aero-tow

I purchased a battery powered tow from a company called Aero-tow. I like it very much-costs $1,000, and fits the SR 20 perfectly. See their web page, members.aol.com/aerotow, or call them at 920-648-8114. The owner’s name is Terry, a real gentleman. Aerotow is located in Lake Mills, Wi. Best, Dave

I purchased a battery powered tow from a company called Aero-tow. I like it very much-costs $1,000, and fits the SR 20 perfectly. See their web page, News, Politics, Sports, Mail & Latest Headlines - AOL.com, or call them at 920-648-8114. The owner’s name is Terry, a real gentleman. Aerotow is located in Lake Mills, Wi. Best, Dave

I made a purchase from them also. Not yet delivered, so I can’t comment on the finished product. Service and accommodation, to this point, has been terrific.

Which model did you buy for $1000.00 the 1/2 hp or the 1 hp model? (I could not find any prices on their web site). The previous posts from “PowerTow” suggest that some electric models may not have adequate power to pull the cirrus up inclines very well (I realize they did not mention the size of their unit or the brand). I have a pretty good incline from my taxi way to my hanger and am investigating various options (lawn tractor, tugs that lift the nose wheel, tugs that use the tow bar attach points etc) to tug my SR22 when I get it home in the Augest time frame.

I purchased a battery powered tow from a company called Aero-tow. I like it very much-costs $1,000, and fits the SR 20 perfectly. See their web page, News, Politics, Sports, Mail & Latest Headlines - AOL.com, or call them at 920-648-8114. The owner’s name is Terry, a real gentleman. Aerotow is located in Lake Mills, Wi. Best, Dave

Andy: We would appreciate a pirep when you have had some experience with the unit. I gather you got the E100 model for the SR20. I am looking for a unit for the SR22. I am not so much concerned about the power of the unit (I think the E200 is more appropriate for the 3200# gross of the SR22) as I am the security of the attachment to the nosewheel. From the pictures of both the Aero-tow and the PowerTow units it seems that the Aero-tow has a better method of connecting to the nosewheel. I would be very much interested in your experience with the unit, particularly, does it stay connected to the nosewheel and does it damage the nosewheel faring?

I made a purchase from them also. Not yet delivered, so I can’t comment on the finished product. Service and accommodation, to this point, has been terrific.

Andy: We would appreciate a pirep when you have had some experience with the unit. I gather you got the E100 model for the SR20. I am looking for a unit for the SR22. I am not so much concerned about the power of the unit (I think the E200 is more appropriate for the 3200# gross of the SR22) as I am the security of the attachment to the nosewheel. From the pictures of both the Aero-tow and the PowerTow units it seems that the Aero-tow has a better method of connecting to the nosewheel. I would be very much interested in your experience with the unit, particularly, does it stay connected to the nosewheel and does it damage the nosewheel faring?

Will do. Expect my tow any day. By the way, I got the 200 also. Don’t want to be outdone by my 22 big brothers.

Andy

Which model did you buy for $1000.00 the 1/2 hp or the 1 hp model? (I could not find any prices on their web site). The previous posts from “PowerTow” suggest that some electric models may not have adequate power to pull the cirrus up inclines very well (I realize they did not mention the size of their unit or the brand). I have a pretty good incline from my taxi way to my hanger and am investigating various options (lawn tractor, tugs that lift the nose wheel, tugs that use the tow bar attach points etc) to tug my SR22 when I get it home in the Augest time frame.

bernie, it was the smaller model. The smaller model has a drive mechanism that is actually adapted from an electric wheelchair. I have a slight incline that it handles with ease. Since I am located in Madison, WI., the owner of Aero-Tow came to my hanger with both models. The larger unit is much larger, and would handle a twin. If there had been any question, I would have purchased the larger unit for $250 more, but I simply didn’t need it for my application. Regarding the tractor idea, I’ve done that with a twin Cessna I previously owned. It isn’t as painless as you might imagine. In addition to fabricating a tow bar, you may need to weld weights to the tractor to provide enough traction. I did with my twin, although maybe the lighter weight of the SR20/22 will not necessitate this.