Contract & Position Numbers

I’m not sure this will reduce or increase confusion, but here goes: I spoke with Alison , who apparantly is a new hire to work with Sherri on the contracts. She said that contract numbers will not and do not change. If a contract holder drops out or a previously scheduled demo airframe is switched to a customer sale aircraft, there will be no change to contract (or position) numbers.

Actual serial numbers are issued in a one up fashion 1019, 1020, 1021,…) by the factory and are not in any way linked to the contract numbers.

For example (& I am sure these numbers are not correct) if contract holder #30 gets serial number 1027, then it stands that contract number 31 woul would get serial number 1028. However, if contract number 31 fell out, then contract number 31 would get serial number 1028, etc.

Any help?

She said that contract numbers will not and do not change.

This is true, however what Cirrus have been doing in the past has been advising contract holders of their current “position”, both by letter and sometimes verbally. For example contract #53 was advised several times of current “position”, the last one was #22, and he ended up with S/N 1019.

I would not be surprised if Cirrus have given up doing this (too much work) plus that fact that now, all deposits are non-refundable (I presume the drop-outs were those who placed the $500 refundable deposit before the plane was certified).

Also, new contract holders are apparently being told what position they are, which is quite a bit less than the contract number (from memory, contact 513 was told he had position 464).

But until you get a serial number allocated, nothing is definite.

Cheers, Clyde

For the record, while the deposits are “non-refundable”, Cirrus is technically in default on all contracts up to at least #225 (mine). I just recently received a letter from them acknowledging this. So, if anyone prior to me has simply given up they can get their deposit back and walk.

As a practical matter I’m not sure if anybody has done this recently since there is demand for early positions and they are easily sold, but prior to first delivery I assume some people bailed once Cirrus failed to meet the delivery date specified in the contract.

I would not be surprised if Cirrus have given up doing this (too much work) plus that fact that now, all deposits are non-refundable (I presume the drop-outs were those who placed the $500 refundable deposit before the plane was certified).

This is true, however what Cirrus have been doing in the past has been advising contract holders of their current “position”, both by letter and sometimes verbally. For example contract #53 was advised several times of current “position”, the last one was #22, and he ended up with S/N 1019.

Also, new contract holders are apparently being told what position they are, which is quite a bit less than the contract number (from memory, contact 513 was told he had position 464).

Cheers, Clyde

Good point. Just makes you wonder where you really stand. I’m contract #119 and I’m probably between 90 and 100 as far as airframes go. Either way, at the current rates of production, I’m probably looking at 2001 for delivery!

Cheers, Clyde

Good point. Just makes you wonder where you really stand. I’m contract #119 and I’m probably between 90 and 100 as far as airframes go. Either way, at the current rates of production, I’m probably looking at 2001 for delivery!

You have to remember that the learning curves that go along with production rates are not linear. If Cirrus is still putting out airplanes at the current rate (~1 airplane a week or so) for airplanes 90 to 100 – I think Cirrus will admit that they have failed. I bet there will be a fairly rapid increase in production rate within the next 3 to 4 months or so!!!

You have to remember that the learning curves that go along with production rates are not linear. If Cirrus is still putting out airplanes at the current rate (~1 airplane a week or so) for airplanes 90 to 100 – I think Cirrus will admit that they have failed. I bet there will be a fairly rapid increase in production rate within the next 3 to 4 months or so!!!

I hope you’re right. But it appears that they are devoting resources to the SR22 as well, which may detract from accelerated production of the SR20. Also, what hapened to the Production Certificate that they had hoped to receive by this time?

If as I read on this board, that number 41 +/- is due delivery sometime in May, then the procudtion rate has to more than double to get to 100 by year end. I don’t know about you, but I’m not looking forward to taking delivery or flying home from Duluth in the winter months! Of course, beggars can’t be choosers!