adventures in engine monitoring

So, convinced by the logic of fellow owners, I ordered an Insight GEM 602. What an adventure! Rather akin to rolling a boulder uphill with one’s nose.

First, I optimistically assumed there had to be somewhere to fit it. After all, Walt has one in his plane. Wrong. The stack on the C configuration precludes mounting it in the vicinity of the flap handle, likewise, the throttle quadrant is no good.

Next, I optimistically hope that I can replace the existing CHT/EGT with the GEM. Wrong, not certified, ditto for the 610 GEM, and the JPI.

Next, a creative brainstorm. Remove the existing CHT/EGT, and replace it with the GEM. After all, the sr20 is part 26 certified, and therefore a CHT/EGT is not required for an aircraft without cowl flaps. Looks promising. All I’d need, I assume, is a field form 337 from the local FAA FSDO.

Wrong. Cirrus lists the EGT/CHT in the POH on the equipment list, and does not denote whether it is required or optional, simply as equipment on the aircraft during certification.

So, the local FSDO is unable to sign off on the removal of the existing EGT/CHT. Instead, I have a proposed form 337 going to the FAA in Des Plaines, Illinois for their consideration. Should take a couple of weeks to get an answer. If any of you have any other creative ideas about how to install a monitor in a C configuration without removing something, I’m all ears. Best, Dave

Dave,

Two ideas. Talk to Cirrus about a 337. Or…

I’ll just e-mail the other one, but someone on this forum has gone through this already. I want to check with him before I speak for him.

Dean

Remember the good old days?

I had a big RPM gauge on the dashboard. I think you could actually come up with a nice looking cover and place the gauge on the center as far forward as possible. It would not be blocking your outside view. Or better yet, get FAA to turn on the light and move to at least 1960 era, we may be able to get some things accomplished. Best of luck. At least you have an airplane to have problems, most of us wish we had your problems… :slight_smile:

Woor

So, convinced by the logic of fellow owners, I ordered an Insight GEM 602. What an adventure! Rather akin to rolling a boulder uphill with one’s nose.

First, I optimistically assumed there had to be somewhere to fit it. After all, Walt has one in his plane. Wrong. The stack on the C configuration precludes mounting it in the vicinity of the flap handle, likewise, the throttle quadrant is no good.

Next, I optimistically hope that I can replace the existing CHT/EGT with the GEM. Wrong, not certified, ditto for the 610 GEM, and the JPI.

Next, a creative brainstorm. Remove the existing CHT/EGT, and replace it with the GEM. After all, the sr20 is part 26 certified, and therefore a CHT/EGT is not required for an aircraft without cowl flaps. Looks promising. All I’d need, I assume, is a field form 337 from the local FAA FSDO.

Wrong. Cirrus lists the EGT/CHT in the POH on the equipment list, and does not denote whether it is required or optional, simply as equipment on the aircraft during certification.

So, the local FSDO is unable to sign off on the removal of the existing EGT/CHT. Instead, I have a proposed form 337 going to the FAA in Des Plaines, Illinois for their consideration. Should take a couple of weeks to get an answer. If any of you have any other creative ideas about how to install a monitor in a C configuration without removing something, I’m all ears. Best, Dave

Dave: Yikes! If Cirrus would make it an option on the aircraft, would there be a STC on the Insight so that it could replace the existing CHT/EGT? Can you get a STC on the install? If you are successful in getting a STC that would make it a lot easier for us following in your footsteeps.

I didn’t realize that there were advantages to being so “cheap” and getting an ‘A’ model. David, you have covered all the bases that I touched when I talked to Dave Humphreys (Del Monte Aviation Maintenance in MRY). He thinks that he could get a 337 approved, but it is a poor way to deal with this topic, which should be so basic and straightforward.

Hmmmm, let me see if I got this right: a plane owner wants to install a SIX probes for EGT and SIX probes for CHT instead of only ONE for EGT and ONE for CHT. Engine monitoring would be improved, the pilot would feel more comfortable, and problems would be detected earlier, BUT the FAA says no (to increased safety!!!) DUMB.

Walt, another contributor to this forum had it so

right a few months ago when he exclaimed, “The law is an ass.”

Hmmmm, let me see if I got this right: a plane owner wants to install a SIX probes for EGT and SIX probes for CHT instead of only ONE for EGT and ONE for CHT. Engine monitoring would be improved, the pilot would feel more comfortable, and problems would be detected earlier, BUT the FAA says no (to increased safety!!!) DUMB.

BUT the FAA says no (to increased safety!!!) DUMB.

The problem is that the FAA (and CASA and the JAA and the CAA etc.) doesn’t enforce safety, it enforces rules. I’m convinced there must be a better approach, but I don’t know what it is.

Walt, another contributor to this forum had it so

right a few months ago when he exclaimed, “The law is an ass.”

This just in! The new FAA slogon “Were not happy till your un-happy!”…ED

Dave: Yikes! If Cirrus would make it an option on the aircraft, would there be a STC on the Insight so that it could replace the existing CHT/EGT? Can you get a STC on the install? If you are successful in getting a STC that would make it a lot easier for us following in your footsteeps.

I know it’s been asked recently but I haven’t seen any answers – maybe someone who’s been up in Duluth recently can help out?

Back in Feb, someone posted that Arnav & Cirrus were gonna install the engine monitoring package in a plane around March 5th, with an annoucement for retrofit kits (and their pricing) shortly afterwards. Does anyone know whether this installation has taken place? Was it successful? Are they almost ready to start shipping retrofit kits?

Seems like this would be a more elegant solution and potentially less painful than trying to get an STC for either replacing the existing CHT/EGT or to mount a GEM/JPI/Insight in some other location.

Steve