Deicing Fluid

With all the discussion about icing I was

wondering what type of fluids can be used on our

composite airplane to remove ice? For that matter are there any cleaning fluids that should not be used? I knew a pilot that loved using Windex to take bugs off the leading edge, but that was a metal airplane. I would hate to dull that great

finish that the boys in Hibbing polished up.

This was exactly the question I had when I picked up my bird 2 weeks ago (below 0 F, brrrr). They said: “No glycol allowed on wings for de-icing. You may use pure alcohol”. (Which we call spirizus in Europe, or methyl).

With all the discussion about icing I was

wondering what type of fluids can be used on our

composite airplane to remove ice? For that matter are there any cleaning fluids that should not be used? I knew a pilot that loved using Windex to take bugs off the leading edge, but that was a metal airplane. I would hate to dull that great

finish that the boys in Hibbing polished up.

This was exactly the question I had when I picked up my bird 2 weeks ago (below 0 F, brrrr). They said: “No glycol allowed on wings for de-icing. You may use pure alcohol”. (Which we call spirizus in Europe, or methyl).

Does anyone know of a supplier of “pure alcohol” for aircraft? Or, just buy some isopropyl alcohol at the drug store and spray it on with a garden sprayer? How about vodka? Not a good idea to light up a cigarette at the same time?

Pure alcohol means 100% ethanol. commercialized it’s often a mixture with methanol and some ugly smelling and tasting substances - otherwise you could just drink this instead of your whisky and save money (since industrial alcohols are tax-free).

I’m not sure about the composite CD is using and the preparation of the surface, i.e. protection, plus it’s a different casting and hardening process, but at injection molded parts you just can set free the residual strain with alcohols and/or solvents. The higher the concentration the faster it goes, e.g. you can literally see a polyamide part crack if you put in in high concentrated isopropanol. It won’t happen if you mix it 50/50 with water, but that’s no use for deicing…

I just want to say, you should always be aware that you could damage any kind of “plastic” with improper chemicals. So ASK and CHECK FIRST!

Regards, Wilfried

Does anyone know of a supplier of “pure alcohol” for aircraft? Or, just buy some isopropyl alcohol at the drug store and spray it on with a garden sprayer? How about vodka? Not a good idea to light up a cigarette at the same time?