Considering a Cirrus

I own a Cherokee 235 which I love for its load hauling ability. Sat in a Cirrus at the AOPA convention and WOW! I would love to buy a SR-22 but may be out of price range. How true of a 4 place plane is the SR-20? My wife and I are 300 lbs combined and the kids 120 combined, but we will all grow in size. Also have trips I like to take as couples which puts us more into the 600-650 load range, before bags. Average mission is about 300-350 nm range.

Are there tabs for decreased fuel loads on the SR-20 to give more flexibility? Also, what are the top 3 best and worse things of owning a Cirrus? Trying to perform due diligence before hopping in feet first. Thanks in advance for all comments!

If you’re seriously doing your due diligence regarding making a $300k to $450k investment in a Cirrus then you must join COPA and access the knowledge base (achieved and on-line) of the COPA membership.

It’s the best advice - bar none - you’ll get in answer to your question.

My 2 cents.

If you live at high pressure altitudes, fly off a short strip, and do frequent mountain flying I would suggest the 22 if you can afford it. I have a 20 at sea level for two people and 2 poodles and it is a great airplane. When I cross the mountains I fly I-90 and have little trouble but watch were I land and take off.

In reply to:

I own a Cherokee 235 which I love for its load hauling ability. Sat in a Cirrus at the AOPA convention and WOW! I would love to buy a SR-22 but may be out of price range. How true of a 4 place plane is the SR-20? My wife and I are 300 lbs combined and the kids 120 combined, but we will all grow in size. Also have trips I like to take as couples which puts us more into the 600-650 load range, before bags. Average mission is about 300-350 nm range.
Are there tabs for decreased fuel loads on the SR-20 to give more flexibility? Also, what are the top 3 best and worse things of owning a Cirrus? Trying to perform due diligence before hopping in feet first. Thanks in advance for all comments!

For the loads you reference, a 22 is clearly your best bet. You even reference loving a known load hauler and the 20 is not that. Its a great plane and probably the best value in aviation, but its a little anemic at gross and at high altitudes. To carry those loads in a 20, you will have to run at the tabs or below and live with short leg trips and marginal climb performance. This might be livable on the coast and is potentially a dangerous situation in the mountainous west.

Might want to consider a used 22, maybe pre PFD plane which would be in that price range. New is nice, warranty is nicer, PFD’s are great, but if you can’t meet your mission profile with them time to go to a acceptable plan B. BTW, I have a older 22 (pre PFD) and it still is waaayyy better equipped than anyone I fly with - other than Cirrus pilots that is [;)]. Good luck, hope you can find what your looking for.

Ifly,

Where are you based?

Ifly…

I’ve owned an SR20 based at sea level, now own an SR22 based in Las Vegas. Previous airplane was a C182RG with great payload. I’d be very happy to discuss pros and cons of the Cirrus experience with you, by email, phone or in person. I occasionally fly in to San Diego, but won’t be doing much flying anywhere until my airplane gets out of its first Annual (and has some new toys added). Once I have my airplane back, I’d be happy to take you for a putt if we can figure out the logistics.

If you’d like to chat, send me a COPA Private Mail message, or email me at mike@radomsky.org.

• Mike.

Definitely an SR22.

The SR20 would have a range for you of something like 300-400NM, but you
would be pretty limited in the temperature and altitude of the airports you would
take off from, fully loaded. Above 68F, you wouldn’t be able to takeoff from
an airport at any altitude above say 3000ft. Your climb gradient would
be something like 400-700FPM.

The SR22 would have a range more like 500-600NM and you pretty much
wouldn’t have the altitude & temperature limitations. Your climb gradient would
be more like 900-1300FPM. Much less restrictive in where and when you travel
and a much more comfortable climb gradient at high & hot airports.

Michael

I am a flight instructor with about 350 hours in almost all of the Cirrus line. I have flown the 20, the old 22, the 22 with tks and flight max, the Centeniel, and the G2. Each have their own ups and downs but I think the 20 is a bit under powered. I took one into a 2600 foot grass strip that is at only 700 msl. It was a real challenge to get it back out over an obstical. I will never take a 20 into a short grass strip again. Give me the 22 anyday.

Since you are in San Diego, you may want to look into Ourplane’s fractional '22 that is based there. http://www.ourplane.com. Might not be the cheapest route vs used, etc. but could be an option.

Cirrus is a great airplane. If you are planning on going with a whole family I would not even think about SR-20 W&B issues are insane if you have more than two people on board butÂ… I am 210 Lb. alone :wink: There are few items that (I think) need improvement I have good experience in SR-22 & SR-20. You can call me or e-mail with any specific questions - if you would like.

Also, if you are considering joining the COPA website, like so many of the members has suggested you do in their replies to your initial question, take a look at the most recent posts regarding “Should you join COPA?”, look at some of the names that left you replies here and then the replies some of those same members left when they replied to the question about whether a person should join COPA. Sure it is chock full of info, some good, some opinion, but I fail to see how joining will help you decide to buy a 20 or 22 or some other plane. I have found some members to be personally insulting instead of allowing a person to give their opinion whether it’s aviation-related or human dignity oriented.

Fly a cirrus and you will never want to fly anything else.

SR22 is the best plane I have ever flown in the past 26 years as a private pilot. COPA is a great group to join. I have learned a lot about airplanes, engines, navigation, weather, and a bunch of other aviation related information. I keep learning new things as a COPA member. Whenever there is a problem or a question, I post it on the COPA site and get stimulating perspectives and opinions.
Sincerely,

Salil C. Tiwari
N258ST
#307 with GAMI and all (no PFD and no Wx)

I recently went through the same analysis. I found this website, went to the public section, made a post, received a lot of replies, then proceeded to join. The information you will receive will multiply on the member’s section. You’ll get private email help, offers, etc. This is a great bunch and very willing to help. If you want to chat, give me a call @ 843-795-9370. That is my business phone so make sure you tell my secretary you want to talk Cirrus.

Meanwhile, good luck with your research. It’s part of the fun of buying.

In reply to:

What about the diamond da40-180…oops…did I say that??

I own an SR20. I took my family to Oshkosh this summer with no problems. Since I like to fly with full fuel, my plane was loaded to gross at the beginning of each leg. With full fuel, my payload capacity was about 650 pounds.

Yes, there are tabs in the tanks. The SR20 holds 56 usable. I believe the tabs are 12 Gallons per side but I am not sure since I haven’t ever filled my tanks in this fashion. Depending on how you fly, you can get some extraordinary endurance out of an SR20. Recently, I flew for 4.5 hours and I still had 18 gallons remaining when I landed!

Hope this helps.

I am in Upland, CA and have a SR22. I originally put a deposit on the SR20 before the SR22 was made available. Cirrus offered me a discount on an upgrade to a SR22 so I took it. I don’t plan on an upgrade airplane.

There have been times when the extra 110 hp. is really necessary. To my way of thinking, anyone west of the Rockies needs a SR22, and if you look at the distribution on the COPA site you will see that is pretty well confirmed.

Depending on budget, I would opt for a used SR22 over a new SR20.

So far as payload and range is concerned, it is not uncommon for me to see 7 hours of endurance at around 12 gph. after the initial climb in my SR22. While we don’t fly that duration after the initial climb, that extra fuel is a definite safety factor, particularly when you read the distressing frequency of fuel exhaustion accidents.

You are not likely to be operate the IO550 at 12 gph. until precision fuel injectors are installed. These are made by GAMI and have the effect of balancing the power produced by the engine so that all 6 cylinders are working as a single engine. With good balance, fuel flows around 11.5 or 12.0 gph. at cruise are possible with the result of about a 173 kt. cruise speed.

You have the full power available at around 28.5 gph. during take off and initial climb and around 12.0 gph. at cruise which means you can climb out of high DA or terrain airports and then pull the mixture way back for extended range and cool CHTs during cruise flight

The SR22 usually works out to full fuel and 3 aboard with luggage. With 4 aboard and luggage is is basically tab fuel. This is 56 gal. in the SR22 which still gives you a climb and about 4+ hours endurance. This means about a 3 hour or 3:15 flight which is about as far as the endurance of the weakest bladder anyway.

With your mission of about 600-650 passenger weight for 4 what that means approximately that you are leaving out fuel equal to the weight of luggage. You should then have 4 hours plus with reserves, which makes a 3 hours plus flight after climb which equals about 480 nm.

Whichever aircraft you get you should think seriously about oxygen. If you are buying a new aircraft you can get a built in system. I just got a flyer from Top Gun quoting $5,095 installed for the oxygen system. That is too much for me. You can get a 4 place Mountain High or Nelson system for well below $1,000 which is a small amount in comparison to either aircraft.

If you are not instrument rated, you want to take care of that right away. For both insurance and operational reasons, you will be much better off rated.

Most of the new Cirrus sold are the SR22, I think about 80%. With the exception of the engine and the wing extension and the fuel capacity they are essentially the same aircraft. The only major difference is another 110 hp., better climb performance and greater endurance.

You are definitely right to consider the growth factor. Hopefully that will be mostly in the kids, but it definately will occur. With 4 FAA-175# passengers aboard, you are basically at 700# plus luggage. In the SR22 that works out to tab fuel of 56 gal. for reasonable range with reserves.

With the GAMI injectors installed on a SR22 you are basically at SR20 fuel flows but with 56 gal. onboard instead of 26 in the SR20. Plus, with the SR20 you are going to be at the margin of the performance envelope instead of being usually well inside it on the SR22.

Everything said about the SR 22 is clearly true. I have an SR20 which I am delighted with. I have flown in the mountain west and I just look for the passes without much wind forcast. I fly 3 hour legs with wife and baggage and usually full fuel. I don’t have all the accessories available on the plane and if you want many of them you will really lose payload in a 20 and you need a 22.

Nevin

I echo Bill’s advice.
To any story, I find there are always three sides—the pro-side, the con-side and the inside! Joining will give you insight into true ownership at much greater depth than just asking for comments.
You will gain real “inside track” on great discussion on real issues! One word of caution—there is a huge number of Cirrus planes flying now–a natural tendency for those that have problems from time to time, is to come to this site, seek feedback from other owners on fixes, input and suggestions, and to see if others are having the same problems. In other words, you could get a distorted overall view of Cirrus because a disproportiate number of people come here to discuss problems—you can understand that people don’t come here just to write glowing PIREPS–despite the fact that the clear cut majority of owners are having an awesome GREAT time with these new planes!
I have joined this one, Lancair and Diamond to get a better feel for all these new planes. This forum and the members are by far—lightyears ahead of all of them! Have fun and safe flying! Tom

I live in San Diego. Rarely get above 8,000 but would like to fly into Norther AZ and Southern UT which had DA issues.

I also live in San Diego, flying into Santa Fe and north of there. A SR22 or a plane with an turbo charged engine is highly recommended if you fly in the mountains.