KNOWN OR ANTI-ICE?

I was wondering exactly what if anything was going on at CD with icing. I read posts from time to time, but can’t seem to form an opinion as to fact v. fiction.

In reading over the option sheets for Mooney’s, Commanders, etc – KNOWN ICING sure does look nice. I think adding that capability would put the Cirrus truly in a class all its own.

I agree wholeheartedly that Cirrus needs to make ice protection available. Lack of ice protection is the main reason I’m holding off on buying an SR22.

From 1997 until last summer I had a great rental arrangement on a Cessna P210 that was certified for known ice (boots, hot prop & windshield). The P210 was sold, so this winter I flew planes without ice protection, and I really miss it! Living in Wisconsin, I’ll never put a significant amount of money into a plane without deice/antice.

• Rick

I was wondering exactly what if anything was going on at CD with icing. I read posts from time to time, but can’t seem to form an opinion as to fact v. fiction.

In reading over the option sheets for Mooney’s, Commanders, etc – KNOWN ICING sure does look nice. I think adding that capability would put the Cirrus truly in a class all its own.

Lancair had been toying with an interesting technology that looks promising for light planes. There is no heavy liquid or high drag boots to carry around. I haven’t heard of any progress on this for a couple of years. Maybe with the number of Cirri out there a market could be made for the technlogy - if it is still in development.

I wonder if any forum readers have more up to date information.

http://www.comet.arc.nasa.gov/dx/basket/storiesetc/icepoppx.html

Steve

I agree wholeheartedly that Cirrus needs to make ice protection available. Lack of ice protection is the main reason I’m holding off on buying an SR22.

From 1997 until last summer I had a great rental arrangement on a Cessna P210 that was certified for known ice (boots, hot prop & windshield). The P210 was sold, so this winter I flew planes without ice protection, and I really miss it! Living in Wisconsin, I’ll never put a significant amount of money into a plane without deice/antice.

• Rick

I’ve been told by my Cirrus rep that the deice system is on their list of “high priorities” and will hopefully be available by the end of the year.

Jeff

SR22 #228

Lancair had been toying with an interesting technology that looks promising for light planes. There is no heavy liquid or high drag boots to carry around. I haven’t heard of any progress on this for a couple of years. Maybe with the number of Cirri out there a market could be made for the technlogy - if it is still in development.

I wonder if any forum readers have more up to date information.

http://www.comet.arc.nasa.gov/dx/basket/storiesetc/icepoppx.html

Steve
Steve,
And http://sbir.gsfc.nasa.gov/SBIR/successes/ss/3-035text.htmlhere’s a description of a system that Cirrus itself was looking at, at least at some point.
Here’s a quote from the link:
Cirrus Design has just completed certification of an innovative general aviation airplane, at a cost of $55M to private investors. Investors are providing additional funds to develop and certify a larger-engine version of the aircraft that will incorporate a NLF de-icing system

But given that the SR22 doesn’t have this feature, I would venture that they decided not to pursue it, at least for now…

(another) Steve