bike(s) in back of Cirrus

I currently own a Grumman Tiger and one of the things I really like about it is that I can put two full size bicycles (with the wheels removed) in the back with the back seat folded down. This is a function not only of the space available, but also the access with the sliding canopy.

I am interested in a Cirrus. Does anybody know if you can do the same with the Cirrus?

I haven’t actually tried this yet, but I noticed an interesting property of the Cirrus: you can remove just one of the two back seats. I often need a 3 rather than 4 place airplane, and having the left side back seat out should make for easy (and CG friendly) loading of bikes and other bulky items. --Frank

I am also interested in knowing the answer to your question. My wife loves biking but is not terribly interested in flying. I need to find a way to combine the two to make this work for us. She is also a purist and would not want to settle for riding anything other than one of her touring/racing bikes on a trip (a collapsable bike won’t cut it with her). I asked the Cirrus sales rep about fitting one or two standard bikes in the plane and he said it wasn’t a problem if you took the wheels off and put the back seats down. You also have to load them through the main doors, not the baggage compartment door. But I would really like to hear from someone that has done it to confirm this. I haven’t placed an order yet, but am getting very close. Anyone out there with some first hand experience fitting standard size bikes in the back of the Cirrus?

Steve

I’ve done it. It’s easy. I recommend putting the bikes inside an old comforter cover to protect the plane from grease and tire marks. My full size mountain bike fits easily w/ the wheel off and another would fit easily on top of it.

Hi,

Once I fit three bikes AND three people in the cirrus: I did this by folding down one of the seats, and then stuffing in:

One full sized bike , one Montague folding bike, and one Dahon folding bike.

I did have to go thru the front doors, but that was not a real problem. Compared to my warrior, it was a piece of cake.

Two people and two full sized bikes should be no problem at all. By the way, the rear seats fold down very easily.

Cheers,

Brand

If your wife is a purist I urge you to check out a Bike Friday. I race in triathlons and regularly carry a folding racing bike (Air Friday) that fits in the luggage compartment without folding down the rear seats.

I am also interested in knowing the answer to your question. My wife loves biking but is not terribly interested in flying. I need to find a way to combine the two to make this work for us.<<

You fly–she rides. Meet her with a drink in your hand when she gets there;)