Traffic Skywatch / Mode S transponder

Fellow Cirrusites,

Any thoughts on the new Garmin mode S transponder GTX 330 ?

http://www.garmin.com/pressroom/aviation/072401b.html

Of course it’s not an active traffic watch, but since European regulations (JAA) will require a mode S transponder anyway in 2005 for IFR and 2008 for VFR operations on all aircraft in Europe (also N-registered) I hope Cirrus and Avidyne will embrace it soon.

Jaap

Jaap,

At Sun N Fun, Cirrus mentioned that the GTX330 transponder is slightly longer than the 320/327 transponders currently in the Cirrus, and that because of this extra depth, it will not fit in the panel.

Not sure how difficult it is to either (a) redesign the panel with a little more depth or (b) redesign the transponder with a little less depth, but one of these things will have to happen before being able to get the 330 into the Cirrus panel.

Of course I suppose you could still install it aftermarket and have it stick out of the panel an inch or so…

There was a thread a while back (I forget if it was on the members or public forums) which discussed the traffic capabilities of the 330… let me know if you can’t find it and I’ll try to dig it up.

Steve

I went with Skywatch. THe main reason was that in Mode S you only see what the nearest ground based radar sees. I fly to a lot of uncontrlled airports and most of them would not show traffic in and around the pattern at these airports.

With Skywatch, I am going to see anyone with a Mode C turned on.

Mason

re Mode S xpndr, I’m going to a Garmin seminar tonight where they’ll talk about the new GTX-330, so I’ll report back here within the next day or so!

Steve,

Any chance the 330 would fit without the Stec55 ? and the second 430/420 installed, like on the 20V2.0v. (SR20 version 2.0 with value-pack). Would that give enough panel space, moving it upward on the stack ?

Jaap

In reply to:

Steve,

Any chance the 330 would fit without the Stec55 ? and the second 430/420 installed, like on the 20V2.0v. (SR20 version 2.0 with value-pack). Would that give enough panel space, moving it upward on the stack ?

Jaap,

That is a good question. My impression was that the 330 was long enough (see Gordon’s response post indicating it’s more then 2 inches longer than the 327) that it would not easily fit anywhere in the current panel – but maybe I misunderstood the comments Cirrus was making at Sun N Fun. I would think that if it fits (somewhere) that Cirrus would start offering it as an option, particularly for you European guys.

Steve