Cirrus SR22 G7

Anyone know when Cirrus will introduce the G7 line of SR planes? I don’t want to buy a G6 Cirrus now only to discover that the G7 is coming out the following year.

Hi Dan,

I have no inside info on this, but I wouldn’t think that Cirrus would introduce a G7 this or next year, just because of the COVID effects, supply chain slowdowns, temporary layoffs, work from home, etc. Also, when Cirrus introduces the G7, they’re going to want to do it when they can maximize marketing for it. Things are getting back on track for them and sales are surprisingly strong, with all that has been going on, I’d be very surprised if 2021 was the year. My guess would be 2022.

Just my humble opinion

3 Likes

IMO The only significant improvement rectifying a new SR generation would be a fadec engine which opens the avenue for auto throttle and safe return. To my knowledge there is no fadec engine on the horizon with the exception of a Lycoming engine which runs on avgas and not jet-a.
With the new CEO coming from Tesla Cirrus will probably explore their options for urban mobility And electric propulsion for the training market.

3 Likes

If the Diamond DA50 somehow starts to cannibalize SR sales (although definitely not apples to apple), or even the DA62 despite its higher price tag, then Cirrus might be pressured into developing a G7 sooner than later. But the pressure is not there at the moment. Also, I suspect Cirrus has more R&D prioritized for the VisionJet for the time being given it’s still only a G2 version at the moment.

Personally, I would love to see an SR with FADEC, Jet A and an incremental 200nm range. That would be a plane I would strongly consider upgrading my SR22T to if that were part of a G7 game plan.

1 Like

For what it’s worth, our local sales rep said there are no planned changes for 2021. He seemed very certain and genuinely candid on this topic. But… who knows! G2/SafeReturn came crazily quick for the Vision Jet.

1 Like

Has Cirrus ever looked at pressurization, akin to the evolution of the C-210T.

Search. No. That would be the P-210, and the Evolution are quite different planes :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks I misspelled C-P210. Also I meant evolution as a verb. The 210 didn’t start with pressurization, but was added as an option later in its production. I was wondering if Cirrus had ever contemplated pressurizing a version of the SR-22T. Probably doesn’t make sense because of weight and complexity but it would be an interesting plane.

1 Like

They have, it’s called the SF-50 Vision Jet. Just kiddin’
A wx radar on the FIKI SR22/22Ts would be nice. And pressurization as well. And it would cannibalize SF-50 sales.

For a G7 I would like a FADEC Diesel, no springs, RG and pressurization option (like 5PSI) plus touch avionics. It should still cost 1/2 a SF50 to buy and 1/3 to fly so no it would not cannibalize the jet, but it would kill everything else not already dead from the competition…

7 Likes

That sounds like a great airplane, but there is no way to incorporate RG and pressurization into the SR2X without a significant redesign (basically a clean sheet design) and a full certification campaign, Perspective Touch and a Diesel variant on the other hand are both very viable features for a G7.

3 Likes

They are backordered until September if you order now.

I’d love to see built-in video camera capabilities in some future model. Seems like so many people fly with ViRB’s and GoPro’s rigging up all kinds of camera contraptions. Would be great to just have a camera (or cameras) factory tail or wing mounted with a remote controller and SD card in the cockpit. I’m guessing this has been discussed at some point or another internally and wasn’t ever implemented for one reason or another. I’d really love not to mess with the mounts, power cords, aux adapters and all that stuff and would certainly pay a premium for that capability.

6 Likes

I would guess pressurization has the best shot of all at becoming reality. Mainly because it would help sell more airplanes.

Many on here claimed way back when that the 200lb GW increase would never happen either but it did…

Why in the world would Cirrus introduce a new model now or in the near future? G6 wildly successful, pre-Covid six months backlog for several years. What’s missing?
Gil

2 Likes

I agree with you, Gil. With current backlogs seems like they’d stay the course for the foreseeable future. That said, they’ve often surprised us many times in the past!

It’s got to be a challenge to come up with new/different things at this point, seems like they’ve really perfected so much already. Wild guesses would be more along the lines of avionics and electronics. Touchscreen displays, HUD units, internet (though I don’t see that happening until something like Starlink comes online assuming it is even feasible to size a receiver for this size plane), auto-throttle, safe return. On that last one, I do believe at some point we will see auto land capabilities in the form of a safe return system, regardless of the practical usage dialog, no doubt it would sell more planes.

Of this list above, the currently viable upgrades I see happening would be touchscreens and HUD, everything else isn’t quite in the moonshot category, but I also don’t see as viable anytime in the near future.

1 Like

Why in the world would Apple introduce a new iPhone (iPad, iMac, iOS, etc) every year? We need to constantly innovate else the competition will catch up and eat you alive (after stealing half of your IP).

That’s how Cirrus got there at the first place, they brought something new when others (Piper, Cessna, Mooney, etc) had been stuck in the 1950s for 50 years.

Cirrus has done a great job with the SR (or the SF50) but the SR design is now 20 year old… For example Cirrus has been very lucky that Diamond has not offered BRS and has been very lucky Garmin has improved the avionics over the past two decades, else your G6 SR would pretty much be the same as your G1 SR. Pipistrel is now around the corner. The SR series needs a redesign. And a new model is needed between the SR and the SF, IMHO.

7 Likes

True for iPhones. SEP airplanes, not so much. Cirrus pretty much killed the competition.

To be fair, Apple killed Nokia and Blackberry too. There is still a battle between Apple and Samsung outside the US but Apple seems to be winning because of their infrastructure.

I agree with Jeff mostly. But, I also think we need to remember that Apple is consistently innovating and improving their products not just in big ways, but in small steps. In my opinion, the SR could really use a number of small improvements to make it better:

• Improve the lighting. Dashboard lights are old fashioned and uneven
  • Add electronic ignition
  • Improve the keys - they’re outdated.
  • Add more carbon fibre elements to strengthen the cabin while reducing weight.
  • Make engine accessible without the need to remove a score of screws
  • There is still some way to go in improving fit and finish and materials quality. The Cirrus doesn’t feel like a Camry cabin, and certainly not like a Range Rover. For instance, my rugs are slipping under my feet. I am not alone in this experience.
  • I love the idea of camera mount points. Perhaps keyhole cameras throughout the plane.
  • How about a thin shelf under the dash on the copilot’s side to store an iPad or two?
  • Wireless charging stations for our phones
  • Integrated mounts for our iPads
  • Lower vibration levels in the cabin (coming from a guy who’s on his third dynamic balancing)
  • Definitely lower vibration in the SR20 Lycomings - that should be top priority

Of course, I still want FADEC, Diesel engines, pressurization. But, I also want the items on the list above.

I get to fly more when my family loves coming along. Cirrus got that right. They need to continue keeping this up and making the planes better and better.

Our planes are far from perfect, and Cirrus needs to hear this. I hope they’re tracking this thread.

23 Likes