Beware of PayPal

I paid my membership fee by using a credit card which put me into PayPal to process the payment. I had never used PayPal before. After I processed my payment I checked into the accounts section of PayPal to see what it was all about. I was surprised to find that in addition to my COPA payment two other transactions appeared transferring money to me for a purported sale on eBay. I have never bought or sold anything on eBay. I sent an message to PayPal and to the person who had sent the payment. She responded by saying that PayPal had said that I should pay her because they couldn’t straighten it out any other way! Sounds phony to me. I have not heard from PayPal directly. If you used PayPal to pay your dues I suggest you go back in and check your account to see if there are any other transactions. You should have received a email from them that shows you how to log in.

Even though I have received an email from COPA saying that I have been accepted as a member my PayPal account shows that my payment to COPA is “unclaimed”. I could still cancel it. Do you think they would kick me out if I canceled it?

I paid my membership fee by using a credit card which put me into PayPal to process the payment. I had never used PayPal before. After I processed my payment I checked into the accounts section of PayPal to see what it was all about. I was surprised to find that in addition to my COPA payment two other transactions appeared transferring money to me for a purported sale on eBay. I have never bought or sold anything on eBay. I sent an message to PayPal and to the person who had sent the payment. She responded by saying that PayPal had said that I should pay her because they couldn’t straighten it out any other way! Sounds phony to me. I have not heard from PayPal directly. If you used PayPal to pay your dues I suggest you go back in and check your account to see if there are any other transactions. You should have received a email from them that shows you how to log in.
Even though I have received an email from COPA saying that I have been accepted as a member my PayPal account shows that my payment to COPA is “unclaimed”. I could still cancel it. Do you think they would kick me out if I canceled it?
Hi Jim,
Sorry to hear about the “extra” transactions that appeared on your PayPal account! That is clearly unacceptable. It should go without saying, but just to confirm, the COPA membership fee of either $50 or $90 (depending on whether you signed up for 1 or 2 years) is the ONLY fee that was charged by COPA.
Personally, I and some other folks I know have used Paypal for a while without any problems - that’s one reason we decided to go with them for the COPA site. That doesn’t mean they’re great, just that we hadn’t heard of any prior problems.

I will contact you privately via email to try to find out more information about your particular case. I suspect it may have just been some confusion on the part of the eBay auction purchaser.

In the meantime, if anyone else notices this type of thing, please let me know!

Thanks,

Steve Lin

The payPal problem of mine has been solved. It occurred because someone messed up an email address similar to mine and used mine instead. The coincidence that it happened one hour after I paid my dues to COPA and the first time I used COPA seemed too much to believe but it happened.

I have used Pay Pal for over a year as a “merchant” on a website and have not had any complaints from customers. From the merchant standpoint, it has been excellent and a great value.

Hi Jim,

Sorry to hear about the “extra” transactions that appeared on your PayPal account! That is clearly unacceptable. It should go without saying, but just to confirm, the COPA membership fee of either $50 or $90 (depending on whether you signed up for 1 or 2 years) is the ONLY fee that was charged by COPA.

Personally, I and some other folks I know have used Paypal for a while without any problems - that’s one reason we decided to go with them for the COPA site. That doesn’t mean they’re great, just that we hadn’t heard of any prior problems.

I will contact you privately via email to try to find out more information about your particular case. I suspect it may have just been some confusion on the part of the eBay auction purchaser.

In the meantime, if anyone else notices this type of thing, please let me know!

Thanks,

Steve Lin