1999 avionics sr20

I am currently looking at a 1999 cirrus sr20. I noticed in the logs that the arnav has not been updated in the last annual as well as the garmin 430 and 250xl. Does anyone have any idea of what the cost would be for something like this?

ARNAV if you are talking about getting it to Revision H will run you around $1,000. But are you talking about an entire Revision to say the High Res version, or just the airport database?

If the airport DB, i’d leave it the way it is. I don’t think mine has been updated in 7 years and the mountain tops haven’t changed their height.

In reply to:

I noticed in the logs that the arnav has not been updated in the last annual as well as the garmin 430 and 250xl.

From the wording of your question I am reading it to mean the Data cards and Jeppesen database in the units. The 430 and 250 you can buy a annual subscription or a one time update for from Jepp.

The Arnav is a different story. The rev H people are talking about are optional revisions you can buy that update the Operating system (loosely analogous to updating your PC from XP to Vista). They also have a database that outlines details like Victor airways, class B, C, D airspace, MOA’s, etc… I know that you used to be able to buy that update from Arnav, but I have heard from a Arnav Cirrus owner (who wanted the recent PHX Class B revision to show up) that Arnav is decommitting support for navigation databases. I would call them directly and see if you can buy a database update and ask specifically what is in the update and see what they say. IIRC they are available, but show minimal nav data - certainly less than they used to show and I think specifically Victor airways and Airspace boundaries are gone. While I think the Arnav is a good unit, if that is true, the Arnav equipment is stuck in a point in time and makes it way less desirable that it used to be.

Otherwise, for VFR ops nothing needs to be updated. For IFR ops you will need the 430 current, but all the other avionics need not be current. The Arnav specifically is for “reference only”, so while nice to have it current it is not necessary.

Good luck.

Some data bases have changed just recently, Phoenix for example. I sent my Arnav in to Sagem for a repair on the dimmer control & they charged me $1495.00 for the revision H upgrade & that included the repair. I thought that it was a good deal. They were very nice & returned my unit within a week. You need to send the unit to the Washington office to have them work on the MFD. Their #, if you are interested, is 1-972-314-3600. Shipping is included for the price.

In reply to:

I don’t think mine has been updated in 7 years and the mountain tops haven’t changed their height.

Be sure you get an update following the next earthquake! [:D]