Aero-tow

Anyone using the AERO-TOW? I have read the power-tow posts and was interested in a comparision.
db

Darryl: I too would be interested in personal experience reports with the Aero Tow, particularly the model E-200.

There are a couple of improvements to that model in the works.

First, there will be a variable speed control for the motor.

Secondly, they are switching to a 24 volt system. I don’t think these changes are in place yet.

I got an e-mail from the owner Terry on September 21, 2001. He indicates that the new unit will be out in “about 60 days” and will have two sealed lead acid batteries 24 volt and variable speed.

He indicates that the charger is internal to the unit and cannot be removed from the unit. However, I’m thinking that all that would be necessary for a ground power unit with the E-200 would be a cable with lugs to attach to the E-200 battery on one end and the mating plug for the Cirrus at the other end. After you have positioned the aircraft, you can just motor up the E-200 to near the ground power plug on the Cirrus and plug in the cable and the a.c. cord to the E-200 and then spend all the time you want programming the avionics, etc.

Presumably the 24 volt model of the E-200 will have more power to the wheels than the 12 volt model. It’s a little early to tell.

D.
I literally got my ez100 delivered 2 days ago and can say it works very well. However, it seems ‘borderline’ regarding the power. I am on very level ground with a small lip to get into the hangar. It does fine…but would need a little nudging if the terrain was sloped. I think waiting to see if the new ‘24V’ system will double as ‘aux’ power is a good idea. I already have a 24V battery, cable, plug, charger and timer for this purpose.
Don

My question is for fit Sr22 owners. Do you need a mechanical tow to move your planes around or can you do it my hand with out much problem?

Shirley, Let’s see: 24 volt, neutral gear, easily maneuvered ,easily attaches, built-in charger, doubles as an external power source.
what’s wrong here?
db

Steve, Do you have a web site and or the e-mail address for Aer-tow? I’m trying to decide on which to buy, PowerTow or Aero-tow. Thanks

Darryl: I haven’t used this unit personally. Some prior posts have indicated that the electric powered units (in that case 110 volt) were weaker than the gasoline units.

Also, Aero Tow is not recommending connection of their battery/charger to the aircraft. I’m not sure what the output of the built in charger is and that would have to be checked against the expected draw of the aircraft equipment to see that it put out more or less the amount of the draw by the aircraft equipment before making the connection.

There may be other issues relating to the quality of the current provided by the built in charger. I’m not sure. You may want to check further with Aero Tow about these issues.

I’d still like to see a first hand report on the E-200 moving a SR22.

Seems to me, when using it for external power, just make sure its not plugged in to AC current. Can’t get cleaner power than from batteries.

Its http://members.aol.com/_ht_a/aerotow/index.htm for the web page and aerotow@aol.com for the e-mail.

By the way, I located a product called JumpMax at Northern Tool & Equipment Company. It consists of a length of #4 wires with lugs to connect to a vehicle battery and a socket that fits a matching plug that has a pair of #4 wires 30’ in length with jaw clamps on the end. I wrote Terry at AeroTow to ask if he would be interested in making the ground power cable an option on his tugs. The jaw clamps would be replaced with the matching connector for the Cirrus. The socket would go under the battery tray. That way, when you needed to use the unit for ground power, you would plug in the cable assembly to the tug and to the aircraft. When you needed to use it as a tug, the ground power cable would be removed. Even if Terry doesn’t offer it as an option, you can do the same thing with yours.

Note that the 24-volt PowerTow E200 is not yet available. He is in process of modifying the E200 to change the 12-volt system to 24-volt and to provide a variable speed control for the motor. This unit should be available soon. Check with AeroTow for the details as to exactly when.

Also, I asked Terry at AeroTow what the capacity of his built in charger is. I don’t have the answer to that question yet. If its enough to run the avionics on the Cirrus, all should be fine. The batteries in the tug should also assist in starting the Cirrus should its battery be just a little (not completely discharged) low. The POH has specific guidelines that the aircraft battery must be removed from the aircraft if charging is needed.

I built a hanger (50’ wide X 60’ deep outside dimensions) for my SR22 with a 46’ door. I taxi my plane to or into the hangar and then using the tow bar turn the plane around inside the hanger. I find that the plane pulls much easier than backs. Also when backing with the castering nose wheel, any turning you do with the tow bar magnifies the movement at the tail of the plane. I can spin the plane with the tow bar in its tracks, hard to believe until you see it done.
For me (farmer in mid 40’s) I can handle the plane on level or very slight incline without a power tow.