Arnav engine monitoring: request for help

I am currently in the middle of my install. Two questions:

1. My Stormscope doesn’t work. In a previous posting I recall another engine monitoring install report, where another owner had the same problem. He reported that the Arnav instructions had an incorrect step. Does anyone know what that step was?

2. After install, my factory CHT gauge reads much lower, supposedly attributable to a spacer that is required to install the Arnav probe. Do others have this experience? I guess it really doesn’t matter, but the temps and red lines are now incorrect on the old gauge.

Thank you for your help.

P.s.–Arnav’s telling the installer that a new software edition for engine monitoring will be out shortly.

Dave, I’m the one with the stormscope problem, which by the way is working perfectly now. I’m afraid that I’ve given so much PR to my installer that it may become a bother to him. I’ll get the specific information from him, and post very soon (hopefully tomorrow). The problem had to do with the Arnav instructions to cut a wire that shouldn’t be cut, I think. Can’t believe Arnav isn’t on top of this.

Andy

I am currently in the middle of my install. Two questions:

1. My Stormscope doesn’t work. In a previous posting I recall another engine monitoring install report, where another owner had the same problem. He reported that the Arnav instructions had an incorrect step. Does anyone know what that step was?
  1. After install, my factory CHT gauge reads much lower, supposedly attributable to a spacer that is required to install the Arnav probe. Do others have this experience? I guess it really doesn’t matter, but the temps and red lines are now incorrect on the old gauge.

Thank you for your help.

P.s.–Arnav’s telling the installer that a new software edition for engine monitoring will be out shortly.

Dave,

The problem is in a DB-9 connector through which the ICDS2000 communicates with the stormscope. Two pins (2 & 3, if I remember correctly), are shown incorrectly on the wiring diagram; they should be swapped. These pins are the RS-232 Transmit and Receive. Your installer can find the pins on the ARNAV drawing ENG-4971, on the connector marked “From Wx500”.

As Andy points out, it is a crying shame that installers are being left to fall over this problem each time; in my case, and several others I know of, it cost an extra trip to have it corrected.

• Mike.

The problem is in a DB-9 connector through which the ICDS2000 communicates with the stormscope. Two pins (2 & 3, if I remember correctly), are shown incorrectly on the wiring diagram; they should be swapped. These pins are the RS-232 Transmit and Receive. Your installer can find the pins on the ARNAV drawing ENG-4971, on the connector marked “From Wx500”.
David & Mike,
That’s, pins 2 & 3 of the DB9. Here’s the problem in a bit more detail:

• On page 13 of the installation manual, it talks about cutting the wires between the ICDS2000 and the Stormscope, then putting in DB9 connectors. It tells you which pin from the ICDS connector to put in male DB9 pin 2, and which to put in male DB9 pin 3. So far, so good.
  • Then it says “Note the wire color code for pins 2 and 3 on the Male DB-9 (you will have to reverse the pin 2 and pin 3 colors when connecting the female DB-9 in the next step).”
  • That last sentence is INCORRECT. You do NOT want to reverse the pin2 and pin3 colors when connecting the female DB9. In other words, once you hook up the male DB9 as per the instructions, whatever color wire went to pin 2 in that DB9, also hook it up to pin 2 in the female DB9.
    This is the problem I had with my installation. (Of course, standard caveat – this is what my installation suffered from; if they’ve made changes to the hardware or instructions since then, maybe all bets are off).

Email me if you need more info.

Thanks,

Steve