adventures in engine monitoring, chapter 3

I received a call today from the local FAA FSDO guy–a very nice person who has tried to help me. He had bad news–the FAA certification gurus would not authorize the removal of the EGT/CHT gauge, and its replacement with the GEM monitor. Their objection was the lack of a defined green, yellow, and red line on the GEM’s CHT display. (never mind that the CHT is not required by the certification standards for an aircraft without cowl flaps) My proposal for either a placard with red line temp, or alternatively, a red decal denoting the red line on the GEM’s bar graph was deemed not sufficient. So, the bottom line is this–you can’t remove the factory gauge. It stays. The GEM is supplemental only. Take my word for it, its on the tablets handed down from on high.

Now, what are my choices:

1. Remove somethinge else, perhaps the amp gauge, and put the GEM in that hole. (I could replace the amp gauge with a smaller unit, and place that on the throttle quadrant, and I’ve already got a volt gauge in the clock)

2. Cut a hole in the bottom of the panel through the padded trim, and install the GEM.

3. Fabricate a bracket.

(I’m hesitant about #2 and #3, as I don’t want to butcher the panel, or diminish the appearance of the panel–after all, I’ve had a hodge-podge look in every other airplance I’ve ever owned, and vanity rules)

1. Swallow hard, and wait for ARNAV to perform.

I hope my adventure, and the money I’ve spent taking apart my panel looking for space have entertained, and helped others avoid a similar experience. Advice or opinions anyone?

Yes, go to a different FAA office. Call me if you want me to try at my place, my local guys do not know which way is up but who knows we may be a winner…

Cheers,

Woor

I received a call today from the local FAA FSDO guy–a very nice person who has tried to help me. He had bad news–the FAA certification gurus would not authorize the removal of the EGT/CHT gauge, and its replacement with the GEM monitor. Their objection was the lack of a defined green, yellow, and red line on the GEM’s CHT display. (never mind that the CHT is not required by the certification standards for an aircraft without cowl flaps) My proposal for either a placard with red line temp, or alternatively, a red decal denoting the red line on the GEM’s bar graph was deemed not sufficient. So, the bottom line is this–you can’t remove the factory gauge. It stays. The GEM is supplemental only. Take my word for it, its on the tablets handed down from on high.

Now, what are my choices:

1. Remove somethinge else, perhaps the amp gauge, and put the GEM in that hole. (I could replace the amp gauge with a smaller unit, and place that on the throttle quadrant, and I’ve already got a volt gauge in the clock)
  1. Cut a hole in the bottom of the panel through the padded trim, and install the GEM.
  1. Fabricate a bracket.

(I’m hesitant about #2 and #3, as I don’t want to butcher the panel, or diminish the appearance of the panel–after all, I’ve had a hodge-podge look in every other airplance I’ve ever owned, and vanity rules)

1. Swallow hard, and wait for ARNAV to perform.

I hope my adventure, and the money I’ve spent taking apart my panel looking for space have entertained, and helped others avoid a similar experience. Advice or opinions anyone?

Seriousness aside … You forgot the creative mechanic option: FAA says the instrument has to be in the plane, it doesn’t say you have to be able to see it! Leave it installed (behind the glare shield) and put in the GEM.

Actually, I did toy with the idea, but thought better of it and installed the GEM in the center stack.

Good luck … “don’t leave home without one!”

the FAA certification gurus would not authorize the removal of the EGT/CHT gauge, and its replacement with the GEM monitor. Their objection was the lack of a defined green, yellow, and red line on the GEM’s CHT display. (never mind that the CHT is not required by the certification standards for an aircraft without cowl flaps)

Ah, yes. And we wonder why it is a miracle that the Cirrus ever got certified in the first place. Thank you, FAA, for saving us. Heaven knows that without those defined lines on the GEM, we pilots would be timebombs in the sky. Let’s not mention that the aforementioned EGT/CHT gauge gives the pilot almost ZERO diagnostic information about 5 or our 6 cyls - at least it’s got color! Can there be any doubt that without those precisely drawn bands of primary hue, we owners would run our 200-300K investments right into the ground! I mean, I don’t know about you, but if it weren’t for the little colors on my airspeed guage, I’d just so confused… is 250kts too fast, hey where’d the wings go…