ATC recognition of Cirrus name

A couple recent postings have mentioned whether air traffic controllers were surprised by the Cirrus name. Since I tell everyone I work with at SoCal approach all about anticipating delivery of my Cirrus (now SR22), I’m hoping that you don’t have to play 20-questions with the radar controllers in Southern California. Just wondering how the Cirrus name recognition was taking hold across the country with ATC.

A couple recent postings have mentioned whether air traffic controllers were surprised by the Cirrus name. Since I tell everyone I work with at SoCal approach all about anticipating delivery of my Cirrus (now SR22), I’m hoping that you don’t have to play 20-questions with the radar controllers in Southern California. Just wondering how the Cirrus name recognition was taking hold across the country with ATC.

I’ve run into little confusion so far (but it’s only been ten days). The folks up north have seen so many of them that it’s commonplace (“compnay traffic on short final” when there’s three of 'em in the pattern at DLH). Some of the SAF folks seem to take it in stride; others get confused (I’ve been called Bonanza, Cessna, and Falcon, though I don’t think I matched the airspeed of the latter).

I flew into ABQ a couple of days ago, and the ground controller chatted me up for several minutes about the plane (he flies a 182). Several air carrier pilots sounded grumpy when they were told to stand by when calling for gate pushes. Pretty hilarious.

Just wondering how the Cirrus name recognition was taking hold across the country with ATC.

FWIW, my experience (based on cross-US trip a month ago) was 15/25/60:

• 15 per cent of the controllers took it entirely in stride, as if you’d said “Bonanza.” DLH area, obviously; downtown St Paul airport; around Chicago; at SBA during the recent fly-in, where they were softened up by having wave after wave come in.

• 25 per cent were interested by the concept and wanted to chat. Tower at HVN (New Haven, Conn) said as I was taxiing toward the ramp, “we were just wondering up here, where does the parachute go?” Tower at OAK (Oakland) – “Cirrus 119CD cleared for landing – you planning to use wheels or parachute this time?” (And no, this wsa NOT somebody who had seen me land before!) Approach and Center controllers asking, “Is that the new airplane?” etc.

• 60 per cent treat you like you’re crazy and either insist on calling you “homebuilt” or “experimental,” or come up with colorful IDs starting with S. My favorite was “Sikorsky.”

My standard reply to “Say again aircraft type” became: “Brand is Cirrus, as in cirrus clouds; model Sierra Romeo Two-Zero; single-engine certified propeller plane, one-five-zero knots.” Based on your expertise as an Actual Controller, anything different one should say to get the msg across?

Based on your expertise as an Actual Controller, >anything different one should say to get the msg >across?

I’d tell them that you’re a “Cirrus, that’s C-I-R-R-U-S, and to get used to saying it.” Of course you’ll move back 3 or 4 places in the approach sequence, but it will have been worth it :slight_smile: I can’t get away with saying that since I eventually have to show up at work.