Changing From SR20 to SR22

I’m seeking some input on changing my order for an SR20 to an SR22. My major concerns are if the SR22 is to much airplane for myself and if I will be able to obtain insurance.

My SR20 is scheduled for June, 2002 delivery. I believe if this order is changed to an SR22 it will be due in July. So there is not a big delivery penalty.

I am confident in my ability to trasition to the SR22. But maybe I’m over confident. All of my flying time has been in Cessna 172’s and 182’s.

By the time I take delivery I will have approximitly 250 hours and an IFR rating.

This will be my first airplane to own, so I’m not sure what is involved in owning a plane. I will have a 15 to 20 percent partner who has 4000 to 5000 hours flying time, IFR rating and is a CFII. Hopefully this will help with my insurance cost if we fly together a lot.

Thanks in advance

KClark N306KC

I just took delivery of a new SR22, N752CD. I only have about 160 hours (and a freshly minted instrument rating), all in Archers and C172s. I scheduled three extra days of training in addition to the standard two day program to make sure I was fully prepared.

Needless to say, the SR22 is nothing like the Archer or 172, but after five days of training (23 hours) I feel very comfortable flying it. As for insurance, it wasn’t cheap, and they required 20 hours of dual and 10 hours of solo before carrying passengers, but I’m hoping the premium comes down after I build up more time.

Hope this helps,

Alex

I’m seeking some input on changing my order for an SR20 to an SR22. My major concerns are if the SR22 is to much airplane for myself and if I will be able to obtain insurance.

My SR20 is scheduled for June, 2002 delivery. I believe if this order is changed to an SR22 it will be due in July. So there is not a big delivery penalty.

I am confident in my ability to trasition to the SR22. But maybe I’m over confident. All of my flying time has been in Cessna 172’s and 182’s.

By the time I take delivery I will have approximitly 250 hours and an IFR rating.

This will be my first airplane to own, so I’m not sure what is involved in owning a plane. I will have a 15 to 20 percent partner who has 4000 to 5000 hours flying time, IFR rating and is a CFII. Hopefully this will help with my insurance cost if we fly together a lot.

Thanks in advance

KClark N306KC

KC: I have three questions (in no particular order) which should help you decide:

1. Is the money a factor? This includes the cost of additional training, insurance and fuel.

2. What are your mission needs? In other words which airplane fits what you need (want) it to do better?

3. Are you willing to take the training necessary to get the plane, insure it and fly it safely?

I think if you answer those questions, you will know which airplane is right for you.

It is not a tough plane to fly: in fact it is fairly easy. However, it is very quick. This means that time is compressed & things will happen a lot quicker than you are used to. There will be less time to react.

My 2 cents worth,

Marty

I would recommend the extra training but if you have a CFII as a partner than that may not be an issue. I think the 22 is an excellent plane, I would probably need more time transitioning to a taildragger! Rick Kummerow

Flying the 22 is not significantly harder than flying the 20. There are a couple of minor complexity issues (manually leaning for takeoff at high altitude airports, rudder trim) but the only significant differences are the shorter time before rotation on the takeoff roll (barely enough to look the engine gauges over before you hit 70 knots) and the faster speed. The speed is easily dealt with–fly slower until you become more comfortable. Approach speeds are not significantly different (I do 75 indicated in the 20, and 80 in the 22, but 80 is more forgiving in the 20 if you have enough runway to float over.)

The insurance companies see the difference as far larger, however, due to the high performance label on the 22. Also, don’t expect a break based on your partner’s qualifications; in my experience, the premium is always set based on the least experienced pilot (makes actuarial sense.) If I were your partner I’d find out what the insurance would cost me alone, and then come up with a workable compromise on splitting the cost.

Alex

If you don’t mind, how much is your insurance costing. Your flight time is similar to mine. I became scared about the insurance cost after the SR22 accident in Springfield.

KClark

I just took delivery of a new SR22, N752CD. I only have about 160 hours (and a freshly minted instrument rating), all in Archers and C172s. I scheduled three extra days of training in addition to the standard two day program to make sure I was fully prepared.

Needless to say, the SR22 is nothing like the Archer or 172, but after five days of training (23 hours) I feel very comfortable flying it. As for insurance, it wasn’t cheap, and they required 20 hours of dual and 10 hours of solo before carrying passengers, but I’m hoping the premium comes down after I build up more time.

Hope this helps,

Alex

Thanks in advance

KClark N306KC