ARNAV (Round III)

Well, the UPSAT MX20 costs about $6,000 and the ARNAV lists for about $13,000. Based on the UPSAT web site and Aviation Consumer, the MX20 can do just about everything the ARNAV can do, except engine monitoring and mayabe WX uplink at this time.

OOOPs, the ARNAV can’t do those in the Cirruses either!!!

The MX20 has VFR, IFR and Approach chart capability. I do not know the cost or availability of those databases. Now getting paper out of the cockpit WOULD really be an advance! The screen is a 6" diagonal and it looks great.

Other thoughts: I do not think the cost of upgrading to the GARMIN 530 is worth it if you have another display. In the case of the SR22, you have 2 others - the ARNAV MFD (or its replacement) and the Sandel.

The position of the Garmins also make them a poor choice for primary refernece, especially in IMC.

I will try to talk the the factory this week and see if they want to work with me on this one.

Marty

Marty,

In about 4 weeks, my 260SE will be configured very similar to what you are talking about. 430, Sandel, MX20 map. I agree the 530 with MX20 is overkill. I’ve seen in detail what the MX20 can do at present, and its next software release, sechudled for this spring, should include APPROACH CHARTS – that’s right, scanned photos of the Jepp charts with your airplane superimposed. This is possible because the MX20 resolution is photo qulaity, as opposed to either the garmins or arnav. The current MX20 database works much like Garmins, card loaded…etc. MX 20 has de-bugged terrain awareness, with color-coded warnings showing relative heights of terrain. Very useful in unfamiliar IMC

Drop me an e-mail at Deanger@mindspring.com and we can talk about it more. I know someone at UPS from researching their product. We can also talk about Cirrus. I’m a full year behind you in line, but with similar wants.

Marty,

In about 4 weeks, my 260SE will be configured very similar to what you are talking about. 430, Sandel, MX20 map. I agree the 530 with MX20 is overkill. I’ve seen in detail what the MX20 can do at present, and its next software release, sechudled for this spring, should include APPROACH CHARTS – that’s right, scanned photos of the Jepp charts with your airplane superimposed. This is possible because the MX20 resolution is photo qulaity, as opposed to either the garmins or arnav. The current MX20 database works much like Garmins, card loaded…etc. MX 20 has de-bugged terrain awareness, with color-coded warnings showing relative heights of terrain. Very useful in unfamiliar IMC

Drop me an e-mail at Deanger@mindspring.com and we can talk about it more. I know someone at UPS from researching their product. We can also talk about Cirrus. I’m a full year behind you in line, but with similar wants.

I too would love to figure out a way to dump the ARNAV. Literally, in the nearest large body of water. I figure it would have 0 resale value. Can you imagine trying to fit that big honker in a Cessna. It might fit in the Spirit of St. Lewis but anything else with enough real estate already has a much better display. Its kind of like the old loran “A” units were. Barely adequate in its day. I love the Cirrus airplanes but it rubs me wrong that my hard earned money goes for such a thing.

I am suppose to get my SR22 in a little over a year. Anything I could do to help get rid of the thing let me know.

M Myers

Count me in on the ARNAV/MX20 exchange program drive (see my previous contributions, my emailaddress is above). Researched the MX20 and it’s worth it. 430’s will do just fine in the combo. Dropping the ARNAV in the water makes an expensive but effective boatanker…

OTOH If ANRNAV comes up with a motherboard with CPU, interface/connector and CD drive the retrofit would be easier.

I have 15 months to go to SR22, so plenty of time. Cirrus folks on this frequency???

Han (SR20 N144CD)

Marty,

I too would love to figure out a way to dump the ARNAV. Literally, in the nearest large body of water. I figure it would have 0 resale value. Can you imagine trying to fit that big honker in a Cessna. It might fit in the Spirit of St. Lewis but anything else with enough real estate already has a much better display. Its kind of like the old loran “A” units were. Barely adequate in its day. I love the Cirrus airplanes but it rubs me wrong that my hard earned money goes for such a thing.

I am suppose to get my SR22 in a little over a year. Anything I could do to help get rid of the thing let me know.

M Myers

What I really hope (and I suspect what a lot of us hope) is that very soon the folks at ARNAV finish the software upgrades that really make it a MULTI-FUNCTION DISPLAY, because everytime I sit in a Cirrus and look in that direction it is nice to see such a big fat screen looking back. They jumped in when no one knew how the SR20 would do, let’s hope they come through again. If not, at least there are options out there.