PAINT AND VISIBILITY

There is a great photo of a SR20 under full BRS canopy on the Cirrus website. I see the photo every day because it is my screensaver. The photo shows the plane descending towards the desert and the chute fully deployed. Of note is the high visibility International Orange paint on the wingtips and tips of the 3 tail surfaces. I realize that this was for certification testing/photography/documentation purposes and that light colors are best on composite structures.

Here in the Los Angeles Basin a white or light colored plane might as well be camoflaged since it blends in with the summer muck and haze we call air. My question is this: If the tail surface tips, wing tips and wheel pants are non-structural, can I get them painted this color to increase my visibility? Your thoughts please.

Here in the Los Angeles Basin a white or light colored plane might as well be camoflaged since it blends in with the summer muck and haze we call air. My question is this: If the tail surface tips, wing tips and wheel pants are non-structural, can I get them painted this color to increase my visibility? Your thoughts please.

The overall white paint scheme is a certification (and thus airworthiness) item. It would be interesting to get a FSDO opinion as to whether painting parts of it would be legal, and if so whether it would require a 337 or an STC. My suspicion is that they would require engineering analysis, but I don’t have any idea what I’m talking about. This is a question to put to Cirrus.

Good Questions. Clearly that is a qusetion for the factory, butI am confidnet that all of the control srufaces can be painted other colors as they are aluminum.

Also, small amounts of trim colors should be OK, as the airplane already has dark trim. I would stick to the more vertical surfaces and away from the tops of wings and dorsal area of the plane.

Finally, lights and strobes are always good for visability (unless you use them for camouflage, but that’s another story entirely).

good luck and let us know what you find out.

Marty