Engine monitoring

Ok. I’m convinced I need to add engine monitioring, but which one?

I’ve read the stuff from Insight and JPI, but am still confused.

Which one to install?

Are there major differnces?

Any of you out there to shed some light on this?

This forum could helpful to some of us on this topic.

Harrell

I have the same question. A fellow TB20 owner had an Insight GEM installed after his (very reputable) avionics shop refused to install a JPI because of (in the shop’s experience) dismal factory support.

On paper the JPI looks best to me, but I’m put off by their ads. They’re confusing, clearly put together by amateurs, and you can count on many misspellings (I almost look forward to finding them – and it’s not hard). Not at all confidence-inspiring. I brought this to JPIÂ’s attention a few months ago but since then, if anything, theyÂ’ve gotten worse.

So with two negative pieces of info (the shopÂ’s opinion and the lack of attention to detail in their ads) IÂ’ll pass on JPI.

Call me grumpy.

Joe Mazza

Which one to install?

Harrell

Joe, Dean, Walt & Gary: Where are you putting these instruments? I saw a picture of one engine monitor in the bolster of an SR20. Other than that, I can’t see any place to put a 3" instrument in either the SR20 or SR22. I have the “luxury” of waiting until November (???) for my SR22. Hopefully by then ARNAV will have it’s software & probe package in place. Does anybody have any further information on what the display will look like?

I’ve read the stuff from Insight and JPI, but am still confused

Which one to install?

Harrell

Hay! Ya don’t hafta spell gud to make lectronacs.

I have the same question. A fellow TB20 owner had an Insight GEM installed after his (very reputable) avionics shop refused to install a JPI because of (in the shop’s experience) dismal factory support.

On paper the JPI looks best to me, but I’m put off by their ads. They’re confusing, clearly put together by amateurs, and you can count on many misspellings (I almost look forward to finding them – and it’s not hard). Not at all confidence-inspiring. I brought this to JPIÂ’s attention a few months ago but since then, if anything, theyÂ’ve gotten worse.

So with two negative pieces of info (the shopÂ’s opinion and the lack of attention to detail in their ads) IÂ’ll pass on JPI.

Call me grumpy.

Joe Mazza

Which one to install?

Harrell

My JPI is amazing. Wouldn’t own an airplane without it. It came with a Video that takes you through everything. You can customize its output to your needs. A ten year-old could use it. If you want you can by the 800 unit and get a fuel computer built right in.

I especially like its LEAN FIND feature. I set myself up in cruise, push a button, and start to lean. The computer does the rest. It finds the first cyl. to peak, (rarely the hottest BTW) which then FLASHES in case you are blind, and keeps flashing while you find the peak to a degree, and then adjust accordingly.

I imagine all the other companies’ monitors do the same.

Dean

JPI has digital readouts for CHT and EGT and is more expensive. The GEM that I installed does not have a digital readout but rather uses a bar graph to depict CHT and EGT temps. EGT is a relative number so knowing the exact number is somewhat meaningless. GEM also comes with a video and has a blinking feature to tell you when you reached peak EGT, etc. I suspect both are equally easy to use. If I were to do it over again I would rely on my maintenance shop and what they have the most experience with. The purchase of the GEM (Spruce Electronics … I think that is where I bought it?) and the installation at Del Monte here in MRY was about $2,000. Hope this helps.

The GEM I had in my Duke had both bar graph and digital readouts for EGT, CHT and TIT. All of the data was stored in the instrument and could easily be downloaded into an Excel spreadsheet for further analysis and trend monitoring. From what I know JPI and GEM units are fairly comparable in display, presentation and reliability.

I would also not fly (especially a single) without engine monitoring information of this type.

Jerrold Seckler SR22 #69

JPI has digital readouts for CHT and EGT and is more expensive. The GEM that I installed does not have a digital readout but rather uses a bar graph to depict CHT and EGT temps. EGT is a relative number so knowing the exact number is somewhat meaningless. GEM also comes with a video and has a blinking feature to tell you when you reached peak EGT, etc. I suspect both are equally easy to use. If I were to do it over again I would rely on my maintenance shop and what they have the most experience with. The purchase of the GEM (Spruce Electronics … I think that is where I bought it?) and the installation at Del Monte here in MRY was about $2,000. Hope this helps.

I could tell you where I’d put mine, but it wouldn’t help much since I have a TB20. :wink: (I was a position holder, but bailed out to buy the Trinidad.)

I think Walt mentioned he had his near the flap selector in his SR20.

Joe Mazza

Joe, Dean, Walt & Gary: Where are you putting these instruments? I saw a picture of one engine monitor in the bolster of an SR20. Other than that, I can’t see any place to put a 3" instrument in either the SR20 or SR22. I have the “luxury” of waiting until November (???) for my SR22. Hopefully by then ARNAV will have it’s software & probe package in place. Does anybody have any further information on what the display will look like?

I’ve read the stuff from Insight and JPI, but am still confused

Which one to install?

Harrell