA’s rules on Certification standards. To what level did it have to be certified?? The cost is expected to come in at about the same cost as maintaining a set of Bendix Mags to TBO.

2. PRISM is nothing like FADEC and doesn’t attempt to accomplish the same end. PRISM does one thing. It adjusts timing to control internal cylnder pressures. In doing so, it will not allow detonation to exist! It also will adjust the timing of each individual cylinder. This allows the pilot the FULL use of the mixture based on the mission requirements while protecting the engine from a ham-fisted pilot error. You simply will not be able to MAKE your engine detonate by screwing up. It will NOT allow it. All the while, the engine will continue to run. PRISM will allow higher takeoff HP and higher Cruise HP on less fuel as a result of maintaining the ThetaPP at the optimal point after top dead center. We demonstrate this during the class with an engine running on PRISM.

3. Ultimate Engines builds a very good engine. The way they re-do the valve geometry addresses the dreaded TCM VD (valve disease) problem and our experience is that long cylinder life is the happy result. I feel very comfortable and confident flying behind an Ultimate Engine. Ultimate offers an extended warranty to anyone who has attended the APS class and operates their engine according to our recomendations. That’s putting their money where our mouth is! They tell me that that has cost them ZERO, since the combiniation of their engine building methods and our operating techniques seems to result in excellent engine longevity.

4. Advanced Pilot Seminars is not owned by nor presented by GAMI. John Deakin nor I work for GAMI or own any stock in GAMI. APS is owned and presented by John Deakin, myself, and George Braly, (who is a principle in both). Tim Roehl at GAMI is kind enough to host the Seminars and allow us the use of the Carl Goulet Memorial Engine Test Facility during the classes (which we pay for). We are all good friends, and as such have close personal relationships—but it’s not a GAMI school! I wouldn’t want them to get blamed for me!

5. The exaust plumbing lives a tough life. BUT, the temperature of the exhaust plumbing is nowhere near the temperature of the exhaust gasses within. The pipes are hundreds of degrees cooler than the exhaust gasses. A thermal boundary layer protects the plumbing in the same way that a thermal boundary layer protects the cyinder fomr the 3500 degree combusiton gasses. The ceramic coating does seem to help keep the temperature under the cowl moderated somewhat. This could be a very good thing in a plastic airframe!

I hope this answered all of the issues asked of me in the above posts.

Thanks to Walter for this insight and his permission to re-post, and the Lancair Forum for provoding the venue, and John Deakin and George Braley for their landmark work in the LOP area and publicizing it.

Excellent stuff! - Thank you, Marty, for posting.

• Mike.

In reply to:

There are something on the order of 29 sensors and 165 electrical connections living in a hostile, under-cowl environmen.

When you ask TCM guys about this, they explain how all the sensors fail-safe. But when I asked which sensor failures would prevent dispatch, they couldn’t answer.

Thanks for that post. I used to be so gung-ho for FADEC that I stipulated it on my initial purchase contract for my Cirrus! After learning more about engine operation at APS and talking to George Braly there, I’m soooo glad I didn’t wait for it.

I believe that availability of a suitable and cost-effective in-cylinder pressure transducer was at one point a hurdle for PRISM, and it sounds like they may have overcome that one.

One advantage of PRISM not mentioned in your post is that the system will accomodate just about any fuel you dump into it, without any need for recalibrating or adjusting anything, since the system is real-time adaptive to the actual combustion event in each individual cylinder. TCM’s FADEC is hard-wired to current avgas, with its complex multiple lookup table approach to timing.

The Reverend Dr. Atkinson is right on here. Having known the good Reverend and Saint George of Ada himself, for many years I believe that you can rely on their expert opinions and advice without reservation. While TCM, Lyc and others have challeneged them over the OWT’s over the years, not one has held up to any scrutiny.

Disclaimer: I am one of the Founding Fathers of the Church of the Lean of Peak (COTLOP). Six of us were ordained by Rev. Doug Ranz in Michigan about four yeras ago. Rev. Rick Durden, Rev. Gil Buettner, myself and damned if I was too intoxicated by the Chalice of Margarita’s to remember that rowdy investigator from the Port Huron District Attorney’s office…

Seriously! Doug Ranz founded a church through the UNiversal Life Church in Modesto California! Walt even registered himself in Louisiana and ACTUALLY married a couple!

All turn to the High Plains of Ada and pray;

“Yeah, though I walk through the Valley of Old Wives Tales I shall fear no leaning, for smoother flight, cleaner operation and greater range shall be mine…”

Amen

Just to clear up some misconceptions in the FADEC article:

• FADEC uses solenoid driven sequential action fuel injectors, not the continuous injectors used in the current IO-550. Any comments made about the accuracy of the current TCM injectors is irrelevant when compared to the FADEC injectors.

• His comment that FADEC operates at ROP at 75% power and LOP at anything less is also incorrect. Newer FADEC installations have a switch on the dash that allows the pilot to select Power (ROP) or Economy (LOP) depending on his needs.

• His comment that FADEC cannot get any more MPG out of the IO-550 is surprising. Sequential fuel injection is more fuel efficient than continuous port injection, especially when the timing is controlled on a per cylinder basis by a computer. Anyone who watched auto MPG increase when the change to sequential injection was made about 20 years ago witnessed this fact.

• His flippant comment about a thick manual and too many sensors leads to unreliability sound like they are coming from a luddite. Today’s auto engines have even more sensors due to their additional emissions requirements, and the environment under a car’s hood is no more friendly than under that of an airplane. Today’s cars are dramatically more reliable than those of past years, as electronic systems have proven much more adept at correcting minor problems that would have otherwise been overlooked by a human operator.

I’m a fellow Cirrus owner that wants to see FADEC come out. Articles like this that pose opinions as facts do little to help advance the technology in our airplanes. I know that many of you still think you can control the mixture better than a computer on each cylinder can. You are more than welcome to try. I’ll stick with the crowd that thinks having a manual mixture control and a booster pump on a 21st century airplane is a joke we should be doing everything possible to make part of history.

My pleaseure, but let’s give credit where it is due, to Walter, the author, and to LOPA, where I mined this info.

In reply to:

When you ask TCM guys about this, they explain how all the sensors fail-safe.

I am sure they are. Just as fail-safe as the sensors and wire connections in our EMax and EngineViews.[:(]

In reply to:

Seriously! Doug Ranz founded a church through the UNiversal Life Church in Modesto California! Walt even registered himself in Louisiana and ACTUALLY married a couple!

As a fellow ULC minister (go Kirby Hensley!), I’ve performed four marriages. Airboy is one of Us, and he’s done something like 100! Perhaps we should found a sect incorporating some airborn ritual…

As a fellow ULC minister (go Kirby Hensley!), I’ve performed four marriages. Airboy is one of Us, and he’s done something like 100! Perhaps we should found a sect incorporating some airborn ritual…

More like 40… but I’ve even done one wedding in flight, on board http://airliners.org/Airliners of America’s Martin 4-O-4.

Gordon and I both “saw the light” of the Universal Life Church (creed: “Do What is Right”) some time ago, as shown below.

So if you know anyone who needs to get married in a hurry, let us know! We’re open to any denomination — tens, twenties, fifties, or (preferably) hundreds.

Cheers,
Rev. Roger

OK, OK, I’ll bite. (Open mouth, insert foot.) Are you guys serious??? It sounds like the ULC think is a joke/dodge, but you are performing marriages? Now I am the last person to intentionally insult anyone [:)], but I really am not out to impugn any religious beliefs. Feel free to be an agnostic, goth, druid, satan worshiper or whatever - go for it!

Is this a California thing? If so, (open mouth, insert other foot) no wonder the Mayor of SF feels as he does. (Anyone have anything for athlete’s mouth?) Perhaps it is just my midwestern naivete, or my Catholic heritiage speaking.

In reply to:

Now I am the last person to intentionally insult anyone

Hi Marty,
The only members of the ULC are ministers. The ULC isn’t exclusive of any other religion — you can be ULC and Catholic, ULC and Jewish, ULC and Lutheran, ULC and Hindu, etc., or ULC and nothing at all.
Most of the weddings I’ve done have either been for the “unchurched” or for couples of mixed religions. I’ve done several Protestant + Jewish weddings that included elements of both traditions. The result is a happy married couple and happy parents. Of 40 or so weddings over the last 15 years, I’ve had only 2 or 3 divorces, so I’m well ahead of the national average.
You can get ordained as a Universal Life Church minister right now for free — just go to http://ulc.org/http://ulc.org/ and click on the “Free Online Ordination” link. I kid you not! “Reverend Marty” has a nice ring to it.

Cheers,
Roger

PS — Just to get us back on topic, here’s a picture of what can happen if you lean excessively.

So Marty…which one of the ULC ministers is off to the Bahamas with us…Vicki and I are still deciding where/when to get married…we could all have one helluva reception on the beach:)

In Florida, a Notary Public can perform a marriage.
If you would like to marry your Cirrus, please fly down, and let me know in advance.
Here is a picture of me taking the Notary Exam

Roger,
Do you get a tax deductible status with the ministry? About 20 years ago a fellow I knew became a minister for Universal Life and held services in his home. He then took a big deduction and got in hot water with the IRS.

In reply to:

If you would like to marry your Cirrus, please fly down, and let me know in advance.

Dennis:

Do you really expect us to believe that they are going to put up that sort of thing in FLORIDA? May I point out that we are a lot more open minded on this sort of “alternative” behavior out here in California!

Tim

In reply to:

Do you really expect us to believe that they are going to put up that sort of thing in FLORIDA

You apparently haven’t been at South Beach lately.

C’mon down

Do you get a tax deductible status with the ministry? About 20 years ago a fellow I knew became a minister for Universal Life and held services in his home. He then took a big deduction and got in hot water with the IRS.

Jerry,

Actually, I never charge for my services, so there’s nothing to deduct! I figure the couple and their parents get soaked enough for the other parts of the wedding (reception, dresses, tuxes, etc.). Plus I get a free meal at the reception, my wife gets to play at being “the preacher’s wife,” and I have an excuse to wear my Ph. D. gown (which resembles a traditional minister’s outfit).

I think every COPA member should join the ULC — then we can truly have the “Church of Cirrus!” (I’ve performed the wedding ceremonies for one COPA member and for the sister-in-law of another, so we’re getting there…)

Cheers,
Roger

In reply to:

Rabbi Feingold here. Like Roger, I have never charged for my services. I enjoy working with the couple to write the ceremony. My experience is that the couple gets to say what they really want to say to each other and to their friends and family rather than what some other authority tells them to say.

ULC was originally founded as a means to beat the Vietnam draft I believe. After the war, they held out that you could declare your home a “church” and pay no property taxes if you filed appropriate papers, incorporated, and held at least four meetings a year. I do not know how successful people were trying that tactic. I had no interest in any of these schemes.

So far I’ve…

o Married my best friend and his 3rd wife in Yosemite Valley.
o Married close friends on a hilltop in Puerto Rico overlooking the ocean
o Married my brother in law and his wife at a lake near Santa Barbara
o Married my friends’ kid on the beach in Santa Barbara

I have yet to do an indoor wedding!