Colors -- White Only?

Hi All,

I noticed in the POH that the SR20 must be painted white due, it says, to the composite construction (and associated skin heat limits).

I also notice that the Lancair does not seem to suffer from this same restriction (the top of the first Columbia 300 is white, but the lower half is not).

Does anyone know if two-tone paint schemes will ever be allowed for the SR20?

Thanks.

Joe

I also noticed that all SR20’s I’ve seen have the same paint-sceme. Except for N137CD who does not have the yellow stripe. Is this a factory default, or do customers have a choice for a custom-paint sceme?

Peter, Groningen, the Netherlands.

Look at all the composite gliders – I don’t think I have ever seen one that wasn’t white. I don’t think you will ever see a Lancair with the color on top, by putting the color on the bottom it is not exposed to as much direct sun light and therefore less heating than if it was on the top half. Also composites have many tradeoffs in the basic material and resin selection. Some are easier to manufacture, some are stronger in various ways, some are more heat resistent, and some do not require special handling (some composite resins must be refrigerated to prolong their useful shelf life). I think Cirrus has made some good decisions on the type of composite material they are using and I think it will be very wise not to complain about an all white airplane.

Hi All,

I noticed in the POH that the SR20 must be painted white due, it says, to the composite construction (and associated skin heat limits).

I also notice that the Lancair does not seem to suffer from this same restriction (the top of the first Columbia 300 is white, but the lower half is not).

Thanks.

Joe

Hi All,

Thanks.

Being in the plastics industry and invloved in molding - it is true that plastics are affected by the suns ultra-violet rays. That is ALL colors of plastic resin, the darker the color the more affected it is - therefore, “White” is the least to be affected by the suns UV rays.

Hence, the Lancair having the dark color on the underside…There is an additive that can be mixed with the resins to help prevent the UV rays from attacking the plastic, called UV inhibitors, and I am assuming the the people at CD are aware of this fact, and are already using it now.

Therefore, the exterior does NOT have be truly be white in color, but maybe a lighter share of gray, or some other light color. Plus, if the plane is parked in a hangar, that too will add life to the plastic… However, if it’s tied down outside, and it’s in the southern areas of the USA - white would be BEST (at least on the top side).

Best regards,

Gerry,

Joe

A great man (Henry Ford) once said that you could have the car (a model T ford) in any color you want, as long as you want white. I’m sure cirrus agrees.

I for one, would just like mine sooner & witn more usefull load!

Marty

With some time on my hands (obviously) I’ve drawn up some suggested two-tone paint schemes and added them to the existing Cirrus chart. (Maybe by the time my number comes up two-tone schemes will be permitted – gotta be ready!)

I think they came out pretty well.

I haven’t figured out how to post pictures here yet, but if anyone is interested I’d be happy to email them to you.

Joe

I also noticed that all SR20’s I’ve seen have the same paint-sceme. Except for N137CD who does not have the yellow stripe. Is this a factory default, or do customers have a choice for a custom-paint sceme?

CD certified the SR20 to a Hot/Wet Tg of 150F and PAC Certified the LC 40 to Hot/Wet Tg of 180F.

Until recently, the only choice you got was the color of the stripes, and the color or absence of the “scimitar”. There are several new schemes in the works, the prototype for one of which is seen on N119CD - picture on the Planes page.

CD certified the SR20 to a Hot/Wet Tg of 150F and PAC Certified the LC 40 to Hot/Wet Tg of 180F.

Could someone translate this to english?

Whoa! And I thought METAR/TAF was impenetrable jargon! :slight_smile:

Could someone translate this to english?

the following is paraphrased from an expert…not from me. I still like the cirrus better…

It’s not

exactly a TG issue as TG (glass transition temp) is over 220F. What Lancair did was certify to a standard which allows for use of many darker color options. The SR20 composite structure is allowed up to 150 F for operations (not to be confused with material TG) and means that all SR-20 temp tests (and there are a lot of them) were made to this limit. Therefore white is required with very minor trim color.

The Columbia 300 made all temp tests at 175 F. which allows virtual freedom in paint schemes with high absorbtivity(dark colors with over 60% absorbtivity) over most of the airframe. Much of the Columbia airframe can indeed be painted with various colors.

Look at all the composite gliders – I don’t think I have ever seen one that wasn’t white. I don’t think you will ever see a Lancair with the color on top, by putting the color on the bottom it is not exposed to as much direct sun light and therefore less heating than if it was on the top half. Also composites have many tradeoffs in the basic material and resin selection. Some are easier to manufacture, some are stronger in various ways, some are more heat resistent, and some do not require special handling (some composite resins must be refrigerated to prolong their useful shelf life). I think Cirrus has made some good decisions on the type of composite material they are using and I think it will be very wise not to complain about an all white airplane.

Hi All,

Thanks.

Joe

Hi All,

Thanks.

Being in the plastics industry and invloved in molding - it is true that plastics are affected by the suns ultra-violet rays. That is ALL colors of plastic resin, the darker the color the more affected it is - therefore, “White” is the least to be affected by the suns UV rays.

Hence, the Lancair having the dark color on the underside…There is an additive that can be mixed with the resins to help prevent the UV rays from attacking the plastic, called UV inhibitors, and I am assuming the the people at CD are aware of this fact, and are already using it now.

Therefore, the exterior does NOT have be truly be white in color, but maybe a lighter share of gray, or some other light color. Plus, if the plane is parked in a hangar, that too will add life to the plastic… However, if it’s tied down outside, and it’s in the southern areas of the USA - white would be BEST (at least on the top side).

Best regards,

Gerry,

Joe

I don’t think that temperature has anything to do with the the UV issue. There are UV blockers in paint like Gerry says but the real issue is temp. The Tg - Glass transition temperature, is the point where thermoset resin start to basically turn plastic again, which decreases their modulus (strength). This greatly reduces comperssion strength but not tension because conpression is dominated by the matrix (epoxy) and tension is dominated by the fiber. If you loaded the SR20 above 150f it would plastically deform and not return to the original shape (BAD!). Lancair went a little higher to 180f. That’s the hot part. The wet part is that all epoxies absorb water from the surroundings (1~2% by wt). This causes the matrix to become more plastic still. The FAA requires designers to use reduced allowables when designing the airplane and this is one reasons why our composite planes weigh so dang much.

With some time on my hands (obviously) I’ve drawn up some suggested two-tone paint schemes and added them to the existing Cirrus chart.

I’ve put Joe’s paint schemes on the new Stuff page for those who want to see what position holders do while waiting for their planes.

To my own taste, the mainly-white look is part of the SR20’s charm, but it is very nice to have this link to see what various colors would look like. Thanks from wannabe land to Joe and Clyde. jf