First post here and also from the UK. I have read this forum with great interest and there is a lot of useful information here for which I am grateful to all posters’.
The reason for me joining here is that I am a student PPL (mature.44 yrs)and am looking to be licenced by May this year. I am learning in a C172 but a 25 yr old model.( We do not have many Cirrus here and certainly not at flight schools). I want to buy a new aircraft when qualified and have been considering a C182 / Diamond Star or Cirrus SR22G2. I am researching the possibility of what to buy now as I want to be ‘ready’ to order when I am qualified and any of those are within the budget. I would like to ask people for views as to :- am I being too optimistic in qualifying and then buying my own plane ? I would also like some valued opinions from Cirrus owners on the following thoughts I have had :
- I need it to carry 4 adults+ luggage 300+ nm around the UK and within 2 years time to Spain and France (500-800nm)
- I want space, luxury and time to enjoy the flights so flight management / workload reduction would be welcomed;
- Am I being too optimistic to handle the power( possibly an SR22 G"2 GTS New One)so soon after gaining my licence ( I am a cautious person and am not looking to take ANY risks and go ‘loop di loop’ the hour after getting my licence). I have also never flown a ‘side stick control’.
- Having never flown a ‘low wing’ (only a 172), what are the pro’s and con’s of either low or high or is it personal preference?
5)In considering Diamond , I guess the useful weight may rule it out albeit a diesel engine is nice ( don’t forget our ‘Gas’ here in the UK costs nearly 10 bucks a gallon now) !
- The C182 is on delivery of 12 months and whilst proven for many years, is still not the comfort ‘animal’ I crave’
All that said, it brings me to the SR22 G2 GTS. Every gizzmo I could want and need, luxury, competence, extra power for the eventual ‘longer’ trips to Spain. What I think I am right in saying is I should probably NOT buy an SR20 due to useful load and buy a plane I will want to keep rather than buy an older 182 / sr20 and eventually trading up. If money were not the predetermining factor am I right to be thinking the SR22 G2 GTS is the ‘one for me’ ?
I have to start somewhere and I want to make sure I am in the ‘right place’.
Very best regards