annual maintenance

Does anyone know what qualifications if any, a mechanic must have to service the SR20? Does the plane need to be flown back to Duluth each year for it’s annual or 100nm check?

Does anyone know what qualifications if any, a mechanic must have to service the SR20? Does the plane need to be flown back to Duluth each year for it’s annual or 100nm check?

At the time of my order/factory tour, I was told that the “P” (Powerplant) experience required of an A&P was fairly routine, since Continental’s technology was well-tested and well-known in the marketplace. The “A” (Airframe) part would require a bit more training in composites, since they were less common–especially for repairs. I was assured that they were developing a network of at least twenty Cirrus-certified shops scattered around North America.

I suspect that our leading-edge Cirrus Drivers are by now aware of whatever service may be available in SoCal/New England/Midwest, etc. Walt, in Minnesota, may have the luxury of flying his bird back to the “nest” if its feathers need preening!

Any comments fellows?

Second try is a charm.

I posted this under the wrong message before.

Do the names Continental, Hartzell, Cleveland, Champion, Slick, Brackett, Woodward, Garmin, Arnav, S-Tec, GE, and Duracell sound familiar?

With the greatly reduced parts count in a composite fuselage, there is an amazingly low number of unique parts on the SR20.

The airframe inspection should be the only significant difference in the annual inspection.

I hope that Cirrus Design will keep an updated annual inspection checklist on the internet.

The IA mechanics doing the inspections on the metal Pipers, Cessnas, Bonanzas, and Mooneys had training that emphasized round engines and tube and fabric, but they do have experience.

For the SR20 it would be nice to have a mechanic with years of experience doing inspections on make and model but that isn’t available.

Next best would be the factory and after that would the approved service centers.

One of them is reasonably close to me (Sheboygan -barely an hour’s drive).

I had an annual done there about ten years ago on a Cessna and they were one of the best shops that I have dealt with.

I would think that the factory should want to see the first ten or twenty aircraft after one year in service but that would be a real logistics problem in most cases.

I would be interested in having the factory do it if they would give me a loaner (perhaps a 300hp prototype?) or if it could be done on a weekend.