A Plague upon LA!

I just got back from the Van Nuys CPPP, and what a great time we had! We can be sure SoCal approach knows what a Cirrus is now, after having multiple waves of nearly dozen ships launch simultaneously to shoot approaches all over their sectors. And the Van Nuys tower controller who bragged before the course that ‘we never turn anyone away’ sure had his mettle tested as all the similar call signs converged back after each session.

And the enroute guys were clearly feeling the strain. Halfway home to San Francisco Lemore Approach finally figured out that N275CD and my N751CD were assigned the same squawk code.

I think we should report to each other when controllers call us a Cessna, and call a retaliatory fly-in to teach them what a Cirrus is!

-Curt

In reply to:

I think we should report to each other when controllers call us a Cessna, and call a retaliatory fly-in to teach them what a Cirrus is!

Curt,
Sounds like a great idea! Actually, we’re already “winning”, at least in some areas.
The other day, while I was putting my airplane away in the hangar, I had McGuire Approach (WRI APP) tuned in on handheld. I get pretty good reception from them and much of the traffic they handle, even on the ground. This is what I heard:
WRI APP: Cirrus Three Papa Sierra, turn right heading zero eight zero, vectors for the approach.
3PS: Roger, right zero eight zero, and, uhm, we’re a Cessna.
WRI APP: Cessna Three Papa Sierra, sorry, the last few were all Cirruses.
[:)]

Today, when I was departing my airport, I heard John Fiscus inbound with a new owner (SR22 N716DR/Don Rice).

Yessir… we’re taking over…

Mike.

And San Deigo was challenged also! Upon return from CPPP #2, N208CD was approaching IFR straight-in and N858CD was approaching VFR downwind – now, we both happen to share a hangar, but Montgomery tower was so busy that they worked it out so that we could share a runway, too!

Our …8CD call signs were obviously confused, because instead of getting the parallels 28R and 28L, we were both going for 28L – side-by-side on short final, oops! Got a great close side view of Stuart in the pilot seat!! At least his go-around gave me time to get my plane into the hangar first!

Cheers
Rick

While we were flying east for another ILS 25 approach into Oxnard we got a call from Point Magu Approach “Cirrus 34CD what’s going on”. I explained that there were about 20 Cirrus pilots at
Van Nuys for the CPPP. My instructor Steve Matthews pointed out that only 10 were in the air at any one time. It probably seemed like a lot more to approach.

I think they were still trying to work out the speeds. I got a request “do not exceed 120 kts.” and a Cirrus ahead of us was asked to fly at 90 kts. We both complied. You could hear a supervisor at approach helping them sort it all out.

I found myself answering a call once that was not for me. You really have to listed carefully with all those “Cirrus xxx CD” on the frequency.

The attached image gives you a sense of what SoCal Approach had to deal with. And I wasn’t the back of the line!

-Curt

In reply to:

WRI APP: Cessna Three Papa Sierra, sorry, the last few were all Cirruses… Yessir… we’re taking over…

Hence, the true meaning of “Scattered Cirrus”. (I always laugh when the FSS gives me that in my preflight briefing.) [;)]

Marty

On second thought, the runway was 60 feet wide, so if we just kept to the edges of the runway we could have mede a pretty cool formation landing! Thatwould have gotten the tower’s attention.

And MINE!!!

Cheers
Rick