ARNAV v MX20

From AOPA web site:

UPSAT ADDS JEPP APPROACH CHARTS TO MX20
UPS Aviation Technologies (UPSAT) announced upgrades to its popular MX20 multifunction display that will let pilots view Jeppesen instrument approach charts, terminal area charts, and airport surface charts on the MX20’s moving map display. These new display functions, called Chart View, will automatically display charts appropriate to various phases of flight. The Chart View upgrade—available September 1—is priced at $2,495, but early subscribers will get a $500 discount. Jeppesen database updates to support Chart View will have an initial cost of $126; the annual revision service (a CD-ROM update every 14 days) is priced at $839 per year. The CD-ROM will also let subscribers print hard copies of approach charts and surface charts.

Jim: IMHO the ideal panel would consist of the UPSAT with an engine monitoring module. With the smaller physical size, hopefully the audio panel could be mounted above the UPSAT display on the right side along with the Insight Air data computer and the Windicator to it’s left. This would clear up enough room in the radio stack to substitute a Garmin 530 for the #1 430. With the outisde air temperature data available on the Insight, there would no need for the Davtron o.a.t./clock. You could mount mount the Goodrich AIM series back up AH there with a separate battery pack similar to the installation in the Piper Meridian. I am not certain of the dimensions of the UPSAT compated to the ARNAV, but I think it is smaller. Unfortunately, there are a lot of regulatory issues in such a plan, not to mention lots of additional money and sheet metal work on the panel. Ah, well, one can dream!

From AOPA web site:

UPSAT ADDS JEPP APPROACH CHARTS TO MX20
UPS Aviation Technologies (UPSAT) announced upgrades to its popular MX20 multifunction display that will let pilots view Jeppesen instrument approach charts, terminal area charts, and airport surface charts on the MX20’s moving map display. These new display functions, called Chart View, will automatically display charts appropriate to various phases of flight. The Chart View upgrade—available September 1—is priced at $2,495, but early subscribers will get a $500 discount. Jeppesen database updates to support Chart View will have an initial cost of $126; the annual revision service (a CD-ROM update every 14 days) is priced at $839 per year. The CD-ROM will also let subscribers print hard copies of approach charts and surface charts.

Steven has expressed exactly my vision of the ideal panel. The only change I’d make would be that I think that I’d put the STec 55X head up on top rather than the audio panel, as I think that would be a lot cleaner from a wire routing standpoint.

Jim: IMHO the ideal panel would consist of the UPSAT with an engine monitoring module. With the smaller physical size, hopefully the audio panel could be mounted above the UPSAT display on the right side along with the Insight Air data computer and the Windicator to it’s left. This would clear up enough room in the radio stack to substitute a Garmin 530 for the #1 430. With the outisde air temperature data available on the Insight, there would no need for the Davtron o.a.t./clock. You could mount mount the Goodrich >>UPSAT ADDS JEPP APPROACH CHARTS TO MX20

UPS Aviation Technologies (UPSAT) announced upgrades to its popular MX20 multifunction display that will let pilots view Jeppesen instrument approach charts, terminal area charts, and airport surface charts on the MX20’s moving map display. These new display functions, called Chart View, will automatically display charts appropriate to various phases of flight. The Chart View upgrade—available September 1—is priced at $2,495, but early subscribers will get a $500 discount. Jeppesen database updates to support Chart View will have an initAIM series back up AH there with a separate battery pack similar to the installation in the Piper Meridian. I am not certain of the dimensions of the UPSAT compated to the ARNAV, but I think it is smaller. Unfortunately, there are a lot of regulatory issues in such a plan, not to mention lots of additional money and sheet metal work on the panel. Ah, well, one can dream!

Hey Guys. The UPS is about 1/3 the size of the Arnav. After using the ARNAV display for 85 hours, I feel it is perfect for the Cirrus. Having seen the new FREE software (at Oshkosh) we are getting next month, I can assure you it will be even better…a lot better. It is impossible to please everyone, but I have flown with the Garmin 530 on a TBM 700 for about 15 hours. It is not needed. The twin 430’s are perfect with the ARNAV above the Garmin stack. The layout and functionality is perfect. It is clean and uncluttered. Why screw it up and go back to a mix-mash layout of different size boxes? If you try it, you will love it.

If any of you are in Florida, e-mail me and I will show you what I’m talking about.

Denis

Steven has expressed exactly my vision of the ideal panel. The only change I’d make would be that I think that I’d put the STec 55X head up on top rather than the audio panel, as I think that would be a lot cleaner from a wire routing standpoint.

Jim: IMHO the ideal panel would consist of the UPSAT with an engine monitoring module. With the smaller physical size, hopefully the audio panel could be mounted above the UPSAT display on the right side along with the Insight Air data computer and the Windicator to it’s left. This would clear up enough room in the radio stack to substitute a Garmin 530 for the #1 430. With the outisde air temperature data available on the Insight, there would no need for the Davtron o.a.t./clock. You could mount mount the Goodrich >>UPSAT ADDS JEPP APPROACH CHARTS TO MX20

UPS Aviation Technologies (UPSAT) announced upgrades to its popular MX20 multifunction display that will let pilots view Jeppesen instrument approach charts, terminal area charts, and airport surface charts on the MX20’s moving map display. These new display functions, called Chart View, will automatically display charts appropriate to various phases of flight. The Chart View upgrade—available September 1—is priced at $2,495, but early subscribers will get a $500 discount. Jeppesen database updates to support Chart View will have an initAIM series back up AH there with a separate battery pack similar to the installation in the Piper Meridian. I am not certain of the dimensions of the UPSAT compated to the ARNAV, but I think it is smaller. Unfortunately, there are a lot of regulatory issues in such a plan, not to mention lots of additional money and sheet metal work on the panel. Ah, well, one can dream!

…Having seen the new FREE software (at Oshkosh) we are getting next month, I can assure you it will be even better…a lot better

What version of software are they showing at Oshkosh? My plane arrived with 920AF, and the ‘new’ SW available on the Arnav website is 920AG. Is the Osh new software more recent than that?

-Curt

If the ARNAV kicked butt like it should and was remotely competitive AND had engine monitoring that wasn’t being yanked by emergency ADs, yeah, sure, I agree that you’d have everything you’d need with the exception of a backup horizon, which I consider essential, especially given Mike’s report of total electrical failure when the ground bus connection came loose. (Still seeking the critical bit of info: is the SR22 susceptible to the same failure? If so, you are nuts to go into IMC without a backup horizon and handheld GPS.)

Can you elaborate on the nature of the improvements in the new ARNAV software?

Gordon

Hey Guys. The UPS is about 1/3 the size of the Arnav. After using the ARNAV display for 85 hours, I feel it is perfect for the Cirrus. Having seen the new FREE software (at Oshkosh) we are getting next month, I can assure you it will be even better…a lot better. It is impossible to please everyone, but I have flown with the Garmin 530 on a TBM 700 for about 15 hours. It is not needed. The twin 430’s are perfect with the ARNAV above the Garmin stack. The layout and functionality is perfect. It is clean and uncluttered. Why screw it up and go back to a mix-mash layout of different size boxes? If you try it, you will love it.

If any of you are in Florida, e-mail me and I will show you what I’m talking about.

Denis

I own one of the engine monitor systems, and haven’t heard anything about an emergency AD? Is this official or rumor?

If the ARNAV kicked butt like it should and was remotely competitive AND had engine monitoring that wasn’t being yanked by emergency ADs, yeah, sure, I agree that you’d have everything you’d need with the exception of a backup horizon, which I consider essential, especially given Mike’s report of total electrical failure when the ground bus connection came loose. (Still seeking the critical bit of info: is the SR22 susceptible to the same failure? If so, you are nuts to go into IMC without a backup horizon and handheld GPS.)

Gordon

Denis

Hello Gordon,

Some people say we are nuts flying any single engine airplane in IFR.

Sure, you can be sitting in your car on a stormy night and get struck by lighting too.

If I can use my knowledge of what is going on with airspeed/Altimeter and good old stand-by compass, may be I should not be flying no matter how many back ups I have.

Have a great Cirrus day rain or shine.

Woor

Gordon

Denis

I own one of the engine monitor systems, and haven’t heard anything about an emergency AD? Is this official or rumor?

It is an official rumor - someone posted that here a couple weeks ago. I was dumb for repeating it without confirming its validity. I do not know whether it is true or not.

Gordon

It is an official rumor - someone posted that here a couple weeks ago. I was dumb for repeating it without confirming its validity. I do not know whether it is true or not.

Gordon

It is NOT true.

Denis

The best place to determine whether an AD really exists is the following FAA web site:
http://www.airweb.faa.gov/Regulatory_and_Guidance_Library/rgAD.nsf/MainFrame?OpenFrameSethttp://www.airweb.faa.gov/Regulatory_and_Guidance_Library/rgAD.nsf/MainFrame?OpenFrameSet
In addition to displaying the latest ADs, this site has all Airworthiness Directives (ADs) issued by the FAA which are still in effect – some dating back to the 1940’s.

As Denis correctly pointed out, there are no ADs that involve ARNAV products.