CUSTOM PAINT

Does anyone know of any SR22 owners who have popped for a killer custom paint job?

I am puzzled as to why so many owners spend nearly a half-million dollars on such a beautiful plane and settle for the vinyl graphics.

I ordered my plane “white” with no graphics. I am in the process of a fully custom air-brushed graphics design and would like to hear from others who have done something “outside the box”.

I understand all the caveats about darker colors and placement of graphics … but there is still alot of leeway for great designs.

Anyone venture there before me?

Tom–great idea—lets see your design.

Yes, there are several with really cool custom jobs, and I am thinking about getting one myself. Most have used vinyl rather than paint, because it is easier to change if you get tired of it.

In reply to:

Does anyone know of any SR22 owners who have popped for a killer custom paint job?
I am puzzled as to why so many owners spend nearly a half-million dollars on such a beautiful plane and settle for the vinyl graphics.
I ordered my plane “white” with no graphics. I am in the process of a fully custom air-brushed graphics design and would like to hear from others who have done something “outside the box”.
I understand all the caveats about darker colors and placement of graphics … but there is still alot of leeway for great designs.
Anyone venture there before me?

Welcome aboard – because of the certification issues a certain percentage of the aircraft must remain white. With that said – Gene at Air Graphics in Madison Wisconson can help. I have asked Gene to design two differnt Cirrus Schemes which I have been very pleased with.

Try a search on the memebers side like " custom graphics " or " Air Graphics " and you’ll get some ideas.

Best Scott

In reply to:

Does anyone know of any SR22 owners who have popped for a killer custom paint job??

Yes, I have … but I’m a SR20 owner, does that count?

& as others have said, I stuck with vinyl … you can change it more easily.

I’ll try to attach the photos to this post, but I’m not sure how to do it.
3-184371-CirrusNewStripes3.jpg

Another
1-191574-3-184376-CirrusNewStripes1.jpg

If you join COPA there is several threads on this . It will be the best 50 bucks you ever spend on your flying. Although some have done custom Grafics. I have not heard of anyone painting. But it sounds like a great idea. Just make sure you comply to what you can do by FAA standerds. You will also get more response, some never read this part of the forum. I hardley ever do myself. Hope this helps you out. Don

Another picture
1-191575-3-184372-CirrusNewStripes4.jpg

Does anyone have experience with a Cirrus painted with US Paint Alumingrip paint? I am looking at a 2005 SR22 that has been painted with that paint. According to Cirrus"

"The Fact that you “FOUND” the Aircraft Painted with ALUMIGRIP will now put YOU at risk if you are Returning the AIRCRAFT to Service.

BE CAREFUL!" Obviously, I am concerned, and would appreciate any comments. Thanks

No experience here, but I find it hard to believe that you would be at risk. The mechanic / shop that did the work would be on the hook for compliance. There is no reference to a “required” brand of polyurethane paint in the TCDS, and the TCDS reference to the AMM is irrelevant since there is nothing in the Airworthiness Limitations section of the AMM about required paint products. The exterior finishing section of the AMM DOES reference PPG and Sherwin Williams paints as approved finishes, but goes on to describe that ANY brand of polyurethane paint is acceptable as long as it meets several specific UV transmission and absorptivity limits. Of course, there’s also the limits on how much of the exterior surface of specific components can be painted any color other than white.

Perhaps the “according to Cirrus” bit was in reference to proper preparation of the surface prior to painting to make sure the finish adheres correctly?

O.K. mechanical tech experts, enlighten us!

Brian,

Your plane looks absolutely sensational. Yesterday I was admiring how good my 2001 G1 SR 20 looked…it doesn’t look quite so good now. Congratulations!

Andy