contract# vs position #, also SR 22 upgrade

I am confused a little over the difference between these numbers. My contract # is 333. I have heard that this corresponds roughly to a position # of 283. Is this right? Also my contract price is based on the Dec.'88 price list. If I were to upgrade to the SR 22 would I lose my “cushion” (the difference between my contract price for the SR 20 and the current price for the SR 20? It would seem logical from a penny pincher like myself that I could take the difference between my contract price and the price of the SR 20 at the time I would take delivery and apply this difference to the delivery price of the SR 22. If this wouldn’t fly (ouch) with Cirrus and the delivery times for the SR 22 were not to far in the future I could sell my position for the SR 20 on the open market at the then supply/demand dictated price and buy the SR 22 outright. I have not heard how the pricing would be handled for those wanting to change to the SR 22. Any info would be appreciated.

My contract # is 333. I have heard that this corresponds roughly to a position # of 283. Is this right?

Maybe. See the notes on this on the http://www.sr20.org/planes/planes page. Bear in mind that by the time S/N 1283 comes around, 1333 would be built only weeks later (it’s safe to assume by then that the build rate will exceed 1/day). So whatever variation there is between your contract number and position number, it will only make a difference of a few weeks to when you fly your new plane away from the factory.

Also my contract price is based on the Dec.'88 price list.

I guess that should have been '98 :slight_smile: Questions like this you will have to ask Cirrus, but it may well be they don’t know the answers yet either.

I have not heard how the pricing would be handled for those wanting to change to the SR 22. Any info would be appreciated.

I highly doubt you will be able to “have your cake and eat it too” on this issue. What I have been told unofficially is that once the SR22 is available people in the SR20 queue will have the option of shifting to an SR22 at whatever the SR22 price is. Maybe there will be some incentive, but I wouldn’t be surprised if there wasn’t. The wait in the 20 queue will simply buy you a 22 sooner if that’s what you want. My guess is if you sell your SR20 position outright to try to capture the “cushion” you’ll probably have to get in at the end of the 22 queue.

In net this might mean that a person in the 22 queue gets a plane before someone who went in the 20 queue before them, but all 20 holders in before the 22 queue started would have had the option to take the 22 first.

Sound confusing? It does make sense when you realize that Cirrus will have the incentive of selling as many 22s as possible, as it will be higher margin. They will balance this against trying not to piss off long-waiting 20 holders.

This is all my opinion, distilled over conversations with 3 different folks at Cirrus. If they know what they are going to for sure they haven’t said so yet officially.

I just converted to an SR22 myself . . . got the paperwork yesterday, in fact. Contract # is 45.

I was told by #32 that he expects SR22 delivery by March 2002. So I’m figuring May 2002.

My old SR20 # was 513, with a position in the 460s. Delivery date was Jan. 2002.

Bottom line: You won’t gain time with an SR22 upgrade. You’ll probably lose a few months.

I have a question: Who are the other 44 SR22 position holders? Did you all upgrade from SR20? What have you heard regarding delivery dates?

I am confused a little over the difference between these numbers. My contract # is 333. I have heard that this corresponds roughly to a position # of 283. Is this right? Also my contract price is based on the Dec.'88 price list. If I were to upgrade to the SR 22 would I lose my “cushion” (the difference between my contract price for the SR 20 and the current price for the SR 20? It would seem logical from a penny pincher like myself that I could take the difference between my contract price and the price of the SR 20 at the time I would take delivery and apply this difference to the delivery price of the SR 22. If this wouldn’t fly (ouch) with Cirrus and the delivery times for the SR 22 were not to far in the future I could sell my position for the SR 20 on the open market at the then supply/demand dictated price and buy the SR 22 outright. I have not heard how the pricing would be handled for those wanting to change to the SR 22. Any info would be appreciated.

Rich, I have SR22 position #33, and was not given any dates in writing. If I’m not mistaken, your SR22 paperwork is a refundable reservation slot with no contractual date, correct?

I chose to keep my “firm” SR20 contract #225, which was for delivery in Sept 1999. Given that experience I’ll wait and see what happens with the SR22 program and decide from there. All I’ve been told is that sometime later this year they will move to firm contracts on the SR22. I was told that it was a virtual certainty that SR20 #225 would be delivered before any SR22s made it off the line.

I just converted to an SR22 myself . . . got the paperwork yesterday, in fact. Contract # is 45.

I was told by #32 that he expects SR22 delivery by March 2002. So I’m figuring May 2002.

My old SR20 # was 513, with a position in the 460s. Delivery date was Jan. 2002.

Bottom line: You won’t gain time with an SR22 upgrade. You’ll probably lose a few months.

I have a question: Who are the other 44 SR22 position holders? Did you all upgrade from SR20? What have you heard regarding delivery dates?