Cirrus Owner's and Pilots Assn. ??

This has been brought up before, but it may be an idea who’s time has come.

Is there any interest in such an organization?

If so, I’d propose starting it informally at first without dues. Members would just sign up. If we need funds, voluntary , token dues could be requested.

I think we would want a Factory Liason to discuss technical issues - A technically minded person would be great here. Having seperate individuals represent the SR20 & SR22 would be a possibility as well.

Since there seems to be a bit of interest in regional fly-ins, having regional subcommittees would be great. Each region would be established equally informally and the boundaries could change as the members see fit. Obviously there seems to be an interest in a west coast region (or would that be a CA region?), and a Mid-Atlantic region.

A web site would be in order, and it would be up to Clyde if he wanted to operate this one on the organization’s behalf.

I will be happy to work with anyone to begin to set it up. If you are looking for a better typer :slight_smile: or somebody with experience in flying clubs, I will be happy to work with them or step aside.

Marty,

I agree - C.O.P.A. is a good idea. I’d be willing to work with you to set this up, and to be involved on a continuing basis. We’ll discuss by email, wait to see who else volunteers, and recruit victims - er, participants - to help if needed.

• Mike.

If so, I’d propose starting it informally at first without dues. Members would just sign up. If we need funds, voluntary , token dues could be requested.

I think we would want a Factory Liason to discuss technical issues - A technically minded person would be great here. Having seperate individuals represent the SR20 & SR22 would be a possibility as well.

Since there seems to be a bit of interest in regional fly-ins, having regional subcommittees would be great. Each region would be established equally informally and the boundaries could change as the members see fit. Obviously there seems to be an interest in a west coast region (or would that be a CA region?), and a Mid-Atlantic region.

A web site would be in order, and it would be up to Clyde if he wanted to operate this one on the organization’s behalf.

I will be happy to work with anyone to begin to set it up. If you are looking for a better typer :slight_smile: or somebody with experience in flying clubs, I will be happy to work with them or step aside.

Good Morning Marty,

It is my honor to congratulate our very first President of the Cirrus X club (X as an x not ten).

Marty for President.

You have my vote and I am looking for a second, anyone?

Thanks in advance.

Have a great Cirrus X club day today and everyday J

Marty,

I think it sounds like a good idea. It would be particularly useful if there was a semi-official “group” that could be used to press for things like insurance rates and/or new products for Cirri. (i.e. if someone can say they represent X number of people in a membership based organization, maybe we could press LoPresti to come out with a Cirrus STC for their Boom Beam, just to use one specific example).

I’ll gladly volunteer to help, in whatever capacity I might be able to assist.

Steve

Marty -

Strongly endorse the idea of formalizing the COPA.

While this forum is great and meets some of the needs of an Owners Association, it doesn’t meet them all. In particular, it doesn’t provide a mechanism for getting formal owner feedback to Cirrus re priorities, maintenance issues etc. Once we get COPA up and running, maybe we can get Clyde to broaden this site and have it come the OFFICIAL COPA site.

Re dues, I’d suggest we have nominal dues just so that the organization has at least minimal funds to work with - though, I suspect, many of us would volunteer to cover the expenses during startup.

Would be willing to volunteer in whatever capacity would be useful. As I’m retired, my only real conflicts are the golf course.

Bob Price

SR22/#43 (June 20, 2001) FINALLY.

A good model is the http://www.bonanza.org/American Bonanza Society, of which I am a member but not for too much longer. ; > They put out a magazine every month that has many articles and, especially, tips and tricks for operating and maintaining the aircraft. In their case, many of the articles and features are focused on overcoming the limitations (e.g. part shortages and unavailability) of owning and operating aircraft that are old and getting older.

They have a sponsored roving flight training clinic (very good but very expensive), member discounts for part and accessory purchases, fly-ins, etc. etc. But they have 10,000 members, so we’ll be catching up for quite a while.

Gordon

Marty:

A wonderful idea. Count me in.

Given all that must be done in order to have a full-service owners association, it might make sense to create the Association in phases. A good model for a first phase might be Socata.org.

Socata.org is essentially an on-line forum similar to this one. The leader of the forum, Andrew Knott, has taken on the unofficial role of group representative to Socata. Socata.org is recogized by the manufacturer as more than a forum, however. Because Andrew is seen as representing, even unoffcially, several hundred aircraft owners, he is able to obtain responses and attention to problems likley not available to an individual owner.

Barring objection, I say we declare the Cirrus Owners and Pilots Association to be established and Marty is President. I also nominate Clyde as Minister of Communications.

Lee SR22 #219 N228LK

I like the idea and am willing to get involved. COPA is nice, but wouldn’t CAPS be kind of sweet? All of the wizards on this board can improve upon it, but how about Cirrus Airplane and Pilot Society?

Konrad

Yes, Gary and I would be very interested. We are position holders #235 for an SR20, expected delivery September. Based in Tampa, at Vandenberg (VDF, formerly X16).

COPA is a great idea! As a first time aircraft owner, I need all the help I can get, and am willing to help in any way I can. MIKE #396

I’m another first time aircraft owner. I heartily support COPA and am happy to help out in its organization.

George Savage

SR22 #95

very much in favor, and would be willing to get involved. but you have to let in future psition holders (position 700+)…

Marty,

I agree - C.O.P.A. is a good idea. I’d be willing to work with you to set this up, and to be involved on a continuing basis. We’ll discuss by email, wait to see who else volunteers, and recruit victims - er, participants - to help if needed.

• Mike.

I also agree this is a much needed and wanted situation. And us position holders (SR20 #368) want in too!!!

This is my first brand new bird and I want all the help I can get. I once owned a 172 on a leaseback and my role was quite passive. Not in this case.

We definitely need a unified voice in dealing with some issues with Cirrus. Just by reading the many subjects discussed here one can see that a more unified communication line would be more efficient to the masses.

I’m in,

Bruce #368

Marty,

• Mike.

A great idea!

I’ll be picking up SR22 N1970 on July 20th. It will be the 6th plane I’ve owned (although the first I’ve owned “solo”). I would be delighted to participate in any owner’s association. I’m based in the Midwest at DPA (Chicago DuPage).

Can we model the organization on one of the other successful Owners Association. Does anyone have experience with one of them, or contacts.

Perhaps they will provide some quidance to the lowely Cirrus group. We might even get someone with experience in one of these groups to join us. Anyone want ot offer ther position as an inducement? just kidding.

Bob

Floated the idea a while back, but the population seems to have reached critical mass by now. Count me in and think about the WW side with SR20 drivers flying N regs SR20’s in Europe in exchange for airtime for Europeans SR20 owners in the US!

Han N144CD from EHLE (Netherlands)

Can we model the organization on one of the other successful Owners Association. Does anyone have experience with one of them, or contacts.

Perhaps they will provide some quidance to the lowely Cirrus group. We might even get someone with experience in one of these groups to join us. Anyone want ot offer ther position as an inducement? just kidding.

Bob

You can count on me. I don’t have mine yet, but I am game. Great idea.

Have a great Cirrus day

Woor

Floated the idea a while back, but the population seems to have reached critical mass by now. Count me in and think about the WW side with SR20 drivers flying N regs SR20’s in Europe in exchange for airtime for Europeans SR20 owners in the US!

Han N144CD from EHLE (Netherlands)

Bob

Good Morning Marty,

It is my honor to congratulate our very first President of the Cirrus X club (X as an x not ten).

Marty for President.

Thanks in advance.

Seconded. All hail President Marty!

• Mike.

Good Morning Marty,

Marty for President.

Thanks in advance.

Seconded. All hail President Marty!

• Mike.

YAEH!!!