Cirrus Design stops deliveries to Europe

Breaking news

Yesterday Cirrus Design spokesman Jean L. Kirk in association with the European distributor S-Enterprises (Elbonia, The Netherlands) announced Cirrus Design will stop deliveries to Europe.

Since Mode S transponders are now mandated for IFR/VFR OPS in JAA countries on all new delivered planes, and Cirrus does not deliver the Garmin mode S 330 GTX in the SRxx series export is halted.

edited for IFR/VFR ops
3-82973-Kirk_.jpg

Jaap,

Isn’t DME also required for IFR in Europe? What’s the difference between shipping without DME and shipping without Mode S?

On a related note, is Diversified Mode S required in Europe, and if so, does that require a new top-mounted antenna?

So does this mean that if an individual from Europe calls Cirrus and wants to order a SRxx and is willing to pay to have the mode S transponder that they are going to turn him away.

From my perspective, this is the perfect opportunity for Cirrus to simply swap to the 330 mode S transponder for all deliveries. The cost should be reasonably small and we’d all get the new, probably-will-be-required-someday, Mode S transponder.

As an added benefit, we’d all get at least the TIS traffic warning system as standard. There have been endless posts re TIS vs Skywatch on the forum. I paid the the $3500 to have my old transponder replaced about a year ago and have found TIS to be totally adequate for my missions along the east coast. In several ways, I think that the TIS display is actually better than Skywatch.

But, if owners wanted to add Skywatch as an option at the factory, they could still do that.

In reply to:

Yesterday Cirrus Design spokesman Jean L. Kirk in association with the European distributor S-Enterprises (Elbonia, The Netherlands) announced Cirrus Design will stop deliveries to Europe.

There must be more to the story than just the Mode S issue if this is anything more than just a temporary freeze on European deliveries.

Jaap,

Well done! I especially like the fact that your posting ended up dated “April 2” for US readers.

Can you recommend any good $100 hamburgers in Elbonia?

In reply to:

Isn’t DME also required for IFR in Europe? What’s the difference between shipping without DME and shipping without Mode S?
On a related note, is Diversified Mode S required in Europe, and if so, does that require a new top-mounted antenna?

• All new airplanes delivered in Europe, must be equipped with mode S now. It’s mandatory for VFR OPS (except below 1200 ft) starting March 31, 2008

• DME, and ADF in The Netherlands, is required for IFR also, you are right. We are in the proces of that right now. It was, when I ordered back in 2000 an option, but CD changed that after some time[:(]

• Diversified Mode S (top and bottom antenna) is required for aircraft with a MTOW greater than 5700kg (12500 lbs)

In reply to:

In several ways, I think that the TIS display is actually better than Skywatch.

Well said Bob! I normally fly IFR on any long distance trips where you may not be with the Mode S coverage area. But most locations on the east coast (esp in the NE) are covered and TIS represents a great system.

I also agree. I had the 330 installed last summer and love it. Sometimes I think Cirrus gets hung up on not wanting to change things. The same folks who believe we are “burning up our valves” running LOP also seem to think that the 330 transponder is too big and requires a wiring alteration behind the radio stack. But, if we all can do it easily as an aftermod, that fear is clearly unfounded.
I would hate to think Cirrus just has some kind of deal with Skywatch not to introduce any competition.
But with the Europe situation the 330 is more than just a traffic system. The mode S is something that has a lot of potential future use (and now CURRENT use in Europe).

[:$]

In reply to:

Jaap,
Well done! I especially like the fact that your posting ended up dated “April 2” for US readers.?

If it showed up as April 2 for us … it would surely have done so for European readers too.

OK. Even though I’m still incredulous that I fell for this, let me go on the defensive. According to the time of the post, this April Fools joke was unleashed at 6:38 AM CST on 04/02/04, which would make it, what, 1:38 PM on 04/02/04 in the Netherlands?

Even Hawaii had already crossed into April 2. I get the fact that Jaap referred to “Yesterday” in his little news-release, but thatÂ’s really pushing the boundaries of acceptable, man. From “Yesterday…” it’s a slippery slope to “Last Thursday…” or “Last month…” Now we’re really going to have to keep our guard up.[:)]

Curt,

I will take you for a hamburger,but we will have to fly with ElboniaAir

They have YAVLC * catapults for travel; real planes are to high tech…

• Yet Another Very Light Catapult , explanation for Andy [;)][;)]
    1-83414-ElboniaAir.jpg

In reply to:

Yet Another Very Light Catapult , explanation for Andy

Very, Very funny Japp. Somehow, I always knew it would come back to haunt me that I never read Dilbert.[;)]

Well done. Hook line and sinker!

April 2…APRIL 2!!! [:)]