Arnav engine monitoring--installation fiasco

My install is finally completed. I spent a totally unnecessary 10 hours troubleshooting why my Stormscope didn’t work. A previous post mentioned an error in Arnav’s instructions, so I attempted to be cautious and directly queried Arnav at the start of the install as to whether previous errors in install instructions had been corrected. I was assured they had. So, when the Stormscope didn’t work, we assumed an install error, and spent many hours looking for it.

Turns out my version of engine monitoring, version B, still had the install error in it. This is detailed in a previous posting, and entails Arnavs instructions having two critical pins reversed in their instructions.

I mention this for a couple of reasons. First, it reinforces the value of this site, as it was other owners who kindly solved the problem, not Arnav. So thank you again.

Secondly, it reinforces my opinion that internally, the good folks at Arnav couldn’t organize an ant parade to a jelly jar. It is unbelievable that something this critical would not be the subject of some type of formalized published correction. More amazing is that phone calls to Arnav, where we directly asked if the install instruction regarding Stormscope installation were correct, both before the install and after the Stormscope was non-functioning, still did not cause a light bulb to go on, resulting in a review of the directions provided. I know damn well other people had the same issues.

Incidentally, my engine monitoring kit arrived with parts missing, and without any final setup instructions. I haven’t received the bill yet, but I’m already cringing. The set-up procedures had to be faxed to us. Not fair.

So, if you’re getting engine monitoring installed, careful!

I had the same problem as David. Also, after my engine monitor was ordered, the price went up $75. They insisted on the higher price, despite it being over the quoted price. I guess the higher price is to cover their great customer service.

My install is finally completed. I spent a totally unnecessary 10 hours troubleshooting why my Stormscope didn’t work. A previous post mentioned an error in Arnav’s instructions, so I attempted to be cautious and directly queried Arnav at the start of the install as to whether previous errors in install instructions had been corrected. I was assured they had. So, when the Stormscope didn’t work, we assumed an install error, and spent many hours looking for it.

Turns out my version of engine monitoring, version B, still had the install error in it. This is detailed in a previous posting, and entails Arnavs instructions having two critical pins reversed in their instructions.

I mention this for a couple of reasons. First, it reinforces the value of this site, as it was other owners who kindly solved the problem, not Arnav. So thank you again.

Secondly, it reinforces my opinion that internally, the good folks at Arnav couldn’t organize an ant parade to a jelly jar. It is unbelievable that something this critical would not be the subject of some type of formalized published correction. More amazing is that phone calls to Arnav, where we directly asked if the install instruction regarding Stormscope installation were correct, both before the install and after the Stormscope was non-functioning, still did not cause a light bulb to go on, resulting in a review of the directions provided. I know damn well other people had the same issues.

Incidentally, my engine monitoring kit arrived with parts missing, and without any final setup instructions. I haven’t received the bill yet, but I’m already cringing. The set-up procedures had to be faxed to us. Not fair.

David,

I am about to pick up N567AB from Top Gun – they have just replaced the Arnav (it died 10 hours into its life) and upgraded it to have the engine monitoring package.

How do I tell if they have made the mistake you ran into? I understand that it messes us the Stormscope, but what are the symptoms?

I want Top Gun to check and make sure it is OK before I made the cumbersome trip out to pick up my plane.

Btw, not only did my Arnav die, but one of my Garmin 430’s Comm side is so weak as to be unusable. We verified that it was the radio by swapping the two 430’s. Two major avionics failures in 25 hours. Given that I’m not the only one with problems with either unit, I think this shows a lack of quality control at Garmin, Arnav, and Cirrus (Cirrus is reponsible for the quality of their suppliers).

David,

I agree, the ARNAV issue/support is troubling. I like my ARNAV, but I can not even get a price on installing the engine monitor option. I wrote them about 3 weeks ago, and was told to check with a local ARNAV Dealer and they all told me they no longer install ARNAV, or they did not even know anything about it. Some Dealers they have. Geeeeeze. I put them in touch with someone who wanted to do the install…a very qualified company. They sent him a Application and he has not heard from them yet. Is 2 weeks of “Nothing” reasonable? Hummm. Well, my guess is that ARNAV thinks they are the only game in town. I think they will be soon surprised. IÂ’ll get a onetime STC for another monitor and give this one to Civil Air Patrol for a write-off, and I would not be surprised to Cirrus looking elsewhere soon.

Denis

Robert, as previously noted, I’m a fan of the big-screen functionality of the Arnav. I’m really glad it’s in the plane. BUT:

1. Given the trouble so many people have had so often with Arnav service, and given the missing indications that Arnav is staying in the features race with Avidyne, etc, I think it’s worth starting to ask Cirrus for make-or-break dates by which they’ll seriously consider other suppliers if Arnav doesn’t meet X, Y, or Z performance standard. (Garmin, by contrast, is obviously very much in the features race, and my impression is that its quality/service record has been better.)

2. On Top Gun, my repair experience there has all been very positive. I like and trust them. But, as you notice, it is no picnic to get there from the Bay Area. I hope that as the population of Bay Area Cirri continues to grow, Cirrus will put some emphasis on more conveniently-placed alternatives.

David,

I am about to pick up N567AB from Top Gun – they have just replaced the Arnav (it died 10 hours into its life) and upgraded it to have the engine monitoring package.

How do I tell if they have made the mistake you ran into? I understand that it messes us the Stormscope, but what are the symptoms?

I want Top Gun to check and make sure it is OK before I made the cumbersome trip out to pick up my plane.

Btw, not only did my Arnav die, but one of my Garmin 430’s Comm side is so weak as to be unusable. We verified that it was the radio by swapping the two 430’s. Two major avionics failures in 25 hours. Given that I’m not the only one with problems with either unit, I think this shows a lack of quality control at Garmin, Arnav, and Cirrus (Cirrus is reponsible for the quality of their suppliers).

This is an extremely important point, since after mine had that problem, I was flying around in the clouds wondering why I heard other people deviating when the stormscope display was completely clear, until it dawned on me that the stormscope just plain wasn’t working!

Worst part is that you wouldn’t know it just by looking at the display, it would still go into “cell mode” and “strike mode”, and just would show 0 strikes!

The only way I could tell it really wasn’t working was to run some diagnostics. When the Arnav first powers up, there’s a button that says “DIAGNOSTICS” that you can press. (Quick, or it will go to map/engine mode if you don’t hit anything!)

From there you can select “Stormscope”. There’s several tests here. The simplest is “Software Version”. If the stormscope is not connected right, it’ll just say “NO REPLY”. If it’s okay, you’ll see the BFGoodrich software version page.

“Self-Test” and “Strike Test” are also useful, but for the particular problem described here, it’s all or nothing – either all the tests will fail, or they should all pass.

Steve

I think it’s worth starting to ask Cirrus for make-or-break dates by which they’ll seriously consider other suppliers if Arnav doesn’t meet X, Y, or Z performance standard.

FWIW, l just read Columbia will install TWO Apollo MX20 in their 300s and 400s.

At least they are listening to and learning from our concerns…

I wonder why CD doesn’t?

As innovative the SRs are compared to other planes, at this point CD (together with Arnav) remained in the last century and refuse to do a step towards today.

So far I learned, the Arnav is outperformed in every task by competitors, except for size. In order to beat even that, there is a MFD called Moving Terrain, which can display on an additional 10+" screen.

Wilfried

Another way to check the stormscope (on the ground) is turn it on, and plug in a 110 volt drill and put it level, with the ant, at about 10’ from the aircraft and turn it on for a sec. If you don’t see a line of X’s, it is not working. The drills moter will provide the sparks you need. The other way is fly to Florida any summer afternoon and set it for 200 miles. If you don’t see any X’s, it ain’t working. LOL

Denis

This is an extremely important point, since after mine had that problem, I was flying around in the clouds wondering why I heard other people deviating when the stormscope display was completely clear, until it dawned on me that the stormscope just plain wasn’t working!

Worst part is that you wouldn’t know it just by looking at the display, it would still go into “cell mode” and “strike mode”, and just would show 0 strikes!

The only way I could tell it really wasn’t working was to run some diagnostics. When the Arnav first powers up, there’s a button that says “DIAGNOSTICS” that you can press. (Quick, or it will go to map/engine mode if you don’t hit anything!)

From there you can select “Stormscope”. There’s several tests here. The simplest is “Software Version”. If the stormscope is not connected right, it’ll just say “NO REPLY”. If it’s okay, you’ll see the BFGoodrich software version page.

“Self-Test” and “Strike Test” are also useful, but for the particular problem described here, it’s all or nothing – either all the tests will fail, or they should all pass.

Steve