Cirrus SR20 verus Socata TB20 ?

That’s impressive! That is 10 knots faster than the SR20 I used to fly once in awhile. Of course, with retractable gear, it should be faster. Might be the right fit for you except I would still rather have the parachute. Too many saves to ignore.

Dont forget TB20 has 50 more horse power than an SR20!!!

Fuel consumption is where the TB20 loses to SR20.

TB20’s cruise speed power set to 75% and leaned for best power gives 157kts @ 4500ft and burns just over 16 USG.

SR20 cruise speed power set to 75% and leaned for best power gives 150kts @ 4000ft and burns about 11.6 USG

TB20 @ 55% at 4500ft burns about 11 USG (page 5-25 revision 6, 1988)

SR20 @ 55% at 4000ft burns about 8.5 USG. (Page 5-30 Revision A5, P/N 11934-003)

You can buy an early SR22 half run-out for 150k. It is better than the SR20 in nearly every way. Costs the same to maintain and burns about the same fuel per nm. 60% more horsepower, 30 kts faster, longer range, and better payload. SR22’s are generally more reliable as well. Fly one.

I agree! I would also rather fly an older 22 than a newer 20 or TB20. Of course the 20 is fast enough in cruise. But it’s the climb and the payload that really makes the difference. Fuel, maintenance, parts … no difference. Most important difference pro SRx: CAPS!

At this point once I pass my checkride this month, I will get checked out in the SR20 build time and then see about costs for insurance if possible in an SR22. Plus that will help me determine if I prefer the Cirrus over the Socata.

That would be the fastet TB20 ever. More like 145.

Ben,

A good investment for you would be to join COPA. For $65 you gain access to a wealth of information about Cirrus and a host of wisdom on flying in general. I can assure you that the ROI on a COPA membership with be some the best money you have ever spent.

Maybe Socata inflates their numbers like some other manufacturers [;)]

5381.TB20.jpg

You mean like the TBM 700 that is supposed to do 300 knots and mine was 272-275 knots in the summer and 280-285 knots in the winter?

Or do you mean the TBM 850 that is supposed to do 320 knots that does 302-308 knots?

It’s been interesting flying my Citation. Does 15 knots better than book almost all year around. Top speed was supposed to be 340 knots and I’ve seen as high as 363 knots.

Lucky you, wish I was a rich guy too who would not want to fly a private jet like the Citation? Anyways I can always dream of hitting big at least for me a fun single piston aircraft is a dream come true. Once I finish my PPL then I will try out the SR20 and build time in it if I like it and then if that is the right path move to the SR22. No rush though as even the slow Piper Cherokee I am training on is more fun the the Cessna 172.

Don’t get in a hurry to buy an airplane. Keep renting until you really figure it out. It’s expensive moving from airplane to airplane. I would tell you to rent until you can afford the SR22 rather than buying a SR20. Especially in todays market where you an get a used SR22 for not a whole lot more cash. My dream was to own a 182 or 206. So you never know! [:D]

Charles,

Nice one, although the above data generally relates to a specific condition and more of a marketing stunt rather than a recommended speed to fly the aircraft. OK it is true that for instance the TB20 can indeed fly @ 160kts with power set to 75% leaned for best power but only at 6500 ft. If you change altitude you won’t get that performance.

The other problem with TB20 is the Maximum Structural Cruising speed (Vno) which is set @ 151 kcas. And a lower speed for the Va (130 Kcas).

So I think it will be risky to fly it over 150.

By the way, it may be possible that we are both looking at two different TB20 (my manual if for a TB20 1988)!!!

Agree with you Joe, no rush and I’d rather bank a half million AMUs and pay cash than take a loan out. Both TB21 and SR22 are fun planes at same price point for used model of same year. Only real concern with Cirrus is that if the airframe is damaged, it is a very costly and time repair to redo the entire frame instead of a single piece, is that correct? Like say I get part of the wing dinged, would I need to redo the whole frame on a Cirrus since it is one piece monocoque carbon fiber?

Ben, of course not! First: all the older SRs are mainly built of glass fiber than of carbon fiber (from the 2007 G3 model upwards they have a carbon spar but the rest is pretty similar). Glass fiber can of course be repaired, it has been done for decades ( see sailplanes, boats). No need to worry here. It’s just different work, but not necessarily more complicated

Not at all. Cirrus planes are very repairable, and unlike metal planes, you can’t tell there was a repair afterwards! I have fixed 5 foot gashes in the fuselage.

Here is an example of some major repair work in process. It’s really not that complicated.

Wow, now that’s a pretty big hole… why?

Cool how did such a massive hole happen to this Cirrus? Good to know.

The Va of 130 is higher than the SR20. even the Va of the SR22 is only 133 if at gross weight, lower as you get lighter. The Vno of the SR20 is higher, but it doesn’t go that fast unless you are in a dive. You need to remember the difference between KIAS, KCAS and KTAS. When the TB20 is doing 165 KTAS, it is going to be below the Vno of 150 KCAS. Plus even at Vno you can hit a bone crushing gust of wind and you will still be safe, as long as your seat belt was really tight. That is the safety limit put in by certification. So no worry about cruising around at 150 KCAS if your TB20 can do it.

I recall, cruises about 165 KTAS.

Not true Sir: I have 1000 hours in a 85 and 91 tb20 they are about 155 to 160 Tru Still like them but you will get more sr20 for the money than a TB20 Don